• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A letter concerning CCW on college campus - Please read and comment!

There's currently a bill in the Texas Legislature that would allow CCW on college campuses for students 21+. It would even extend to private universities such as mine. Unfortunately, even here in Texas, my school and many others are voicing outrage over the idea. So I've decided to write to the VP of Student Affairs and probably to the campus newspaper. I was hoping some of you could give me some constructive criticism on the letter before I hit the "Send" button. Realize: I am sending a letter over an extremely controversial issue to my school's administration, so I'm not exactly in the position to jump down their throat. I've tried to come across as professionally and sincerely as possible while still pushing to get the point across. I realize my letter is somewhat "vague," but I didn't wish to get into a debate of statistics with an administrator; my goal is merely to tell them I disagree with their policies. Here goes:

Dr. White,

Over the past week, the Texas Legislature has been considering a bill that would allow the concealed carry of handguns on college campuses. I understand that this is an extremely delicate issue that has caused much controversy in the past. It is clear in the article, however, that SMU has decided to take a stance against this legislation. As a student, I strongly urge you and the rest of SMU's administrative faculty to reconsider such a position.

On an open campus such as ours, it is hardly unimaginable that someone could endanger our community. On other campuses, such as those of Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University, the ideal of a "gun-free zone" led to an ultimately defenseless community held captive by an intruder. The victims there were, quite literally, "fish in a barrel."
I'm often asked in surveys and by prospective students if I feel safe at SMU. The answer is "yes, I feel safe." But I remind myself that the victims of school shootings across the country also felt safe just minutes before their murder. I say this to scare neither you nor our community, but to show that no college campus is immune from attack.

We are fortunate to be protected by several competent and attentive police departments. But, as the saying goes, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." We saw just how quickly Seung-Hui Cho devastated the Virginia Tech community. Our brave police officers cannot be everywhere all the time. We cannot expect our police officers to be at the scene of an attack when it first occurs. To do so would be placing a bet on the lives of our students and our faculty. We cannot rely on SMU Aware to protect our community when SMU Aware is a reactionary defense; it requires an attack to occur and be reported before it can ever spread the warning. This is not to say that such programs such as SMU Aware are not important - indeed they are a strong step in the right direction. Rather, what I hope is realized is that the next step is to allow our students and faculty the right to protect each other.

There are schools in this country that allow students to carry concealed firearms on campus. I assure you that many people at these schools felt similar concerns held by SMU's administration. But to their fortunate surprise, there has not been a single incident at these schools. There have not been the dreaded shootouts over a failing grade. There have not been angry students waving guns in class. There have not been accidental discharges in class. It is upsetting to me that SMU's administration voices these fears. It shows a lack of trust in our student body. I resent the idea that our students are not capable of being responsible with firearms. How can we trust our students to go out into the world and create magnificent progress if we cannot trust them to be responsible and safe with a firearm?

I recognize and appreciate the concern that firearms on college campuses would only lead to more gun violence. I cannot, however, hide my own fears; I trust that my concerns too will be acknowledged, appreciated, and considered when SMU takes such stances against Representative Driver's bill.

I appreciate your time and consideration of this letter. I trust that you understand that my disagreement with the university's statement is solely rooted in promoting our common goal of creating a safer learning environment for each member of our beloved Mustang family.

Regards,

CJ Camerato

Here is an article for reference that talks about the bill:
http://www.star-telegram.com/legislature/story/1284980.html

Last edited:
CJ,

Looks good to me, then again I am no scholar. My guess is that the leaders of the faculty are not all from Texas and may have yankee liberal leanings as do many institutions in this once great land.

Hopefully, your letter will enlighten some of those with power but more than likely will fall on blind eyes. Thank you for trying to do the right thing. I believe all may not be lost after all. Keep us posted.

john

Bring up the example of Israel, where ( as I understand it) all or most Teachers are armed, to provide protection to Students. They understand the foolishness of "gun free zones" and the reality that all that does is create an open invitation for disaster.

Kalahari,

Good letter. Here's a couple of suggestions:
1) reconsider "hardly unimaginable" and phrase it positively. Something like: "On an open campus such as ours, it is easy to imagine that someone could endanger our community."
2) "There are schools in this country that allow students to carry concealed firearms on campus." - list them. (is this true?)

+1 for doing this.

Matt

Your letter will go straight to the circular file, I am afraid to say.

While I suspect you're right, Jose, at least he's doing something beside bitching and whining. Perhaps if more gun owners took such initiative we wouldn't be in such a state now.

While I suspect you're right, Jose, at least he's doing something beside bitching and whining. Perhaps if more gun owners took such initiative we wouldn't be in such a state now.
The effort should be aimed at those with the power to write law. It is wasted on academia, a group of people that abandoned critical and rational thought for dogma and ideology long ago.

I have written plenty of well reasoned letters to my state representatives and will continue to do so until the firearm laws of Ohio suit me.

Or, they could declare you a danger to the campus and ban you from the property until you have had a psych exam at your own expense. It has happened elsewhere.

The campus newspaper is a reasonable outlet; the administration is not.

The universal standard in academia is "no guns" and any administrator taking a public position to the contrary is doing so at risk to their current position and future employment prospects (sad but true).

Might want to consider adding something about the SW Virginia Law campus. Students retrieving firearms and stopping & subduing the assailant in contrast to the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University examples.

Good Luck with it

Here's my changes:

Dr. White,

Over the past week, the Texas Legislature has been considering a bill that would allow the concealed carry of handguns on college campuses. I understand that this is an extremely delicate issue that has caused much controversy in the past. It is clear in the article, however, that SMU has decided to take a stance against this legislation. As a student, I strongly urge you and the rest of SMU's administrative faculty to reconsider such a position.

On an open campus such as ours, it is hardly unimaginable that someone could endanger our community. On other campuses, such as those of Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University, the ideal of a "gun-free zone" led to an ultimately defenseless community held captive by an intruder. The victims there were[STRIKE], quite literally, "fish in a barrel."[/STRIKE] left totally defenseless as a result of laws that prohibit the carry of concealed firearms on campus. I'm often asked in surveys and by prospective students if I feel safe at SMU. The answer is "yes, I feel safe." But I remind myself that the victims of school shootings across the country also felt safe just minutes before their murder. I say this to scare neither you nor our community, but to show that no college campus is immune from attack.

We are fortunate to be protected by several competent and attentive police departments. But, as the saying goes, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." We saw just how quickly Seung-Hui Cho devastated the Virginia Tech community. Our brave police officers cannot be everywhere all the time. We cannot expect our police officers to be at the scene of an attack when it first occurs. To do so would be placing a bet on the lives of our students and our faculty. We cannot rely on SMU Aware to protect our community when SMU Aware is a reactionary defense; it requires an attack to occur and be reported before it can ever spread the warning. This is not to say that such programs such as SMU Aware are not important - indeed they are a strong step in the right direction. Rather, what I hope is realized is that the next step is to allow our students and faculty the right to protect each other.

There are schools in this country that allow students to carry concealed firearms on campus (consider naming them, e.g. Utah?). I assure you that many people at these schools felt similar concerns held by SMU's administration. But to their fortunate surprise, there has not been a single incident at these schools. There have not been the dreaded shootouts over a failing grade. There have not been angry students waving guns in class. There have not been accidental discharges in class. It is upsetting to me that SMU's administration voices these fears while the facts strongly suggest that these fears are totally unwarranted. It shows a lack of trust in our student body. I resent the idea that our students are not capable of being responsible with firearms. How can we trust our students to go out into the world and create magnificent progress if we cannot trust them to be responsible and safe with a firearm?

[STRIKE]I recognize and appreciate the concern that firearms on college campuses would only lead to more gun violence. I cannot, however, hide my own fears;[/STRIKE] (consider removing because the facts suggest that these fears are unfounded)I trust that my concerns too will be acknowledged, appreciated, and considered when SMU takes such stances against Representative Driver's bill.

I appreciate your time and consideration of this letter. I trust that you understand that my disagreement with the university's statement is solely rooted in promoting our common goal of creating a safer learning environment for each member of our beloved Mustang family.

Regards,

CJ Camerato

Thank you all very much for the support and your comments. I'm definintely going to string some ideas in there.

I'm actually quite confident that it won't. Our school has a track record of being extremely responsive to student needs and desires. We're one of the few schools that has a student on the Board of Trustees.

1) reconsider "hardly unimaginable" and phrase it positively. Something like: "On an open campus such as ours, it is easy to imagine that someone could endanger our community."

Yeah...that sentence was always a little awkwardly written but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thanks!

2) "There are schools in this country that allow students to carry concealed firearms on campus." - list them. (is this true?)

Yes. I believe the entire state of Utah allows students over 21 to CCW on campus.

The effort should be aimed at those with the power to write law.

While I understand your reasoning, the educational system does have a lot of influence in making these laws.

Mike, thanks for the edits! Reads much smoother now.

Nice letter. Lots of good comments.

As one (myself) that is currently in the process of getting my handgun permit, you might want to educate about what that means. I can envision school authorities are not informed as to what it means to legally carry a concealed weapon. The reality, at least in my state, is that a handgun safety course is required as well as a permit which includes background checks,etc. So to legally carry one must go through more than sticking a gun in your pocket. Also, something about those that are not carrying guns legally are already doing it today. By passing legislation that students can legally carry a concealed weapon means that "good" people can now protect themselves and others around them because the "bad" people already have them at school.

Evan

Evan, that's a great point to make. Hopefully it will get through to them. I've shared this with some of my more anti-gun (at least on college campuses) friends and they think the point you make is solid. Thanks for that!

You may want to check your school's newspapers letter to the editor policy. Typically, much like mainstream newspapers school publications have a certain word limit. I used to publish a magazine that was meant to compete with the established school media and I imposed no such limit but I know I was the exception rather than the rule. Regardless, you should consider maybe shortening the letter a bit, taking out weaker arguments and consolidating the better ones. The average college student's attention span is a couple of sentences. If they're interested they'll read on if not they'll pass it by as mindless drivel just like the rest of the articles. To overcome this challenge maybe add what they call a "hook." A hook is a provocative entrance to catch the reader's attention to entice them to read on. I realize you want to be professional in your letter to the administration which is great but if you submit it to your school's newspaper you have to consider your new audience. Perhaps two versions might be in your best interest.

This is a good letter. I would suggest changing the line that states
But to their fortunate surprise, there has not been a single incident at these schools.
because it reinforces the idea that it is a surprise that there has been no incident, and therefore it is simply in the hands of fate. This may be a good time to tie in the requirements for a Texas CCW permit, and the great responsibility legally armed citizens take upon themselves - both to carry a gun and to do so with appropriate training and judgement.

I personally wouldn't point out that people can be carrying illegally either - the admins could think "cool, we'll just put in metal detectors and we'll all be safe."

Great job, keep fighting for our rights and safety. We need to address it from the top (legislation) down and the bottom (private property owners) up. We need more idealistic people with pro-gun-rights opinions trying to make a difference, there are plenty of them on the other side.

Good letter. I would definitely get it put out publicly in the school paper also if you can. Maybe it will get even a few students to stop and think for a change.

Back
Top Bottom