A lesson on the AR 15

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
Does anyone have the time to explain how one goes about getting a lower and upper and creating an AR 15? Would it be less expensive? Once completed, I would also be curious to know how one determines if the thing is legal in MA. Sounds like it could be fun.

it depends on the deal you can get on the parts. i got a good deal on my lower from a NES member and i bought my upper without a BCG. i snagged a BCG off of AR15.com and i was good to go. at the time i saved $100-200 if i were to buy an AR at market price. prices are going crazy now... still.

you cannot mate pre-ban uppers with post-ban lowers. AFAIK and IANAL you can mate a pre-ban lower with a post-ban upper. the rule of thumb here is no flash hider, bayonet lug, or collapsible stock.

the lower is what is considered the "gun", you can buy uppers all day long without any need for a FFL or FA-10. you can register the lower as the whole gun and avoid the hassle of filling out a FA-10 once you mate it with an upper. again IANAL.

There are a ton of threads here and elsewhere detailing the process - try the search function.

Does anyone have the time to explain how one goes about getting a lower and upper and creating an AR 15? Would it be less expensive? Once completed, I would also be curious to know how one determines if the thing is legal in MA. Sounds like it could be fun.

There are many ways to get a lower & upper , unfortunately since Obama took office the prices have skyrocketed . so either way you're going to pay , at this point I think it's cheaper to buy a complete rifle than start from the bottom up.

If you're still interested in building one you could always try the classified on this board or the equipment exchange on AR15.com you should find everything you need for a complete build or bide your time until the prices come back down to Earth ( if they do )

In 1994 Bill Clinton passed the Assault Weapons Ban , which stipulated that AR15's in particular couldn't have any collapsible butt stocks , flash suppressors , bayonet lugs , and a magazine capacity over 10 rounds , the AWB lasted 10 years and after it expired in 2004 , Massachusetts decided to keep it

In order for a rifle to be Mass complaint it can't have any of the above features unless it was made before the AWB in 1994 and left the factory as a complete rifle . 30 round magazines are okay to use in a post-ban gun as long as they were made before the ban in 1994

If you want to build a pre-ban rile your best bet is to buy a pre-ban lower , which you can buy on Gunbroker.com or GunsAmerica , or again here or on AR15 , however it must have left the factory as a complete rifle in order to build it as such , then you can add what parts you like , which gets expensive fast

You have a few options , buy a brand new stripped lower for $200+ dollars and forget the collapsible stock and flash hider and bayonet lug or pay $700+ dollars for a preban lower and install these options , my first AR15 was a Mass complaint one with a pinned stock so it didn't adjust ( this alone was annoying enough to want a preban ) I could care less about a bayonet lug or flash hider but it's all a matter of how important are these things to you and how much money you want to spend

Your first AR15 I'd suggest a Mass compliant post ban which you could probably get for $1000-1200 dollars if you look hard enough and if you can't live without the pre-ban features sell it off and buy a pre-ban lower and start saving for parts , either way you have a lot of options.

Good luck I hope this helps.

I have to wait till oct/nov for this:
Top_End_Smooth_Big.jpg

it depends on the deal you can get on the parts. i got a good deal on my lower from a NES member and i bought my upper without a BCG. i snagged a BCG off of AR15.com and i was good to go. at the time i saved $100-200 if i were to buy an AR at market price. prices are going crazy now... still.

you cannot mate pre-ban uppers with post-ban lowers. AFAIK and IANAL you can mate a pre-ban lower with a post-ban upper. the rule of thumb here is no flash hider, bayonet lug, or collapsible stock.

the lower is what is considered the "gun", you can buy uppers all day long without any need for a FFL or FA-10. you can register the lower as the whole gun and avoid the hassle of filling out a FA-10 once you mate it with an upper. again IANAL.

IIRC, uppers are not part of what was in the AWB, thus are not pre- or post-ban. It was just accessories that you add to them, and that was dictated by the date of the receiver. It was the lowers, so you could not attach a bayo lug, collapsible stock or a flash hider on a post-ban MA compliant AR15 (meaning the receiver was post-ban), but you can on an AR15 that is made of a pre-ban lower.

Back
Top Bottom