A few CT shop observations

In no particular order:

Hoffman's Newington CT:
Picked up a new gun there recently, dealt with Patty. Overall very smooth transaction. Actually had the best price around for that particular weapon. I would return again. As far as dealing with them on the phone...I have had a few nightmare experiences.

Bethany Firearms Bethany CT:
Chris is by far and away the best Guy to do business with in the state of Connecticut. His prices are always fantastic and he is very accommodating. It is always a pleasure dealing with this shop.

K-5 arms Milford CT:
Only bought one firearm from them in the past, prices are too high. a search on this board will yield more reasons to avoid K-5

Forest & Field Outdoor Specialties Norwalk CT:
It is difficult to understand why this place is still in business. Scott the owner is by far the rudest, most arrogant Proprietor that i have ever dealt with. The only thing that you can be assured of when shopping here is that you will pay at least 10-15% higher prices than anywhere else around.

Guns & Safes Unlimited Milford CT
Really nice shop to look around. Some prices could definitely be better...interesting cast of characters working there.

All just personal observations and opinions of course........check them out for yourself

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Hoffman's Newington CT:
Picked up a new gun there recently, dealt with Patty. Overall very smooth transaction. Actually had the best price around for that particular weapon. I would return again. As far as dealing with them on the phone...I have had a few nightmare experiences.

Bethany Firearms Bethany CT:
Chris is by far and away the best Guy to do business with in the state of Connecticut. His prices are always fantastic and he is very accommodating. It is always a pleasure dealing with this shop.

Never been to either of these...Thanks for the reviews.

K-5 arms Milford CT:
Only bought one firearm from them in the past, prices are too high. a search on this board will yield more reasons to avoid K-5.

Is this the same shop that used to be in Stratford?...I took my very first Basic Pistol course there years back. Frank was kind of a strange guy, but the prices were definitely too high.

Forest & Field Outdoor Specialties Norwalk CT:
It is difficult to understand why this place is still in business. Scott the owner is by far the rudest, most arrogant Proprietor that i have ever dealt with. The only thing that you can be assured of when shopping here is that you will pay at least 10-15% higher prices than anywhere else around.

I couldn't agree more...Scott Moss is a no good piece of shit, in my opinion. The only redeeming value to that shop was that you could rent a gun to shoot if you wanted to try it out.

Guns & Safes Unlimited Milford CT
Really nice shop to look around. Some prices could definitely be better...interesting cast of characters working there.

I agree...Nice folks there, but the prices were a little on the higher side, but I worked a pretty good deal there once.

Is D'Andreas still open in Stratford? I bought my very first pistol there on the day I got my Pistol Permit [smile]

hoffman's opened a new store across and own the rd from the old one. They have an indoor range that just opened too. The store is really nice and pretty big. Have just about anything you could imagine. Prices are decent. I know they have a few crates of yugo sks's for 200 a pop. They have just about every new handgun you could want, and a decent used section also.

Cool, I have been lurking around this board and finally a subject I thought I may add my 2 cents on.

Hoffmans (Newington) - Been to the old store right before they moved, the store was huge and there were a ton of people there i did pick up a handgun cleaning kit for a great price.

Forest & Field (Norwalk) - Couldn't agree more this guy (Scott Moss) is the biggest dick around, my office used to be down the street and we would walk over at lunch and look around he is just an a**hole plain and simple.

K-5 - (Milford) - I know he used to have a place in Stratford to which I have never been, been to the new spot and just looked around.

D'andreras (Startford/Bridgeport)- I didn't think he was still open, been there once a long time ago and it was not the best experience they were kind of dicks as well.

CT gun exchange (Monroe) - Havent been in a while but the old owner again was a cranky SOB, large selection reasonable prices, I hear the new owners are nice.

Guns & Safes unlimited (Milford) - I was here when they first opened and this place was huge could spend (I think we did) hours just looking around I think (not sure) some of these guys had something to do with D'eandreas.

Valley Fireamrs (Shelton) - Did a lot of buisness here especially when Rick first opened, small place but has a lot of stuff, last visit Rick seemed cranky but I think he is just frustrated with the state of affairs in this state, good place to go.

Bethany firearms (Bethany) - Never been here but I hear his prices are great again a small shop.

Bob's (Wilton/Norwalk/maybe) - this place is great small shop the front used to sell unfinished furniture but the people are super friendly.

The place I miss the most is Bear's paw which was in Derby small shop the guy was super firendly had good prices but after he passed away they closed the shop.

Ding Ding Ding on Forest and Field. I've bought 3 rifles there. 1 I over paid, 1 I under paid and 1 it was right on.

I then had my company buy Glocks through him for our armed officers. Until I pulled his BS card with quotes from other gun stores, and I talked to Glock about what the LEO/Fire/EMT/Security discount was supposed to be he tried to not only over bill me, but tried to make so the pistols came with only 1 mag.

I'll give my extra brief reviews.....

Chris' Gun Range - (guilford) real good people, bought a few guns there, pricing varies but have gotten good deals

Hoffmans (newington)- nice new shop, huge selection,avg prices to a little high, heard not so great stuff but met the owner- seemed nice

Newington Gun Exchange - nice knowledgeable people,large selection, reasonable prices - some better than others - bought 1 gun there

Hansens (southport) owner personable, not much but old stuff, under appraised dad's collection then offered to buy it all - sketchy.

Ron's guns (old lyme) owner kinda crabby, decent size selection of mostly hunting and hand guns, high prices

NE stream & field - (middlefield) sparse selection, high prices

Milford gun & safe : interesting crew, huge selection, avg prices

>>Scott the owner is by far the rudest, most arrogant Proprietor that i have ever dealt with.<<

Obviously you've never dealt with Al at Sportsman's Den in Amherst, NH!! [smile]

If you make up to the NorthWest corner, check out "The Semi-Auto Gun Shop"
on Main St. (Rt.44) in Winsted, Jerry Gallo, owner, great guy, smaller shop but stuffed to the gills, resonable prices.

Does he have regular hours? I see you are from Torrington have you ever been to Tactical arms which is in Torington? I have not heard much about it?

Well I made a vist to "semi auto gun shop" in Winsted and you were right nice shop, Jack was very friendly I would consider a purchase here for sure. [grin]

Alos stopped @ Tactical arms in Torrington, definately not as friendly seemed like if you weren't LE or interested in class III they didn't want to speak to you. [thinking]

Final stop was "Sportsmen's Outpost" in Wolcott, now this is the gun shop I like friendly well stocked and that local feel. [smile]

DaveyG,

I drive by the Semi Auto Gun Shop quite often and he seems to have regular hours. Check of course as many of the smaller shops are closed Sunday and and maybe Monday.

He is indeed friendly as stated. The shop is small and has pistols and those military semi rifles. I am more interested myself in nice bolt rifles etc.

Tactical Arms in Torrington has more of those military guns and an indoor range too.

Last edited:
I always buy from CT Gun Exchange. The owner and staff there are awesome to deal with. Great prices.

K-5 Nice selection but over prices. The owner tells you that what you are buying is the best gun for the money and if you wanted to traid it in, it sure is a piece of junk. At best they are used car salesman.

Guns and Safe Unlimited- Great group of people, good prices on somethings.

Thats my .02

I always buy from CT Gun Exchange. The owner and staff there are awesome to deal with. Great prices.

I haven't been there in years (CT Gun Exchange) I think it has changed hands since then cause there used to be this really grumpy older man (Stanley I think) who was not very friendly I will have to check it out again.

Last edited:
I know they have a few crates of yugo sks's for 200 a pop.

Just so everyone knows, to save fellow SKS fans a trip, they have sold out of those Yugos, and as of a few days ago, the latest news is they are expecting another shipment of them in within a month... So I'm not sure how many they will have available, but the sales person told me they should be selling for the same price, around the $200 mark, which is a steal, and I expect them to go fast.. I will be picking up another one or two, since I absolutely love those Yugos... This is the most under rated assault style rifle there is, and best yet, here in CT, they are completely legal... as opposed to the AK's due to CT's not letting go of the assault rifle ban...

Just so everyone knows, to save fellow SKS fans a trip, they have sold out of those Yugos, and as of a few days ago, the latest news is they are expecting another shipment of them in within a month... So I'm not sure how many they will have available, but the sales person told me they should be selling for the same price, around the $200 mark, which is a steal, and I expect them to go fast.. I will be picking up another one or two, since I absolutely love those Yugos... This is the most under rated assault style rifle there is, and best yet, here in CT, they are completely legal... as opposed to the AK's due to CT's not letting go of the assault rifle ban...

shouldnt sell that fast tho, the last batch took a while to go

Back
Top Bottom