A common sense approach to gun control

Where there once was a man in the mountain
Hmm... I opened my local newspaper and found this under the opinions.... looks like MA is spreading north:

http://www.derrynews.com/opinion/local_story_147133745.html

A common sense approach to gun control

My View
Alexandra McKinney

"Live free or die" may be our motto, but we must take a hard line when it comes to the tragic results of allowing guns to fall into dangerous hands.

With two recent instances of gun violence in Derry on the same day, it's time to scrutinize how our state is, or isn't, working to prevent gun violence. Both sides must rise above partisanship and embrace basic state gun control standards—universal background checks and mandatory licensing—to help New Hampshire forge reasonable compromises between the rights of responsible gun owners and common-sense measures and set a precedent for other states and the nation.

Think about this. New Hampshire has few gun control laws beyond federal requirements. We don't ban concealed weapons, assault weapons, or large-capacity magazines. While these subjects are more controversial, both sides can compromise by requiring universal background checks and licensing.

These regulations may have been unnecessary in the past, but as times change, our state must adapt to avoid dangerous consequences. Though New Hampshire's population growth is steadily around the national average, it's clear that more people are moving to our towns and living closer together. We must be proactive in preventing the rise in gun violence associated with population growth, rather than reacting after the fact.

It is necessary to close a loophole in the Brady Act that leaves openings to purchase guns without background checks through gun shows and private transactions. Currently, the Brady Act only mandates background checks for purchases from authorized dealers.

Criminals and those under 21 exploit this loophole to acquire weapons. Since the Brady Act came into existence, it has prevented 1.6 million people prohibited from buying guns from doing so, but tragedies like the Columbine shootings remind us that this restriction isn't enough. Background checks are not required in 40 percent of gun purchases. We must make sure that people who are prohibited from buying guns from federal dealers won't be able to buy them in private, unregulated New Hampshire markets either.

We must also mandate licensing for potential owners before they purchase guns. Responsible gun owners could easily complete this process, while it deters those who want guns for criminal purposes. Licensing is effective, judging by a Johns Hopkins' study showing that states requiring licenses trace, on average, 2.5 times fewer guns used in crimes to sales made in the state. We wouldn't want to share roads with unlicensed drivers, and we wouldn't feel safe swimming or fishing in lakes alongside unlicensed boat operators. Logically, we then shouldn't be forced to share our forests, our towns—our entire state—with people who haven't been properly trained in handling deadly weapons. As an additional dissuasion to criminals, licensing allows us to keep records of weapons and owners, helping police solve crimes.

Despite the sensibilities of these regulations, gun control is needlessly divisive in state and national politics. Most gun rights advocates resist common-sense regulations, bowing to the pressure of the NRA, since they fear such measures will lead to a comprehensive gun ban. On the contrary, these laws aren't designed to prohibit law-abiding citizens from owning guns. Instead, they work toward universal goals of keeping guns away from dangerous individuals and decreasing gun violence.

We must, as a community, state and nation, bring Democrats and Republicans together behind legislation for universal background checks and licensing. We must make this issue a priority by holding New Hampshire politicians accountable for their lack of action this past year, supporting candidates who will back these measures, and compromising to overcome gridlock and implement this mutually beneficial legislation.

We can hope for national action, such as the passage of Senator Lautenberg, Senator McCarthy and Senator Castle's recent bill to close the Brady Act's loophole. However, if we begin these initiatives in New Hampshire, we will reap the benefits and set an example for other states and the nation.

By rallying grassroots support for gun control as a priority, we can urge our governor and legislators to action rather than accepting silence.

Rather than reacting to violence after it has occurred, let's begin proactively by putting common-sense regulations on guns. What will it take to start conversations about gun control? Our reputation for Yankee tenacity and common sense should compel us to raise our voices and insist that it's possible and necessary to protect the right to bear arms and the need to live in safety, rather than wait for further incidences of violence to bring this issue to light.

ÔÇæÔÇæÔÇæ
Alexandra McKinney is a public policy major at Stanford University. She has lived in New Hampshire for 12 years and graduated in 2008 from Londonderry High School.

Another highly educated fool that thinks those intent on murder and mayhem care what the laws are or what the consequences will be for their actions.

Not old enough to own a gun. Doesn't even live in NH 9 months out of the year. Hasn't a clue about what she speaks. [rolleyes]

Quote" Alexandra McKinney is a public policy major at Stanford University. She has lived in New Hampshire for 12 years and graduated in 2008 from Londonderry High School."

12 years huh, bet she's a transplanted Massh*le!!

As an additional dissuasion to criminals, licensing allows us to keep records of weapons and owners, helping police solve crimes.

she's brilliant! [puke]

This person is not from NH. She may live in NH but she's not from NH. If she was born in NH she wouldn't be from NH.

She ought to be tarred and feathered and rolled south to Massatwoshits where she belongs!

My response...

Mrs. McKinney,

I don't ask the government to strip you of your civil rights, so I will kindly demand that you refrain from doing so.

In addition to the history and debates leading up to the formation of our Constitution, please verse yourself in the history of gun control and its prior successful applications. If you do, you will note that the only "successful" application of gun control is accomplished by violent dictatorships and genocidal governments...

Gun control simply does not control crime - even our own government admits this. (see the CDC's evaluation which showed no evidence of efficacy, or see the many statistics both here and in the US that show violent crimes rates increasing with implementation of gun control measures).

Regardless - this is an enumerated right of citizenship in the United States and simply not up for debate and more than free speech, religion, etc...

Our right to keep and bear arms serves as an important check and balance to the power of the government so that we might maintain peaceful consenting rule rather than authoritarian rule. I hope the author comes to understand this before we all have to re-learn this lesson the hard way.

My response...

Mrs. McKinney,

I don't ask the government to strip you of your civil rights, so I will kindly demand that you refrain from doing so.

In addition to the history and debates leading up to the formation of our Constitution, please verse yourself in the history of gun control and its prior successful applications. If you do, you will note that the only "successful" application of gun control is accomplished by violent dictatorships and genocidal governments...

Gun control simply does not control crime - even our own government admits this. (see the CDC's evaluation which showed no evidence of efficacy, or see the many statistics both here and in the US that show violent crimes rates increasing with implementation of gun control measures).

Regardless - this is an enumerated right of citizenship in the United States and simply not up for debate and more than free speech, religion, etc...

Our right to keep and bear arms serves as an important check and balance to the power of the government so that we might maintain peaceful consenting rule rather than authoritarian rule. I hope the author comes to understand this before we all have to re-learn this lesson the hard way.

I saw that - great comment and thank you for posting it.

I find it interesting that most of the pro-gun comments I've seen after reading various anti-gun arguments in the media are very civil. They are always well thought out, informative, and they don't attack the person writing the article OR comments after the article. The comments attacking people instead of their arguments are largely anti-gun in nature.

I'm proud to be a 2A supporter and proud to be an American!

As Ronald Reagan (actually) said, "it is not that liberals do not know anything, it is that they know so many things that are not so". She is just another clueless liberal.

As Ronald Reagan (actually) said, "it is not that liberals do not know anything, it is that they know so many things that are not so". She is just another clueless liberal.
Don't dismiss them as harmless though - they operate in numbers and they are more dangerous than any other single group of humans that have ever walked the earth in terms of total body count... [thinking] 100M and counting...

Sounds reasonable to me. What harm could come of full registration and tracking of all weapons and owners by the state? If you look back on history nothing bad has ever come of this!

Right Ms. McKinney? You stupid, stupid whore.

I'm just so god damned sick and tired of these anti gun mental midgets that I truly and sincerely wish that every single one of them finds themselves in a position where they downright just really NEED a gun.

I just left a comment as Beansie_time with links and facts that will most certainly be ignored.

Last edited:
She just graduated from high school a year ago and is a public policy major?Please, she is a impressionable child (maybe 18 or 19) who has been afflicted by liberal BS of a left wing institution housed in a state that can't even pay its bills.
I give her opinion as much credence as ass wipe. And this is about as much time as I will spend on misguided child. For now anyway! I am sure they gave her a A in political science class.

It is necessary to close a loophole in the Brady Act that leaves openings to purchase guns without background checks through gun shows and private transactions. Currently, the Brady Act only mandates background checks for purchases from authorized dealers.

Criminals and those under 21 exploit this loophole to acquire weapons. Since the Brady Act came into existence, it has prevented 1.6 million people prohibited from buying guns from doing so, but tragedies like the Columbine shootings remind us that this restriction isn't enough.

Hey clueless, get your facts straight.
The Columbine killers didn't buy their guns at a gun show.
Some were stolen, and the others were obtained by a "Straw Purchaser".
From what I understand about the existing laws on-the-books prior to the Columbine massacre, both stealing guns and "straw purchasing" were already illegal activities. How would more laws have made any difference. People bent on committing these types of crimes aren't disuaded by laws.

I think she should go to Texas or Montana and publish a similer article, see how well they react to her treason.
Every little thing that could posibly have a negitive outcome (in this case, gun ownership), is targeted by the libs for regulation and licensing.

Every time I read one of these articles they have to say something to the effect of ... " this is not a party issue, this is something both sides can agree on."

No we can't, you're a effing dummy. Don't tell me your nonsense makes sense to me. STFU!

That's like someone saying "we all know that the earth is flat, some say that it's round. We can all agree there is some curvature of the earth, heck, look at the mountains and the sea. The earth is flat, it's common sense."

Out of all the gun control idioms, catch phrases, mottos, mantras, speaking points, misinformation, statistics, verbiage, arguments, blather, bile, bullshit, etc, this one has always bugged me the most...

"common sense"

Once those words exit their mouths or keyboards... there's no point in listening or debating.

Edit to add... oh wait, I take that back. Calling for "common sense" gun control legislation is infuriating enough.

But when they also add "it's a no brainer", it makes me want rip their vital organs out.

Last edited:
Out of all the gun control idioms, catch phrases, mottos, mantras, speaking points, misinformation, statistics, verbiage, arguments, blather, bile, bullshit, etc, this one has always bugged me the most...

Once those words exit their mouths or keyboards... there's no point in listening or debating.

Edit to add... oh wait, I take that back. Calling for "common sense" gun control legislation is infuriating enough.

But when they also add "it's a no brainer", it makes me want rip their vital organs out.

Some new slogans:

"The 2nd Amendment, it's just common sense."

"The 2nd Amendment, duh... yes it's that simple"

"The 2nd Amendment... It's a no brainer"

what is new hampshire's crime rate? isn't it one of the lowest in the country?

Last edited:
Sounds like she just retooled a half baked term paper and posted it up. If I were her I would not have had the limited bio line - as that just shows she's a college freshman... <yawn>

Probably got an A from some nitwit Stanford Professor for this mindlessly weak anemic piece of academic work.

Alexandra McKinney is a public policy major at Stanford University. She has lived in New Hampshire for 12 years and graduated in 2008 from Londonderry High School.
Nuff said

what is new hampshire's crime rate? isn't it one of the lowest in the country?

Yes, consistently in the lowest 5 since at least 2000.
http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=12247287-3b31-4fa8-9835-3efdbea9053e
http://www.morganquitno.com/dang07.htm
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-157590634.html
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/1/07bestplaces_Crime-Rate-Best_slide.html?thisSpeed=10000

The author makes the (pardon the pun) freshman mistake of treating point evidence as statistical evidence. That is, working from the example and treating it as the trend.

Laws constructed in that fashion are reactive, fail to address actual root causes, and always have as an unstated assumption that the goal is the total elimination of the perceived harm at any cost. That is, since it calls for action on an event rather than a trend, it reacts on an event, which means it reacts to statistically low events as if they were common. Indeed, since the statistically low events tend to garner more attention, this freshman conflation of point event with trend elevates the rare and treats it as a far greater risk than it actually is.

Back
Top Bottom