9mm defensive ammo for Ruger SR9

I could use some help with making a good choice. My SR9 Manual says no +P (I think) but everywhere I read they say it can be used. hhmmmm

These are the ones talked about the most (for good reasons) but where can I find them on the north shore (Medford area)

Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint
Federal 115 grain JHP

Use whatever you like. All modern hollowpoints will probably feed and work just fine. I like Gold Dot because they're made out of actual gold. (NOTE: No they're not).

Chose the regular pressure or +P as you wish. So long as you're not running hundreds of rounds, your Ruger probably isn't going to explode even with +P+. Probably[smile].

Just out of sheer curiosity, if you use a +P round and the manual says not to, will that void your warranty should you have a very negative experience?

Just out of sheer curiosity, if you use a +P round and the manual says not to, will that void your warranty should you have a very negative experience?

Yes, If there was someone from Ruger watching you shoot it or if you where dumb enough to tell them.

If the manufacturer tells you NOT TO USE IT, it's because they have tested it, and it FAILS to hold up to the pressure!!!!

Trust me, they would have loved to tell you that you can use +P ammo.

I would wager a months wages that they tested it, and the gun can't handle it.

Don't do it.

If the manufacturer tells you NOT TO USE IT, it's because they have tested it, and it FAILS to hold up to the pressure!!!!

Don't do it.

Smart man! You can tell on a number of pistols if high pressure loads are used. Is using a +P really worth it? I reload 135gr Protected point HP's (Hydroshock) at moderate velocities. I would not want to be on the receiving end.

Don't do it.

Sorry, but this is crap. Modern 9mm pistols can take quite a bit of abuse. If an SR9 really can't deal with lowly +P out of a cartridge that is just about 100 years old, then I don't want to be anywhere near one. I doubt this is actually the case. Case in point- 9mm Glocks can deal with some pretty sick 9mm ammo, and they don't even have the best casehead support or the best barrels out there, either. (Yet there are plenty of reports of guys who have run Hirtenbirger through their G17s and the like with no problems at all. )

One possibility is that +P and +P+ throw off the slide timing, and it might actually cause or induce jams.... but I doubt the gun will blow up. (I've seen some guns that just didn't tolerate +P ammo from a function/cycling perspective, at least not with the stock springs installed in the gun. ) That may be why they're saying "no"- either that, or they just want to reduce warranty claims due to parts wear and the like. (All other things being equal, a gun with a lot of hot ammo run through it will wear parts much faster than one that just uses std pressure ammo. )

ETA: Jeff Quinn @ Gunblast ran Buffalo Bore +P+ thorough his test SR9.... so chances are, this is not a big deal...

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR9.htm

-Mike

Last edited:
Blah blah blah they all say that in the manual, with the exception of HK and possibly Glock.

In 9mm if a modern handgun can't handle RA9TA/9PBLE/etc. it's not worth owning. Most of the +P+ ammo out there is just barely so. Although near impossible to find now, the old testing standard was Hirtenberger L7A1. If your gun doesn't blow up with that in it, it'll basically run anything.

-Mike

I've fired at least +p hollow points and ball ammo through my SR9c and never had any problems -duh. Frankly, I've never heard any such thing about the SR series, they're pretty robust semi-autos, kinda like the security six or gp100 series Ruger revolvers.

Blah blah blah they all say that in the manual, with the exception of HK and possibly Glock.

In 9mm if a modern handgun can't handle RA9TA/9PBLE/etc. it's not worth owning. Most of the +P+ ammo out there is just barely so. Although near impossible to find now, the old testing standard was Hirtenberger L7A1. If your gun doesn't blow up with that in it, it'll basically run anything.

-Mike

I think my PM9 manual says +P is ok. The manual for my P2000sk says that +P "will reduce the service life and is not recommended".

I agree with you though, a 9mm that can't handle +P is worthless.

Wait, so where's the problem? If Coyote's quote is accurate, Ruger says +P and +P+ are fine.

I personally like Federal HST. I carry the 124gr std pressure load. It's available in both 124 and 147, standard and +P.

I think my PM9 manual says +P is ok. The manual for my P2000sk says that +P "will reduce the service life and is not recommended".

I agree with you though, a 9mm that can't handle +P is worthless.

Wait, so where's the problem? If Coyote's quote is accurate, Ruger says +P and +P+ are fine.

I personally like Federal HST. I carry the 124gr std pressure load. It's available in both 124 and 147, standard and +P.

The PM9 above is a Kahr, not a Ruger, right?

The quote I posted above was from Ruger's web site. The quote itself is a link. Click it and see for yourself.

I've fired at least +p hollow points and ball ammo through my SR9c and never had any problems -duh. Frankly, I've never heard any such thing about the SR series, they're pretty robust semi-autos, kinda like the security six or gp100 series Ruger revolvers.

What do you shoot for hollow points? Ive tried hornady steel match and remington golden sabre hollowpoints and both jam on the first round in my sr9c, it wont feed without a lot of encouragement, but once the first loads the rest seem to load fine.

[rofl]

Reading comprehension fail on my part. That's what I get for skimming a post. So ruger does indeed say it is "OK". Honestly though unless it's something "strange" I don't even bother reading that part of the manual. I know in some guns +P is probably bad because I bet it messes with the timing of the action... but anything "duty" grade in 9mm shouldn't suffer from any issues at all.

-Mike

What do you shoot for hollow points? Ive tried hornady steel match and remington golden sabre hollowpoints and both jam on the first round in my sr9c, it wont feed without a lot of encouragement, but once the first loads the rest seem to load fine.
Huh, weird. I haven't fired a lot of hollow points since they're expensive, but my sr9c hasn't had any problems with the golden sabres and 147 gr. Federal hydra shocks.

I don't own an SR9 but if it couldn't handle +P or +P+ I'd be surprised seeing as the earier P series autos could handle any commercial ammo. Ruger has had a history of over building their pistols and revolvers.

I don't own an SR9 but if it couldn't handle +P or +P+ I'd be surprised seeing as the earier P series autos could handle any commercial ammo. Ruger has had a history of over building their pistols and revolvers.

I haven't had any issues with my SR9c (FMJ, HP, LRN, you name it). According to the SR series manual:

The SR-SERIES pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm Parabellum or .40 S&W ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols.

I just picked up a SR9c (thanks to an awesome NES member above me)

I ordered up the remainder items I needed for a comp-tac mtac holster and now need to get it some nice carry ammo.

Looks like the recommendation is for : Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot
Any thing else I should be forewarned about and thanks in Advance.

Read this here -

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Another thing, do not think that +P or +P+ load ratings automatically mean a particular round is a good choice for a carry/duty type round. Testing has shown that hollow points have a functional range (measured in FPS). Too fast or slow and they do not open. Several +P and +P+ 9mm rounds do not end up expanding like they are supposed to due to travel at too high a speed.

Back
Top Bottom