9MM and a Deer

9mm is more than enough.
I had a rabid skunk in the yard a few years ago and one shitty neighbor (Gone thankfully ) who I knew would call the law if I shot.
The young fellow that showed up really didn't want to shoot the thing because the paperwork was a pain in the ass.
I told him ok I'll shoot it and you supervise.
Made his day.

You can hunt deer here with 22LR so ya 9mm will get it done. 22LR is smaller than I would choose to use but I know w few people here who have taken them with 22LR and .17HMR

I knew a guy who shot a doe with a .14. They were somewhere in the mid 3,000 FPS. He sad he had them at 4,000 FPS, but they would disintegrate mid air so he had to slow them down. He was into all the wildcat cartridges.
He said he shot it in the head and it dropped right there.

Old timers I have known in Maine and Vt claim .22lr is one of the most popular “deer calibers” for the locals. Cheap and relatively quiet. They claim 7-8 quick shots to the vitals is very effective.

Why not just do the job yourself? I've finished off one deer and one raccoon that it hit. Both were writhing in pain and I dispatched each with one shot of .38 spl +p.
I couldn't imagine waiting for the cops while a critter is in agony.

Why not just do the job yourself? I've finished off one deer and one raccoon that it hit. Both were writhing in pain and I dispatched each with one shot of .38 spl +p.
I couldn't imagine waiting for the cops while a critter is in agony.

Because this is Massachusetts, and many towns have ordinances against discharge of a firearm. o_O

You can hunt deer here with 22LR so ya 9mm will get it done. 22LR is smaller than I would choose to use but I know w few people here who have taken them with 22LR and .17HMR
Not sure where you can legally hunt deer with.22lr?

Not sure where you can legally hunt deer with.22lr?

And now you are. You just can't use it on WMA property. The link goes directly to the SCDNR FAQ page.

SCDNR - Wildlife Information
Can I hunt deer with a .22-caliber rimfire rifle?

State laws and regulations prohibit the hunting of deer with .22 rimfire rifles or smaller on all WMAs. There are no caliber restrictions on private land. However, a .22 rimfire rifle is inadequate to harvest deer and can result in wounding or unrecovered deer. RESPECT for the animal hunted should always be a common sense guide for ethical hunters. Use only a weapon that allows the animal to be cleanly harvested. Generally speaking, a .243 or 6mm is the smallest caliber normally recommended for deer. For more information, call SCDNR Law Enforcement at (803) 734-4002.

And now you are. You just can't use it on WMA property. The link goes directly to the SCDNR FAQ page.
Ahhh... South Carolina, now it makes sense, haha. Just kidding, learn something new every day. Thanks for pointing that out. Never heard of that in any state I have hunted.
Merry Christmas!

SC is still fairly light on hunting regs. At least by comparison to a lot of other states. Though we did just start tagging deer this season. Until this year you just had to report deer taken on a WMA when you drove out. No reporting required on private lands. Now we have to tag any deer taken but we get a shitload of tags w/ the license and can buy more for very short money. We also get a bunch of doe tags that can only be used on the date printed on them. But if you use a bow you can use those tags on any day you want until you hit the yearly limit.

Merry Christmas to you too.

SC is still fairly light on hunting regs. At least by comparison to a lot of other states. Though we did just start tagging deer this season. Until this year you just had to report deer taken on a WMA when you drove out. No reporting required on private lands. Now we have to tag any deer taken but we get a shitload of tags w/ the license and can buy more for very short money. We also get a bunch of doe tags that can only be used on the date printed on them. But if you use a bow you can use those tags on any day you want until you hit the yearly limit.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Tell me about it on the light regs on deer in the south! These f***ing hillbillies lit up a deer with birdshot while hunting rabbits. Most unethical f***ing hunting video I think I've ever seen. The dude with the camera says the word buckshot at first (probably because he knows he's filming)....then later on someone else says the word birdshot. I fully believe these rednecks lit that deer up with birdshot because they were hunting rabbits with beagles.......nobody uses buckshot on rabbits. Note they don't show the recovery of the deer and just end the video with a post edit that says "we found her". f***ing retards.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0YelTfKXtGk

Last edited:
Tell me about it on the light regs on deer in the south! These f***ing hillbillies lit up a deer with birdshot while hunting rabbits. Most unethical f***ing hunting video I think I've ever seen. The dude with the camera says the word buckshot at first (probably because he knows he's filming)....then later on someone else says the word birdshot. I fully believe these rednecks lit that deer up with birdshot because they were hunting rabbits with beagles.......nobody uses buckshot on rabbits. Note they don't show the recovery of the deer and just end the video with a post edit that says "we found her". f***ing retards.

The thing is with ethics, you shouldn't need regulations to force you to do the right thing.

The thing is with ethics, you shouldn't need regulations to force you to do the right thing.
Truth. But with ass clowns like this video.......makes hunters look bad and then the regulations come down. Most states have hunting implement and caliber regs......because of idiots like this.

On a different note regarding ethics......note that the guy and that boy ass shot a deer totally running straight away from them. They should have let that deer pass......and then teach that young boy why he let it pass. Retards.

Last edited:

Still not legal. Even here. Buckshot or slugs only for deer in SC. I'm not typically the see something say something type. However if I saw that I would call the GWs myself, though no small part of me would want to just leave them in the field. Permanently.

We have skinned out deer and found birdshot pellets .
I would have liked to have caught the needled dicked POs doing it red handed.

Yeah...and I've skinned out a lot of deer and found a hell of a lot of buckshot pellets too just under the skin. A couple were my own that I shot at less than 25 yards, that I shot with a slug first and knocked down and put a quick second of buckshot in. Many of the the pellets barely penetrate. I know it only takes one in the lungs or brain., but I don't use anything but slugs now.

At 50 yards....I'm not sure buckshot is much better than birdshot......

Easier and safer to just slit throat in that setting imo if you have an appropriate knife. And just because a deer doesn't drop immediately after being hit in the head means nothing against the police officers accuracy. I've seen human and deer shot in the head with brains etc not die right away. And maybe that department only issues frangible rounds for their rifles. Lastly, what is the importance of an accident report for a vehicle vs deer while uninsured? Do you go after the deer's insurance policy?

Easier and safer to just slit throat in that setting imo if you have an appropriate knife. And just because a deer doesn't drop immediately after being hit in the head means nothing against the police officers accuracy. I've seen human and deer shot in the head with brains etc not die right away. And maybe that department only issues frangible rounds for their rifles. Lastly, what is the importance of an accident report for a vehicle vs deer while uninsured? Do you go after the deer's insurance policy?
Accident reports are required by MGL if damage exceeds $$ (no idea what current number is), which is a certainty when you strike a deer.

That's actually a great question.

I have a cousin that got off of a DWI......on a motorcycle because of a similar situation. Not saying him getting off was a good or bad thing (he was drunk and is an a**h***) just stating the facts for purpose of the conversation here. Here's what happened:

He dumped his motorcycle on an exit ramp. No damage to any property other than a scrape on his bike. He picked up the bike and kept riding. Old woman saw it and followed him to a Dunkin donuts where he parked the bike and walked in to get a coffee. Old lady called cops (guess she was a bored old busy body with nothing else to do). Told cops she saw a guy dumped his bike and get on it and ride away. Cops respond and go into Dunkin and start asking questions.....cop asked for a roadside sobriety test and took him outside. He failed one portion.......made him blow.......he was just barely over legal limit.....cuff him. Anyhoo.....he gets a good lawyer.......at the trial proved the cops had no reason to respond because there is nothing illegal about dumping a bike and picking it up and driving away as long as the only damage is to the riders property. As the cops had no duty to respond to the call they therefore had no reason to do the sobriety test......acquitted. This was in NH for the sake of conversation.

In the case of a deer strike however....,.maybe it needs to be reported because deer are a game animal and public domain. Not sure......but I'll research it.

Back
Top Bottom