9mm 1911s

My new abomination by Santurri [grin]
9mm1911.jpg

I actually just picked up two this morning. I've got to find my camera to get a pic of the other one. So far, it has been a good day.

It is a Caspian frame. The slide is actually an STI (cheaper). I originally bought it as complete Caspian in .45 but hadn't been shooting it so I redid it in 9mm with the new slide assembly, which I also already had.

This is the other new one. It is just like my other STI Open gun but with a slide racker (aka kickstand) and lightening different cuts. The new gun's slide is a .5 oz heavier but one more cut should fix that.

newopen1.jpg

Hammer, Grasshopper is learning!

I had both frames fitted with fire controls already. It took a week for him to build the new upper for the open gun, mount the dot, and test fire it. In that time he also fit the single stack's slide to frame, which involved milling the frame for the ramp, and then test fire it.

Very nice Steve but don't let the new one fall on the scope again... LOL I see you have that all fixed up....

I know I'm an ass... haha

This is the other new one. It is just like my other STI Open gun but with a slide racker (aka kickstand) and lightening different cuts. The new gun's slide is a .5 oz heavier but one more cut should fix that.
Hammer, Grasshopper is learning!

Very nice. Looks like you're all set for the Nats. Or was that last weekend?

I'll be very curious to find out how that 9mm 1911 shoots. I believe my next gun will be in 9mm to use at plate matches.
-Cuz.

I'll be very curious to find out how that 9mm 1911 shoots. I believe my next gun will be in 9mm to use at plate matches.
-Cuz.

I'm leaving Tues. You can download you SVI .40 for plates. 3.5gr of TG with a 180gr and a 8# recoil spring is like a .22.

I'm leaving Tues. You can download you SVI .40 for plates. 3.5gr of TG with a 180gr and a 8# recoil spring is like a .22.

The problem is that my SVI .40 won't shoot plated bullets. One of the indoor places I shoot during the winter months doesn't allow jacketed ammo. I don't want to run lead thru it either so that gun is out.

I'm really liking the cost of 9mm plated bullets compared to .40 jacketed or my .45 plated bullets which cost double to ship.

Good luck at the Nats.
-Cuz.

They are pretty messy compared to plated and jacketed and Cuz is talking about indoor shooting where lead is unhealthy if ventilation isn't great.

Ahhh, I see. Where I shoot indoors you can't shoot jacketed rounds and I use lead in my 1911. The ventilation there is great, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as far as lead rounds not being good for the gun.

Ahhh, I see. Where I shoot indoors you can't shoot jacketed rounds and I use lead in my 1911. The ventilation there is great, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as far as lead rounds not being good for the gun.

If anything lead is better for the barrel. The rifling on a .45 barrel shooting lead will last forever.

My lead level was creeping up too. It was at 24 after 3 months of shooting. It went down to 9 after I eased up and stopped shooting indoors.

Last edited:

Nope, you aren't missing anything. I just think lead is dirty, and the last time I had my lead checked it was starting to creep up. I don't want to take any chances so I don't want to handle any more lead. I also have 2 small kids I who always want to "help out" and I don't want any lead in the loading room because of them either.
-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom