99 arisaka questikns

mac1911

NES Member
I was asked to make a offer on a 99 arisaka. I do want one to add to my collection. I am a shooting collector more than correct and complete pieces. I want tomake a offer with out insulting him.
The mum is intact but that's where it ends for any value in my mind.
Missing cleaning rod, mono pod, bolt cover and stock has a few arsenal repairs. I don't mind the repairs much as they are done very well and add a bit. Mechanically it is sound bore and crown look worthy of shooting. Personally I'm topped of at 125.00 although my gut says to high. My secound thought is a parts gun for future arisaka that might come along.
thoughts anyone

At 125 if it is a standard Arisaka you could part it out and make money. Hard to find any Arisaka without looking at under 200 because of people parting them out. intact mum, no damage and with no issues I would gladly offer 150 for it. The days of $75 Arisakas are over.

Any idea when it was manufactured? What type of rear sight does it have? The bolt covers and monopods disappeared during later production and they were often removed and discarded in the field from the earlier ones. If it was a "last ditch" they werent manufactured with cleaning rods either. Not sure about the transitional models. Most Arisaka stocks were crafted from several pieces of wood due to the lack of good wood in Japan. I would say 125 is on the low end if the stock isnt sported and it has an intact mum. Do you have any pictures?

Ii have a transitional last ditch with full mum that I was offered $275 for..

I declined

I haven't seen a non sporterized arisaka with a mom for less than $175 in a while

Like it has been said, not all Type 99's had the cover, monopod or aircraft sights. It depends when it was made. And not having them would be the norm. Having the Mum intact would be the big plus. If the stock is not sanded and is intact and the rest of the gun has not been sported I think $250 would be a retail average in very good condition finish wise and matching parts. But it is really hard to tell with out pics.

I would easily pay $125 for an intact Mum Type 99 not sported. I would do it without thinking. I would suggest buying it and posting pics. If there are things seriously wrong with it, you can sell the stock and the bolt and get your money back. The rest would be profit.

Its by no means pretty. If I had to label it it would be 60% at best by blue book. Stock is a pitted nicked mess. Un molested though. It is not a matching. #s I don't know the period of production. The bore looks nice and the crown is not showing much wear. To me I am buying it for the mum and bore. I talked with him to day and I asked him what he wanted.
He didn't really have a answer, I never have my camera when I come across any deals. I may just go wave some cash in his face see what happens.

Last edited:
It is as easy as running 30-06 brass through the 7.7 resizing die and trimming. Even easier is using 8mm Mauser brass.

Don't come across 8 mm often. Plenty of 06. I'm going over Tuesday. We will try to convince each what it is worth

Well if you only have $125, and the worst the guy can say is no, then offer $125.

If you don't want to keep it then turn around and sell on GB.. Probably sell for $200 plus

Back
Top Bottom