91-38 Mosin

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
I was in a bidding war with folks but I wasn't letting this go. I have one other 91-38 however not a Hex receiver from my favorite arsenal Tula .

Some pics

Last edited:
Very good buy on that, Fred. They don't surface very often, like a half dozen per year or so. And when they do, it's usually a big bidding war, sometimes cracking the $400 mark.

You had yourself a good war. Twenty-nine bids trying to get that away!

Still waiting for my rifle. Texas is a long way I guess. I have a tracking number and I am watching it as it gets closer. I will be sure to post some additional pictures of the markings and of course a range report. I just purchased 500 rounds of S+B brass cased re-loadable ammo!!!!!

I shoot surplus all the time but when I buy something new I try and run some quality ammo thru it to get the best results. Ammo that has been stored for 50+ years can have all sorts of accuracy issues. Especially if it was originally made for both rifles and machine guns. But even as I say that I have shot brand new out of the box 7.62x54R brass cased ammo and then shot Czech silver tip or Russian silver tip and it produced better groups. Also some of my Finns will only shoot well with heavy ball. The 147 grain light ball just doesn't do it.

I will keep you posted.

Maybe you could tell me the difference between an 91-38, 91-30 and a M44? I just bought one last weekend, it was advertised as an M44 but the bill of sale said 91-30? Date on it is 1945. Maybe its the same thing? Havent shot it yet but it sure does look like fun!

A 1945 would likely be an M44, as fewer M91/30's were being made, and only at Izhevsk in that year.

An M44 will also have a signature item - the folding bayonet.

All I know is the 91/30 is long, and the M44 short and LOUD.[rofl]

Now the experts can chime in.

MS

Last edited:
Maybe you could tell me the difference between an 91-38, 91-30 and a M44? I just bought one last weekend, it was advertised as an M44 but the bill of sale said 91-30? Date on it is 1945. Maybe its the same thing? Haven't shot it yet but it sure does look like fun!

Go to www.7.62x54R.net. Look under Mosin variants and you will see a question, how long is the over all length of your rifle. Click the one that matches your rifle and your half way home. There are 91. 91/30,91/59,M38, M54, and M44 and that's just the Russian variants. Great web site for Mosin info.

Hope you paid 91-30 price for it is it in in fact a 91-30.

M44 and m38s are short carbines and the m44 has an attached folding bayonet while the m38 does not. They sell for $200+

The 91-30 is a full length rifle and can be had for around $99-120

My m44 on left, both right and center are 91-30s

4c7f8cf1-b7f1-f109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Unless I find a steal on a semi rare model I think the only other Russian Mosin I'll need to round out my collection is an SA stamped 38. Someone on here got one not too long ago.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom