91/30 Mosin Nagant. What did I do? or did I?

40 caliber

NES Member
I just bought a 91/30 Mosin Nagant. After cleaning the cosmoline, I noticed these bumps all over the receiver. I used Mineral Oil suggested from another post. . (was it supposed to be mineral spirits? ) . I used mineral oil on an SKS cleaning and had no problem so I dont think that is it The only other things I can think of is that there may have been some ammonia on the rag from a corrosive ammo cleaning -or- these bumps were there all ready and became visible after the cosmoline came off. This gun was purchased as a shooter, so I don't care that much. I do have a 91/30 hand picked Hex Beauty that I bought as well. I don't want this to happen to that if I did in fact cause the issue.

Pics attached. they are not the best, but they were the best I could get out of my camera in about 20 shots.
thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2971..JPG
    IMG_2971..JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2972..JPG
    IMG_2972..JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2973..JPG
    IMG_2973..JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 50
yes, I thought so too. it appears to be normal pitting now that I take a close look. This was not visible at all until the cosmoline came off. That is why it concerned me.

figured rather be safe than sorry . had to check

Last edited:
The surface itself looks uneven. Likely these were pitted areas before the refurb process and the bluing didn't take as well.

I'll even bet that the X54 bullet won't even know as it is flying downrange!

Looks like a run of the mill 91/30 shooter if you ask me. Buff it downwith oil and 00 steel wool like I mentioned in PM, shoot it, and enjoy it.

For perfect bluing and a great finish in Mosin rifles... get yourself a mint Polish M44. You won't even want to handle it they're so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom