• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

870 Mods for Skeet/Trap Shooting

OfficerObie59

NES Member
Okay, at the risk of making an arse of myself, most of my firearms experience is limited to the tactical side of things with mulsurp and pistol shooting, and I'm quite ignorant about the hunting/competition shooting. But, after being a member for just about a year at my local R&G, I really have an interest in shooting skeet and trap after stopping by to watch on occasion.

I bought a new Remington 870 Express Tactical last year with the 18" cyclinder barrel and extended tube w/ bead sight. I had home defense and job-related target practice in mind at the time, and had no concern then for any additional sporting uses.

After reading other threads, I seem to get the impression that while my current set up certainly isn't preferable, it's borderline acceptable. I'm looking to see what mods the wise men of NES recommend for shooting (barrel, choke, etc.) trap and/or skeet, and whether my tactical set up would be violating some sort of unwritten rule of the skeet/trap range I may be unaware of, and whether it will indeed suffice until I can come up with the clams to throw down on a new barrel, etc. I looked around some other threads and found some passing mention of this issue, but nothing paticularly in-depth.

Thanks for any help you may give.
Obes

I've been a "shoot what you got" kinda shooter cause I live on a budget, I have a mossberg 835 turkey gun with an 18" barrel. I usually hit in the high teens to low 20's for trap. no one at my club looks down on me for my choice of shotgun cause it's what I got...yeah I do a lot better with a 20+" barrel shotgun but oh well. eventually I'm going to spring for a longer barrel but for now I have fun with what I got. if you wanna get super serious about trap and other clay sports, then yes you should look into a different gun. if I get real serious with trap I'll get a nice o/u or something.

Cylinder barrel is a scatter gun. You wont hit a damn thing unless you get in within the first 1/4 sec out of the trap. Your pattern will just be way too wide.

18" barrel is ok though. 30" is better
problem with 870 is that its a pump. OK for trap, useless for skeet as the pump action is just too slow for doubles. By the time to cycle the bird is practically in the ground.

Save your pennies on modifying it and buy a remington 1100 for about $270-$350 on the used market. Has changeable chokes and the chokes are $12 a piece. Start out with modified or improved cylinder and you will be breaking birds in no time. Also make sure to get a shell catcher, a plastic plate that covers the election port to stop the shell from ejecting ($10) when shooting trap. This is used so you stop throwing shells at the person next to you and is required at some clubs.

you could do a few things on the cheap that may be of some benifit for shooting clays.
You could purchase the montecarlo comb style sythetic stock---I have seen these as little as 69.00 on sale. Also you can find used scratched and dinged stocks on line also.
Purchase a 28" vent field barrel with changable chokes- I have seen used 870 barrels for 50-100 bucks sometimes almost free because of some surface rust.

Other options is to look in the boxes of used stuff @ gun shops. Thats my go to place for any "project" stocks.

Barrele length is not so critical: It comes down to preference. Short barrel tend to swing quicker longer barrels smooth out your swing. Its a comfort thing.

We have 2 shooters @ our club shooting "tactical" style shotguns and do well. Mainly because they have taken the time to pattern thier guns and understand where the gun is shooting.

I shot trap for 3 years with a 870 express 28" mod choke I worked right up through the league shoot levels and won many league shoots. In that time I tried many guns, took in all the info and saved my $$$ until I felt comfortable with my decision to go with a Browning XT O/U. Gun fit is key if you shoot on a regular basis BUT for fun plinking and busting clays. JUST SHOOT WHAT YOU HAVE.

I may also have a montecarlo comb stock for a 870, I just cant remember if it has been shortened or not.

I have to agree with the others on this. Look into an 1100 or 11-87 for starters then see what you like and go from there.

Trap with a pump is not a problem. Get yourself a longer barrel and some chokes and you will be ready to go.

Skeet can be done with a pump but you will be severly handicaped in the game, as someone who is new to it will add one more things to think about and lessen your score and enjoyment.

Also be aware that some clube shy away from short barreled shot guns for clays games so check your club for their advice as well.

The most important rule (besides saftey) is get out there and have some fun.

There is no minimum length under the "rules"...but some more conservative, or perhaps I should say,more serious, Trap shooters will be unhappy with having you on the next station. We have a member that started with a 20" Rossi Coach Gun ( with tight chokes) and did well. Some were unhappy due to the muzzle blast, but I pointed out that it was no worse than being next to a longer gun with a ported barrel.

Best thing to do: Show up with the shorty shotty, and the Trapzoids will be out in force, letting you try their toys!

The above suggestions are all on target...I'd just add: shoot what you're confortable with! Have fun!

These comments about a pump gun being to slow are ludicrous, it may not be the ideal choice but if you have used one for any length of time you can be damn near as fast as an auto (870 vs 1100) and still break your share of clays. I have had two 870's for years and when i shot regularly was always over 20 at the skeet range. Skill trumps equipment.

Manoment makes an excellent point. It's perhaps ideal to have the "perfect" gun for each sport, but it's not required. My son "KidHappy" (he's 12) has his Distinguished Expert in both Skeet and Trap, and accomplished this with his late grandfather's Winchester 1400, which was originally purchased for duck hunting. Most of the Skeet was shot with an Improved Cylnder choke tube in it, until I got an extra tube, and had it opened up for a "skeet" choke.

About the only gun that won't work is a single barrel....that takes too long for the second shot in Skeet! [wink]

Just go shoot. Shoot what you have, or what people let you try. Different shooters gravitate to one sport or another (FWIW, there's not a huge amount of crossover between Skeeters and Trapezoids...it's a mindset thing, IMO). After you've tried the games, you'll know what you want (which may or may not be what you actually need! [laugh]) THEN....help the economy with a new gun. At that point, you'll be able to make some sense out of all the varrying opinions you'll get about what is the "Right" gun. And then, after a bit you can help argue about the correct choke; the correct shot size; the correct lens color for your glasses....the list goes on![rofl]

Oh, yeah....don't stress about it...there's no money riding on it, so no biggie![wink]

Having shot skeet for a few months now on my 870 Express, I can definitely say that while a pump isn't the perfect gun, it's more than sufficient if you aren't in competition. Yes, doubles require more skill with a pump because you have to cycle in between shots, but I regularly hit doubles with my pump- it's all about how you adapt and get comfortable with your gun.

Having said that, I'd definitely look into getting a longer barrel after you get comfortable with skeet/trap.

Okay, at the risk of making an arse of myself, most of my firearms experience is limited to the tactical side of things with mulsurp and pistol shooting, and I'm quite ignorant about the hunting/competition shooting. But, after being a member for just about a year at my local R&G, I really have an interest in shooting skeet and trap after stopping by to watch on occasion.

I bought a new Remington 870 Express Tactical last year with the 18" cyclinder barrel and extended tube w/ bead sight. I had home defense and job-related target practice in mind at the time, and had no concern then for any additional sporting uses.

After reading other threads, I seem to get the impression that while my current set up certainly isn't preferable, it's borderline acceptable. I'm looking to see what mods the wise men of NES recommend for shooting (barrel, choke, etc.) trap and/or skeet, and whether my tactical set up would be violating some sort of unwritten rule of the skeet/trap range I may be unaware of, and whether it will indeed suffice until I can come up with the clams to throw down on a new barrel, etc. I looked around some other threads and found some passing mention of this issue, but nothing paticularly in-depth.

Thanks for any help you may give.
Obes

I have the exact same gun, exact same question, and was about to start the exact same thread.

I've been trying to find a 28" barrel somewhere. All the new ones I see online are $200 bucks. damn!

Last edited:
Awaking this one from the dead. My fiance has an 870 tactical 18" etc. My cz mallard o/u is to long for her. I put on a hogue stock to shorten the length of pull and it's perfect. Now, I'm looking into changing out the barrels so she can shoot some trap. We had an intro course at my range this past weekend and we loved it.
Looking into this, it sounds like you cannot change out the barrels unless you do a hick-like way of adding in a piece of pvc over the mag tube. I'm not interested in doing this, I just want an easy barrel change option. Am I stuck with this 870 tactical as HD gun? Worst comes top worst we can buy a used gun with a 28" barrel and I'll have to change out the stock again, but I'd rather not. We'd only be out there a few times a year shooting trap.

Awaking this one from the dead. My fiance has an 870 tactical 18" etc. My cz mallard o/u is to long for her. I put on a hogue stock to shorten the length of pull and it's perfect. Now, I'm looking into changing out the barrels so she can shoot some trap. We had an intro course at my range this past weekend and we loved it.
Looking into this, it sounds like you cannot change out the barrels unless you do a hick-like way of adding in a piece of pvc over the mag tube. I'm not interested in doing this, I just want an easy barrel change option. Am I stuck with this 870 tactical as HD gun? Worst comes top worst we can buy a used gun with a 28" barrel and I'll have to change out the stock again, but I'd rather not. We'd only be out there a few times a year shooting trap.
Does your tactical have the extended tactical choke? You could just install a improved modified or full choke if you do. Then you just run the gun as is. If you find yourself with the trap/skeet/clays bug you will most likely buy a more purposeful model.
Another thing I would do is remove the rear sight, no need for it in trap or clay shooting.
Don't let the barrel length be a issue. Simply keep your eyes on the bird and follow through.
All though cylinder choke/barrel is a challenge it's not impossible.
If your fundamentals are good and you get the bird on the rise even cylinder will break clays....

Last edited:
Cannot attach a choke to this barrel. That will be really tough for my fiance, and probably for me. But this is hers and I want to give her every advantage. She was using someone else's shotgun, mossberg 500 with a 32"barrel and after she knew where the shot was going she broke a few. I was hoping to just throw on a new barrel, but I don't think it's possible with this tactical. Also, there is just a front bead sight on it, no rear sight.
I would just let her use the CZ but the stock is too long.

Cannot attach a choke to this barrel. That will be really tough for my fiance, and probably for me. But this is hers and I want to give her every advantage. She was using someone else's shotgun, mossberg 500 with a 32"barrel and after she knew where the shot was going she broke a few. I was hoping to just throw on a new barrel, but I don't think it's possible with this tactical. Also, there is just a front bead sight on it, no rear sight.

You don't need a rear sight with a shotgun: You sight in the bead down the length of the barrel with one eye closed, open both eyes, then shoot where it aims.

So you just have the cylinder barrel with out the tactical choke tube.
Really just go and shoot with the cylinder choke. You will be serprised. If your not putting the shot where it supposed to be even a full choke won't matter.
With the short barrel you will more than likely almost be to "quick" and shoot over the clays.

Don't know how much the tactical barrel threaded for chokes is but that's another option.
Depending on your wife's size a 20g youth 870 might fit well?

You don't need a rear sight with a shotgun: You sight in the bead down the length of the barrel with one eye closed, open both eyes, then shoot where it aims.
Right, i'm glad there is no rear sight. I do have to open both eyes, as in used to closing one eye.
So you just have the cylinder barrel with out the tactical choke tube.
Really just go and shoot with the cylinder choke. You will be serprised. If your not putting the shot where it supposed to be even a full choke won't matter.
With the short barrel you will more than likely almost be to "quick" and shoot over the clays.

Don't know how much the tactical barrel threaded for chokes is but that's another option.
Depending on your wife's size a 20g youth 870 might fit well?

I'll just have to try it out, or, I discussed this with her and asked if we should trade it in, since she'll get more use out of it, or just buy a used one. I think we'll trade it, there's enough hd guns around the house, lol.
Thanks guys

Go and shoot several rounds first. Sell it out right you will get a better return vs trading it in.
From my own experience there are no off the shelf shotguns that fit a women.

The pitch is always off and the toes needs to be out more. I had to buy a semi custom stocks for my wife's browning gold. My wife is short ,small hands
It was night and day once the gun fit her build better.

That said, go hang out and shoot several rounds with the tactical have fun with it. Practice some fundementals. Learn your stance, gun hold and eye focus points. Believe me if you get some simple basic fundamentals down you will bust clays with cylinder choke. It is said it only takes 3 pellets to brake a trap target.
There are always trap shooters willing to let you try guns also.

I shot my 870 express for 2 years before buying a "trap" gun. In those 2 years I shot everything I was able to. I even shot a few very expensive guns. Lujitic, Pirazzi, kriegoff etc.
So I recommend you go here and down load remingtons fundamentals of trap http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/downloads/brochure-downloads.aspx
Then go have a little fun.

The best tips I have received that worked for me.
Forget about the sights don't even look at them.
2 eyes open, look out into the field much like driving. Then when the target appears lock your eyes onto it and follow through. Your eyes will get the gun where it needs to be.
Much like throwing a ball....you don't aim anything. You line up focus on your "target" and throw the ball.
Relax, don't hold the shotgun up to long before calling for the bird.

Find your correct stance for each station and do not move your feet
Trap is a game of angles and repeating those angles as,much as possible.
Don't rush the shot. The target goes aprox. 45-60mph depending on who sets up the machine. Your shot goes approx 700mph your shot will get there.
Stand taller, don't crouch down into the gun. Read the remington fundamental article above and apply it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom