80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

Re: 80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH

They are, but I think some are having them cerakote after the milling. I am going for one in FDE just for a change this time.

Ah ok. I think theres a place in Nashua that does engraving. I'll have to look for their name again.

Sent from my rotary phone

I think business end customs does laser engraving. I'm not sure if that is the best option here. They are a dealer on NES . I like to give NES money before others. Can't wait to get this build going.

Well, Golddiggie and I finished adding 16 electrical outlets in his basement yesterday for the party.
He still has some cleaning/clearing to do. The mill is set up except for the Jig. I still have to bring
over my large ShopVac and a tote of tooling.

I have an inquiry in to Winter to see when we can meet him to pick up the lowers & jigs for the build party.

Malodave

having gone through the engraving thing, if its anodized do laser engraving, if you use mechanical means to engrave, the anodizing chips where you are cutting, leaving rough and indistinct engraving.

Hey Guys,

Don't worry about bringing chairs. I was at my Storage locker today to get my
6 x 48" stationary Belt Sander and behind it were 7 stackable chairs I bought
years ago. So they got loaded onto my truck and will be delivered to Golddiggie's
by this weekend along with the ShopVac and tooling. With the stools Golddiggie
and I have that will give us 9 spots to plant our backsides. Any more and they
will have to sit on the kegs down there.

Malodave

Last edited:
Getting pretty excited for this. No machining background. Could be interesting. Lol

If you can follow instructions, you should be fine.

Just waiting for Winter to let us know about getting the jigs and/or lowers before we actually set the schedule for the first day/weekend.

patiently waiting. haha.

[thumbsup][party2][banana][dance][party]
So ready for this build party!

Been sitting here chomping at the bit to get this party started. I'm planning on making up a batch of chili a few days before the first party day (or this weekend at the latest).

I also have a round charcoal BBQ that we can use to cook on/with. Plus there's a second gas grill that we could use if there's that many people here at one time.

Awesome man. If you want me to bring some burgers or any food or anything else just let me know.

Awesome man. If you want me to bring some burgers or any food or anything else just let me know.

Trying to decide if we could fit everyone in the house at one time. Once we know the status of the lowers, jigs, and have the first build party date, we can start firming up the plan.

I also have a 5/32" letter and number punch set if you want to mark the safe/fire points. I also have a couple of hole starter punches if you just want to do dots. You'll want to do the marks before the FCG area is milled/machined out though (so that the impact doesn't do anything bad). Not sure how it will effect the anodizing on the lowers though. Might be worth testing on one, where the pistol grip mounts (so it won't show later).

Read on arfcom that a guy that ordered a jig from ares back in dec. is still waiting for it. TM has been out of stock for months on them.

Last edited:
Winter has updated the other thread about deliveries and such. Sounds like the items could be in within another week or two. Once we have them in (also sounds like the lowers for build parties will be at the build parties for those attending to pick up and process), or know when we will have them, I'll update this thread. Dave and I will need to do some testing to determine how long each one will take to process. I'm thinking that we'll have a morning, afternoon, and possibly evening grouping. Or morning and afternoon for both Saturday and Sunday available. Those that cannot make it the first weekend will be able to make arrangements for either another weekend after, or an evening during the week (we'll have to schedule that up better).

Once the initial build party has been completed (or the first weekend), I'll be willing to open things up to others that want to come up to process their lowers. I just want to make sure we give everyone already signed up (or signed up before the lowers are in) first shot.

I also have a couple of hole starter punches if you just want to do dots. You'll want to do the marks before the FCG area is milled/machined out though (so that the impact doesn't do anything bad). Not sure how it will effect the anodizing on the lowers though. Might be worth testing on one, where the pistol grip mounts (so it won't show later).

Why not just use a like a #2 center drill to make your dots then just color them in, white for safe and red for fire? It would look appropriate and you need not worry about the anodizing. I would think it would make better looking spot than a punch and no impact concerns

Why not just use a like a #2 center drill to make your dots then just color them in, white for safe and red for fire? It would look appropriate and you need not worry about the anodizing. I would think it would make better looking spot than a punch and no impact concerns

I don't have numbered drill bits here. I do have a 29 bit set (from 1/16 to 1/2 inch) here. IF we have another drill press setup for making those dimples, fine.

This is one of the reasons why I would have been ok with getting raw finish lowers for this. Actually, my AR10 lower is raw aluminum (no finish on it) so I'll be able to do whatever I want for markings on it.

I don't have numbered drill bits here. I do have a 29 bit set (from 1/16 to 1/2 inch) here.

Center drill (aka spot drill) is different than regular numbered drills. A regular #2 numbered bit would be way to big, almost 1/4". Center drill has a better angle for making these divots.

Center drill (aka spot drill) is different than regular numbered drills. A regular #2 numbered bit would be way to big, almost 1/4". Center drill has a better angle for making these divots.

I do have a set of starter bits (for my lathe mostly) that might work. Well, the smallest one maybe. They're also used for making the holes for live (and maybe dead) centers. Since the bits are short, the chances of them flexing is rather remote. But, unless we get enough drill presses set up, that will have to be done after people have processed their lowers. Unless you want to do it by hand that is.

Any room left for another newb? I was hoeping the boston one got off the ground but I guess there are a lot of us with the want but not the space or tools....
I did chip in for one of the group jigs and I can bring plenty of snacks other then that the limit of my tools is a dremel...

Any room left for another newb? I was hoeping the boston one got off the ground but I guess there are a lot of us with the want but not the space or tools....
I did chip in for one of the group jigs and I can bring plenty of snacks other then that the limit of my tools is a dremel...

Send me the information I requested in an earlier post and I'll add you to the spreadsheet. I'll also have to notify Winter that you'll be attending my build party.

I ordered a 1/ 16 ballnose mill for the safety marking. I figured I would just chuck in my press for a dot at each point. If it is here before the date, your all welcome to use it.

If you have it before the first build party day, bring it. Hopefully, we'll have at least a couple/few more drill presses coming over for the party. I have a folding table that can be set up for a couple, plus a tool stand that can be cleared for us and a B&D Workmate that can be used for another press/tool.

I also transferred two batches of beer into serving kegs today. One of those kegs (I fill two from each batch, 3 gallon kegs) made it into the brew fridge and the rest are on CO2 in the basement to at least partially carbonate. Once another keg kicks in the fridge, I'll have a spot for another keg to go in.

Once Winter gets the jigs in, and lets me know he's ready to provide the lowers and jigs for our build party, this round will be closed. Once we've processed all the lowers for those that have signed up, I'll open up the facility for others.

Malodave and I will be creating documentation for what needs to be done to process the lower on each tool station.

Is it possible to get in on this build party or a second round? I was in for a couple of lowers and bought a jig too.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a post early in the thread for people to send me certain information (via PM) if you want to attend.

Once the lowers are in hand, Dave and I will be doing a couple/few test runs to see about how long it's going to take to process each lower. Once we know that, we'll be in a better position to schedule when people should arrive.

Looks like we could have another floor drill press coming to the build party. I think two more bench-top drill presses would work out well. That way we can have one set up for the FCG pin holes and another for the safety selector hole. Not having to change the chuck opening that much will save time on this.

BTW, I have a metal tub that we can fill up with ice if people want to bring soda and other drinks to the party.

Oh, and we had an incident with two of the chairs Dave got out of his storage unit. So we're only going to have five extra chairs right now. So, we could use a few more (possibly). Dave and I both have one each already, and I have two more that can be used by people either waiting or putting LPK's into their lowers.

Back
Top Bottom