• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm thinking my 625 4'' major,
Gary,
I CAN BRING YOUR OLD FRIEND IF YOU WANT, MR. 1955 TARGET

No extra retention device. But Thanks for the thought.

Anyway, this has gotten a little out of hand since no one posting is the Match Director. It is his game and I respect his hard work keeping the USPSA venue at Manville. To try to jam a revolver match down their throats is bad form in my opinion.

I will support whatever the Manville staff wishes to put on if I can make it.

Gary,
No one is jamming anything down anyone's throat.

Last I looked, We can shoot any division we choose.
This is merely an extention of last months challenge to shoot something we may NOT be very "comfortable with".
I think revolvers are a blast, and more people should try them.

What impact is it on the MD?
If anything, It brings a few extra shooter's to Manville, that supports their efforts.......

Not to get into a pissing contest here but just read the title. It is a USPSA match not a revolver match. A revolver match would usually be ICORE.

I just get a little uncomfortable when people, myself included, that do not set up the match, do not work the match, and are just guests start determining the flavor of the match.

I am as much to blame as anyone (if blame is the correct term) I jumped on the band wagon. The more I thought it over, the more I was uncomfortable with it.

I was just stating my opinions on the whole idea. Yes, people can shoot any division they want to shoot but have a "Revolver Match" would be up to the people that run the match.

Maybe just semantics.

Off to get ready for Independent. Lots of driving this weekend but all worth it.

Edit to add: The jamming part came from the suggestion this be Manville. No mention of Monson, Westfield, Harvard, Augusta, New bedford, Bass River or any other club.

Last edited:
When it comes time for scores, it does impact the MD. Changing the divisions of the usual suspects takes time. I have done scores and I remember the mistakes I made. Again, Maybe just me

Matt always seems to have enough time on his hands to yak on this forum.
If we all fill out the score sheet right, it would take the man who is faster than a speeding palm, No time to get those scores up. Besides, all the really good shooters in the section would not be back from the Nationals yet.

Matt does a GREAT job with the scores!

and the post ROing![rofl]

Barrels too long, PF too high, matches too long, barrels too short, N frames are too big, too many rounds, matches on the wrong day, PF too low, matches too far, matches too short, too many SOs, K frames are too small, too few SOs, IDPA is out to get me, too many stages, USPSA is misdirected, ICORE is too wimpy, 8 shots are too many, too much flashlight, too many revolver shooters, L frames are too heavy, too few revolver shooters, 6 shots are too few, too much talk, too few stages, too little interest interest, manufacturers don't get it, too low a round count, it'll probably rain, 7 shots are useless, too many clubs, too few divisions, not enough publicity, too many divisions....

38 Special minor, speedloaders, 4" k frame, IDPA holster & holders, will bring reinforcements from the IDPA sector to prepare for the Nationals in Tulsa, Lord Vader is driving, loser buys lunch.

Craig

For the record: S&W IDPA & HGC/CSS IDPA and ICORE matches welcome any and all revolver shooters regardless of classification - any time, at any match in any Division within the provisions of the respective rules governing the sport. No advanced sign-up or notification is required. You may arrive singly or in groups. You can arrange your trip on any and all internet forums and plan your trip in advance. Even if you don''t typically shoot revolvers, like revolvers, know what a yoke stretcher is, or can count to 6,7 or 8 consistently, we'll be happy to see you. Any MD at any of those events that discourages or admonishes a competitor for shooting a revolver, or even displays the slightest inclination of shooting a revolver, will be swiftly removed and a suitable replacement immediately installed.

Last edited:
I might be interesting in this as well... I might be porked shooting my 4" 686 in minor but what the hell...

Matter of fact I just completed some test loads:

158gr Berrys
4.8gr W231
1.500" COL
Fed Primers
Bone Stock 686!

PF 126+ May make a batch with 4.9gr.
Based on my experience with that powder, 4.8 will not make PF when it gets cooler. I'm at 5.0 to cover all bases and it works great. Still very fast follow ups but knocks steel with authority and it will never be questionable at chrono time.

Based on my experience with that powder, 4.8 will not make PF when it gets cooler. I'm at 5.0 to cover all bases and it works great. Still very fast follow ups but knocks steel with authority and it will never be questionable at chrono time.

Funny about that... I made another batch at home and hadn't adjusted the powder drop... I checked a random load and found the load to be at about 5.0gr!! WTF. Ill likely keep it at 5.0gr and rechrono.

Shot a match today with the G34.. but tomorrow I'll break out the 686 for a spin for a little while. Looking forward to the change.

Craig- I'm going to try to go the Hartford classifier/ICORE on the 5th with Gene... we need to do some work with the wives since it's on Labor Day weekend!

Say what you mean, Mean what you say.....

So, does that mean I can borrow a space gun and play like one of the big boys while you play ICORE?????

I will load you up some ammo for the revo and get it all clipped. We can swap guns for a day. If you like the revo, I can set it up to work on all primers so your 45 loads will work. Get through the Nationals and we can talk.

Independent Saturday??
Originally Posted by Round Gun Shooter

Don't count on me. My gear is on loan to Mooney for the Nats and to Rob after. If I make it and it will be a big if I will shoot Major from carry gear and load with speed loaders from a bag. So, 357 Mag from a 2.5" 66 and IWB Holster How About it John, little heavy metal revo style? As for Ms Le, I have a 3" J frame NYPD Woman's gun for her
I'm thinking my 625 4'' major,
Gary,
I CAN BRING YOUR OLD FRIEND IF YOU WANT, MR. 1955 TARGET
QUOTE=Round Gun Shooter;1060095]No extra retention device. But Thanks for the thought.

Anyway, this has gotten a little out of hand since no one posting is the Match Director. It is his game and I respect his hard work keeping the USPSA venue at Manville. To try to jam a revolver match down their throats is bad form in my opinion.

I will support whatever the Manville staff wishes to put on if I can make it.[/QUOTE]

Not to get into a pissing contest here but just read the title. It is a USPSA match not a revolver match. A revolver match would usually be ICORE.

I just get a little uncomfortable when people, myself included, that do not set up the match, do not work the match, and are just guests start determining the flavor of the match.

I am as much to blame as anyone (if blame is the correct term) I jumped on the band wagon. The more I thought it over, the more I was uncomfortable with it.

I was just stating my opinions on the whole idea. Yes, people can shoot any division they want to shoot but have a "Revolver Match" would be up to the people that run the match.

Maybe just semantics.

Off to get ready for Independent. Lots of driving this weekend but all worth it.

Edit to add: The jamming part came from the suggestion this be Manville. No mention of Monson, Westfield, Harvard, Augusta, New bedford, Bass River or any other club.

QUOTE=Round Gun Shooter;1060265]When it comes time for scores, it does impact the MD. Changing the divisions of the usual suspects takes time. I have done scores and I remember the mistakes I made. Again, Maybe just me[/QUOTE]

Since you like smilies so much, here are a couple for you

biteme.gif
color].gif

Last edited:
Funny about that... I made another batch at home and hadn't adjusted the powder drop... I checked a random load and found the load to be at about 5.0gr!! WTF. Ill likely keep it at 5.0gr and rechrono.

Shot a match today with the G34.. but tomorrow I'll break out the 686 for a spin for a little while. Looking forward to the change.

Craig- I'm going to try to go the Hartford classifier/ICORE on the 5th with Gene... we need to do some work with the wives since it's on Labor Day weekend!

Well, we're not in the reloading forum but since the question has been brought up, here's a summary of my experience with W231 in .38 Special over a 60 degree temperature range:

@ 25 deg F, ten shot average of 5.0 grains under a 158 gr LSWC: 836 fps.

@ 85 deg F, ten shot average of same exact load: 909 fps.

I've found you need to get the Berrys 158 gr CPRN over 800 fps to maximize precision.

Here are my loads:

Berrys 158 gr plated loaded to 1.500" coal

ICORE/USPSA minor: 4.0 gr TG or 4.2 gr VV N320 = 840 fps, 5" barrel

IDPA SSR: 4.4 gr TG or 4.8 gr VV N320 = 840 fps, 4" barrel

Both TG and N320 burn clean enough from 0oF to 90oF to easily perform 5 successive revolver reloads without cleaning the cylinder. I wouldn't say that for W231.

Do USPSA club matches usually collect ammunition for chrono? IDPA and ICORE do not.

Last edited:
Thanks guys- I have some N320 and a little TG to build up some loads for this match. I'll give it a try if I have time... I just have used 231 for so long and I can literally use it for everything I load... 9, 40, 45, 38

Thanks guys- I have some N320 and a little TG to build up some loads for this match. I'll give it a try if I have time... I just have used 231 for so long and I can literally use it for everything I load... 9, 40, 45, 38

If you need to make 125 PF, 4.9 - 5.0 of 231 will do the job in a 4" gun.

I've found you need to get the Berrys 158 gr CPRN over 800 fps to maximize precision.

Here are my loads:

Berrys 158 gr plated loaded to 1.500" coal

ICORE/USPSA minor: 4.0 gr TG or 4.2 gr VV N320 = 840 fps, 5" barrel

IDPA SSR: 4.4 gr TG or 4.8 gr VV N320 = 840 fps, 4" barrel

Both TG and N320 burn clean enough from 0oF to 90oF to easily perform 5 successive revolver reloads without cleaning the cylinder. I wouldn't say that for W231.

Do USPSA club matches usually collect ammunition for chrono? IDPA and ICORE do not.

Listen to the man,
He knows things about revolvers!

Listen to the man,
He knows things about revolvers!

Well... my load with 4.8gr of N320 didn't give me anything near 840 ft/s out of my 686!! Either way I enjoyed my practice today with that gun... it's a gun that can't be more different than my Glock. I was having lots of trouble finding the mag release button!! My reloads are UGLY....

Craig Buckland/Lugnut

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm new to revolvers (don't own one YET), but would like to give them a try in IDPA. Are all the loads both of you quote in .38 spl cases? From my research it seems to be preferred to use .38 cases for reloading minor. For me it would have the added benefit of not having to swap out the priming system on my 550b (I currently only load 9mm). If they are .38 cases, do you use +P cases or any case? Any recommendations for an IDPA legal kydex holster? I'm looking for either a K or L frame S&W for a ruger gp100.

Thanks

Eisenhow,

Yes, 38 Special cases loaded to 1.500" coal.

I did the same thing with my 550B, just swapping shell plates and tool heads.

38 Special is the way to go in SSR. Buy a 357 Mag revolver and you can also shoot ESR with 357 Magnums (not a lot of fun, but possible)

Check out D&D holsters. Daren makes good stuff. You can contact him at : [email protected]

Tell him I sent you.

S&W K and L frames are great choices - never heard of Ruger.

Craig

Craig certainly has a ton more experience than I and he's given me tons of good advice.

I'm currently using 38 Special cases only.. maybe a +P case here and there that I've picked up. My loads are probably in the +P range per some of the reloading manuals but I have seen no high pressure signs at all and my Federal primers are not flattened at all!

I use a S&W bone stock 686-6, 4" barrel. My current loads are 5.1gr of W231, 1.500" COL, Fed primers, Berrys 158 gr RN (I don't like the FPs). I like the extra margin for safety using the L frame/.357 gun. S&W makes a 686SSR that is made for IDPA- it has some nice features and is a tad lighter than the 686- 4" that I have.... mine has the full lug (I think that's what they call it!)

I have a BladeTech holster that I don't really love but it's ok. I'm in the process of finding some good speed loader pouches. I use Safariland Comp III speedloaders.

Did you mark you calendar on Oct 18th?

If you want to try my gun send me a PM, I'm sure we can hook up at the next practice, match.

Back
Top Bottom