• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7 Marines killed in explosion during training exercise at Army depot in Nevada - U.S.

A cook off on a 60mm mortar makes no sense at all. The tube can't possibly retain enough heat and then transfer it to the round to cause a detonation, even if they had a failure to fire and/or a stuck round.

This^^^^^
If a cook off was that easy to obtain, that weapon system would never have seen the light of day beyond its initial testing.

Also, IF that much heat were present, the propelling charge would have gone off and launched the projo long before any HE initiated.

Cook off is off the list of potential causes with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy dropping the shell into the tube survived because he was still twisting his body away as the round cooked off in the tube. A large piece of shrapnel that would have killed him ended up lodged through his rifle that was slung across his back.

By definition, that can't possibly be a cookoff. A cookoff happens when a round is stuck and becomes so hot that it fires -- fires, not detonates the explosive charge.

Whatever made the HE explode (bad fuse is the only logical explanation), it wasn't a cookoff.

Human Error to Blame for Deadly Accident - Link

RALEIGH, N.C. - A military investigation has determined human error was to blame for a March mortar explosion that killed seven U.S. Marines during a live-fire training exercise in Nevada.

1st Lt. Oliver David, a spokesman at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, said in a press release Wednesday that a Marine operating a 60 mm mortar tube and ammunition "did not follow correct procedures, resulting in the detonation of a high explosive round at the mortar position."

The investigation initiated by Brig. Gen. James Lukeman, the commanding general of the Camp Lejeune-based 2nd Marine Division, also determined that the mortar team involved in the accident had not conducted "appropriate preparatory training" leading up to the nighttime live-fire exercise.

The Marines did not release a copy of the investigative report and declined to provide any further details about the nature of the deadly mistake. Officials also would not say whether changes to training procedures were enacted as a result of the review.

Marine officials announced earlier this month that two officers and a non-commissioned officer were removed from command following the March 18 accident at Hawthorne Army Depot. Seven Marines and a sailor were also wounded.

Lukeman relieved battalion commander Lt. Col. Andrew McNulty on May 8. Company commander Capt. Kelby Breivogel and Chief Warrant Officer 3 Douglas Derring, the battalion's infantry weapons officer, were also relieved of their duties.

Report: Double-Loaded Mortar Tube Caused Blast

A double-loaded mortar tube was the source of the explosion that killed seven Marines and wounded eight other troops during a nighttime, live-fire training exercise last March in Nevada, the Marine Corps Times is reporting.

Because of the terrain, the Marines at Hawthorne the night of the blast were grouped tightly around two mortar tubes. The explosion occurred when a Marine inserted a second round into a mortar tube, detonating the round already in it and shooting out the half-loaded round, the website reported, citing the investigation’s findings.

Sucks... but sounds like an honest accident. At least they burned a bunch of guys and ruined their careers over an honest but deadly mistake. Don't get me wrong, it is a lesson learned and a lesson learned the hard way. But based off that report I fail to see sufficient reason to rake a bunch of guys through the coals. News flash. High explosives made by the lowest bidder are dangerous. As much as Id love to talk crap about the officers... seems unfair to me.

My thoughts with the families involved.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

How do you "double load" a mortar? The first round should have been on its way long before someone could have loaded a second round.

How do you "double load" a mortar? The first round should have been on its way long before someone could have loaded a second round.

2 ways... a dud you somehow miss... or the 60s have an optional hand fire mode, so you can say aim it at a building amd pull the trigger on the move, essentially using it as a big grenade launcher.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom