• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7 Marines killed in explosion during training exercise at Army depot in Nevada - U.S.

Practice ammo is avialable for the 81mm mortar, why not for the 60?

You've got to fire real ammo to keep the stuff in rotation and for other reasons. How much enthusiasm are you going to get from a bunch of guys if they see a little chalk round puff at X number of meters away? Firing the real stuff builds confidence in the weapon system and builds enthusiasm for the men. Much like shooting exploding targets or ringing a steel gong or other reactive targets at the rifle range as opposed to shooting paper.

This type of incident is extremely rare.

I was a 60s guy and we had ammo so old an entire lot wouldn't even fire.

If that was the case, it was a fluke not anywhere near the norm for mortars or artillery. The entire lot would/should have been pulled by the FDO after the second or third dud or hangfire and the lot sent for destruction by the engineers and an investigation done as to its storage conditions. The FDO dropped the ball in my opinion, along with the XO and the battery/company commander.

That son of a bitch should be hanged and quartered. His making such a statement leads me to believe he probably had the thing sabotaged for his own political purposes. I long for the day he and pelosi are set before a firing squad.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

This came as no surprise to me. These A-holes (including the President) have propagandized 20 dead children since 5 minutes after the story broke on the 12/14.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

This came as no surprise to me. These A-holes (including the President) have propagandized 20 dead children since 5 minutes after the story broke on the 12/14.

Yes, shows their complete lack of respect for others and just how far they'll go to attain their agenda.

Just got off the phone with my mom. She was telling me that the Lt. Col. for the Regiment that was involved in the accident met with all of the first responders at the VFW there in Hawthorne.

He personally thanked everyone for their support and effort is saving the seven wounded and also thanked the town for opening their homes and hearts to the Marines.

From what my mom says, one of the Marines, the Fleet Marine was standing close to the tube and basically lost the lower part of his face in the accident and has gone under 4 surgeries so far and is still in serious condition.

The VFW and local businesses held a recognition ceremony in town for the wounded and raised close to $1,000. Additionally, other VFW posts in the state have sent money. Mom estimates that they will be sending something like $3,000 to the FRG people at Camp Lejeune for the families of the survivors.

Now, this is second hand from my mom, but the Lt. Col. stated that the round cooked off in the tube. The crew didn't let the tube cool enough before dropping the round in. I'm not a military person and have zero experience with this, so, take it at face value.

But...does that statement make sense to anyone who has experience with those 60mm mortars?

An 0341 I may or may not be best friends with said 99.9% sure its bullshit.

Mike

Yeah...that sounded a bit odd to me too. I mean...you're in combat...the last thing you want to do is have to wait a predetermined amount of time before dropping in another round. Machine guns...sure....I can see catastrophic failures in the barrel if it over heats...but that would be extraordinary circumstances.

I'll talk to my dad and see what he says...

I just found out tonight at band practice that our guitarists son was about 250 yards from where this happened. I knew he was in training out west but I assumed it was Camp Pendleton. Rest in peace to those who died. May their loved ones find comfort and solace somehow

I just found out tonight at band practice that our guitarists son was about 250 yards from where this happened. I knew he was in training out west but I assumed it was Camp Pendleton. Rest in peace to those who died. May their loved ones find comfort and solace somehow

Pass on my gratitude for his service and his families sacrifices as well.

Ya i was an 0341. I have never heard of a cook off in the tube. And i have shot alot of mortar rounds. One thing that i have seen though is a mortar round leave the tube and explode over head. On the fuze of the mortar round you can select how far above the ground you want the round to detonate. There were low clouds that day so we figured that the fuze mistook the clouds for the ground.

The whole cook off thing sounds like maybe they are trying to put the blame on the guys who were hurt/killed. Who knows.

Cook off doesn't make a lot of sense. It doesn't seem like the round was in the tube long enough. If the tube was that hot, wouldn't the propellant go off first?

PS Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I trained on the 60 and the 81 but this was not my MOS.

A cook off on a 60mm mortar makes no sense at all. The tube can't possibly retain enough heat and then transfer it to the round to cause a detonation, even if they had a failure to fire and/or a stuck round.

My lifelong friend from Norfolk was in this unit and was only a couple hundred feet away at the time. His best friend who he went through basic and a combat tour in Afghanistan with died with that mortar team. [sad]

The guy dropping the shell into the tube survived because he was still twisting his body away as the round cooked off in the tube. A large piece of shrapnel that would have killed him ended up lodged through his rifle that was slung across his back.

Sorry for your buddy's loss and glad for his luck at the same time. [sad]

Did he say it cooked off in the tube?

Yeah he mentioned specifically that the shrapnel that pierced the survivor's rifle was part of the mortar tube. I have no military experience so I really don't know how a malfunction would occur that could cause this.

Faulty fuse? Would think that before I would think a round could cook off.....

Back
Top Bottom