7.62x39 Tula vs Golden Tiger

Rockrivr1

NES Member
In your estimation what is the better ammo Tula or Golden Tiger? Was looking to pick up some 7.62x39 and could get a 1000 rounds of 124gr Golden Tiger for $220 or a Spam Can of 640 rounds of 122gr Tula for $156. Both are steel cased and bimetal covered lead. Come out to:

Golden Tiger = $0.22 a round
Tula = $0.24 a round

Not much of a difference overall price wise. What do you think the better ammo is?

Golden tiger is more accurate in my CZ527. I actually shot both brands a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT for the win. I got 3 cases of that stuff. Works great.

Are you getting the GT at collectable arms in Merrimack? Just curious if they lowered their price from $250 per 1,000. 22 cents is a great deal.

Golden tiger is much better ammo. Lacquered cases and sealed primers.

I've got some Tula in my basement loose in an ammo box. My basement is fairly dry. After a couple years the Tula cases are starting to rust. I better shoot it soon, actually. I have some golden tiger there too. No issue.

My experience with Tulammo has been pretty poor, I don't plan on buying it anymore. I have heard good things about Golden Tiger, though, consistently. I'm actually planning to pick up a case of it this week, weather permitting.

Last edited:
GT for the win. I got 3 cases of that stuff. Works great.

Are you getting the GT at collectable arms in Merrimack? Just curious if they lowered their price from $250 per 1,000. 22 cents is a great deal.

Only have seen it for 220 before shipping. That is good!

On price alone I would get the Golden Tiger. I haven't had any issues with Tulammo. Haven't shot any GT yet but haven't read much negative coverage on it.

Although if you can get your hands on some of this stuff from Tulammo it apparently hasn't been imported in a long time and is getting good reviews.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/tula/...w-point-ammo-made-ulyanovsk-cartridge-works-u

[video]https://youtu.be/0ENhmMKuaVU[/video]

While we are talking about Tigers, do try Tiger Lager if you are ever in S. E. Asia...

I am sure some specialty beer stores sell it. Great when it is 95F RH%90!

I have been shooting golden tiger for a long time now.
It's always gone bang and always sounds the same shot to shot vs tula and some wolf.
A ways back I had a remington mini mauser in x39. I think these where made by CZ for remington?
Any how GT was the most consistent stuff I shot other than some early lapua match from way back.
Now depending on your platform the cheapest stuff is usually pretty good for blasting.
, the absolute best x39 I have shot through my sks is the yugo surplus brass cased stuff. Corrosive but really good ammo.

golden tiger is incredibly accurate out of my SKS. i shoot it 300 yards with iron sights all day long hitting steel. it's my favorite 7.62 steel case ammo. HOWEVER, the golden tiger seems to have harder primer than tulammo or wolf. so i would factor in the rifle. if it's a bolt action, SKS or AK then the GT is great. for an AR or something typically weaker ignition then the GT might generate more lightstrikes. this is not pure conjecture as my side-by-side comparisons confirm these results.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Golden Tiger! It works great in my SKS and my friends AK.

Between the two if us ( and a few ammo bumming friends) we must have shot 1000 to 2000 rds over a year or so.)

GT is sealed in two places...at the primer pocket and where the bullet seats in the cartridge neck.
Those seals keep out moisture... Tula ammo is not sealed and is dirtier to shoot (in my opinion).
Both GT and Wolf is steel cased and non corrosive.

You can get Golden Tiger online at SGAmmo: http://www.sgammo.com/product/golde...39-fmj-bt-golden-tiger-124-grain-russian-ammo --- 1000 rds $219 plus $22 shipping =$241

You can also buy it at 619 DW Guns and Ammo in Merrimack NH.... only shop in New England that I know of that carries the stuff.
I was there a week ago and I think they were selling a case...1000 rounds of GT for $239. The also were selling 500 rd packages ..don't remember the price but I think it was 1/2 the cost of the case price.

When I was there, I also noticed they also were carrying some Golden Tiger in .223! Interesting!!! Going to have to check that out !!

I'd go with the Golden Tiger! It works great in my SKS and my friends AK.

Between the two if us ( and a few ammo bumming friends) we must have shot 1000 to 2000 rds over a year or so.)

GT is sealed in two places...at the primer pocket and where the bullet seats in the cartridge neck.
Those seals keep out moisture... Tula ammo is not sealed and is dirtier to shoot (in my opinion).
Both GT and Wolf is steel cased and non corrosive.

You can get Golden Tiger online at SGAmmo: http://www.sgammo.com/product/golde...39-fmj-bt-golden-tiger-124-grain-russian-ammo --- 1000 rds $219 plus $22 shipping =$241

You can also buy it at 619 DW Guns and Ammo in Merrimack NH.... only shop in New England that I know of that carries the stuff.
I was there a week ago and I think they were selling a case...1000 rounds of GT for $239. The also were selling 500 rd packages ..don't remember the price but I think it was 1/2 the cost of the case price.

When I was there, I also noticed they also were carrying some Golden Tiger in .223! Interesting!!! Going to have to check that out !!

GT has expanded their line a bit.

I don't think you'll get anybody to say that Tula is better than GT, and if GT is cheaper, it is an easy decision.

I have had zero problems with Tula, and I have shot several cases of it, but Golden Tiger is cleaner and more accurate.

I’ve only shot brown bear and GT in my AK’s and SKS over the years but never Tula. Well after clearing out Walmart in December of 1,000 rounds of Tula, I finally shot some yesterday - 240 rounds through my Arsenal Sam7.

Seemed to be fairly “accurate” compared to GT. No issues ringing my 8" plate at 120 yards with a damn near rapid fire rate. Not earth shattering accuracy but more than good enough for my needs and just as good as GT.

I’m sure storagewise, GT would be better due to the lacquer and primer sealant etc. But when you paid 12.5 cents per round, can’t be too picky...

Gt, wolf and tula. Have shot thousands of them all and not had any issues. 7.62x39,7.62x54r and 5.45x39. I store my ammo in ammo cans in my basement and just shot 7.62x54r tula ammo from 5 years ago and no rust on the casings like mentioned above. On Targetsports tula and wolf are 17-19 cents a round depending on your membership. The GT is really only available to us peasants by means of New Hampshire. So unless you live in northern MA or in NH itself i think GT is a bad investment for the slight improvement. At 4-6 cents more a round + gas to get it, you are now looking closer to 30 cents a round which is almost 85-90% more over the tula or wolf. The accuracy difference isn't worth the cost unless you are shooting for rank in which case id suggest brass cased. At 239$ for 1000 in NH you would be better off buying brass cased on target sports.

The GT is really only available to us peasants by means of New Hampshire. So unless you live in northern MA or in NH itself i think GT is a bad investment for the slight improvement. At 4-6 cents more a round + gas to get it, you are now looking closer to 30 cents a round which is almost 85-90% more over the tula or wolf. The accuracy difference isn't worth the cost unless you are shooting for rank in which case id suggest brass cased. At 239$ for 1000 in NH you would be better off buying brass cased on target sports.
I know last summer 619 DW gun in Merrimack, NH was selling cases of GT for $180. But I think that may have been a special? I think the regular pricing now is $200. But I hear what you're saying.

I believe Red Army Standard x39 is the same as GT? Both are made at the Vympel factory and both have the lacquer and primer/bullet sealant etc. Red Army is $222 on TSUSA (non-prime price).

Golden Tiger.

I never buy Tula. Only ammo to ever squib on me, twice.
That stinks. Fingers crossed I don't get any squibs in the 1000 rounds I have. Not overly concerned if I do since it will be rather obvious.

Golden tiger comes from a “newer” plant- Vympal or something. From what a have seem over the years is they dont make “every” type of cartridge. So they might be producing better ammo more consistantly.
Tula comes from Tula which makes everyrhing
Wolf - well wolf does not really have a home. It subs all its ammo out to who ever can box it up for them at a price point.
Somewhere on the box it usually says at least the country its made in

I like how the golden tiger from 619DW is imported directly to them and says so right on the box! Must be how they have such good deals on it.

Back
Top Bottom