625 & Reloads problem

I was shooting my 625-6 with 210gr trunucated cone over 5.2grs of W231.

I use these bullets in all my 45's with no problem but started getting problems with the 625-6.

It was either binding up and refusing to open or it was unlocking the cylinder and jumping the hand. Also I was having problems ejecting the rounds from the cylinder.

I checked the fired primers and they were fine and the 5.2grs of W231 is a light load.

I'm seating the bullet and using a Lee FCD for crimping. The metal moonclips are flat and fairly new.The revolver is clean and is in perfect working order, the fired primers look alright and and are seated properly.

I'm thinking bullet set back because I'm using tapered instead of roll crimped in a revolver.

I was wondering if any one has had a problem like this or any suggestions?

I was shooting my 625-6 with 210gr trunucated cone over 5.2grs of W231.

I use these bullets in all my 45's with no problem but started getting problems with the 625-6.

It was either binding up and refusing to open or it was unlocking the cylinder and jumping the hand. Also I was having problems ejecting the rounds from the cylinder.

I checked the fired primers and they were fine and the 5.2grs of W231 is a light load.

I'm seating the bullet and using a Lee FCD for crimping. The metal moonclips are flat and fairly new.The revolver is clean and is in perfect working order, the fired primers look alright and and are seated properly.

I'm thinking bullet set back because I'm using tapered instead of roll crimped in a revolver.

I was wondering if any one has had a problem like this or any suggestions?

Could be tight chambers on the cylinder or it could be crappy brass. I have run a SAMI spec reamer through my cylinder to make sure it was at proper specs. (I have the reamer if you want to send me your cylinder) Made a difference. I also had a problem with AMERC brass and will never use it again.

The other option is the EGW full length size die. I use that too in 45 and 40.

Regards,

Thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind. I've been using this revolver for a long time with no problems untill the last two trips to the range .

I really think it's the design of the 200 Grain Truncated Cone Plain Base which has a Standard Sizing of .452 and crimped with a Lee FCD.

I really think it's the design of the 200 Grain Truncated Cone Plain Base which has a Standard Sizing of .452 and crimped with a Lee FCD.

I suspect the bullet, as I've been using a nominal 205/actual 210 grain RNFP in my 625's (a plain 625-3, replaced w/a 625 PC) for years w/o difficulty. I use a Lee FCD to crimp and RCBS or Dillon carbide dies to size.

Thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind. I've been using this revolver for a long time with no problems untill the last two trips to the range .

If that is the case, try less crimp. you may be bulging the case.

Are the bullets plated? so, they may be soft enough to need less crimp

Back
Top Bottom