• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5 grendel opinions

I have 2 ARs right now and I do have a tendency to go bolt action or single shot ( Sharps,Browning,Ruger no1) but in this case a bolt action peeks my interest plus I'd like something unconventional that I could have fun with without breaking the bank and my shoulder. Ammo shouldn't be that tough to find and if worse comes to worse I got tons of 7.62x39 brass I could reform to 6.5 grendel

Seriously, SBR a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun :)

As for ammo, bonus that you can get (before corona panic) cheap steel rounds for practice.

So I was just checking TSUSA and the cheapest 6.5G round that they currently have in stock is $0.92/round (Federal Fusion). The most expensive that is in stock is
$1.15/round (Remington Premier Match). I realize prices are inflated all across the board, but what is the normal range for this round?

I have several ARs in .223/5.56, 1 300BLK, and 1 .308. I would get rid of one of my 5.56 rifles for 6.5G if the per round cost is reasonable. The 300BLK (Federal American Eagle) and .308 (Remington Premier Match) rounds aren’t cheap, but they’re not at that price (in normal times).

So I was just checking TSUSA and the cheapest 6.5G round that they currently have in stock is $0.92/round (Federal Fusion). The most expensive that is in stock is
$1.15/round (Remington Premier Match). I realize prices are inflated all across the board, but what is the normal range for this round?

I have several ARs in .223/5.56, 1 300BLK, and 1 .308. I would get rid of one of my 5.56 rifles for 6.5G if the per round cost is reasonable. The 300BLK (Federal American Eagle) and .308 (Remington Premier Match) rounds aren’t cheap, but they’re not at that price (in normal times).
most match ammo hovers around .80-$1.25
Only time I see 308 match for less is PPU 75 cents or so.
You need to reload to save , even then your looking at what 6.5 cheap bullet will run 18-20 cents? I tried finding bulk 6.5 for a creedmoor friend. I even looked for some 25 cal bullets .

Theres some 6.5 bullets out there for sale

Theres not much cheap with 6.5

You need to reload to save , even then your looking at what 6.5 cheap bullet will run 18-20 cents? I tried finding bulk 6.5 for a creedmoor friend. I even looked for some 25 cal bullets .

Wolf steel case 6.5 grendel is $5.99 a 20 pack. Yeah, it's steel case, but it gets pretty good reviews.

Just my 2 cents but they have mucked up the 6.5 Grendel like they did with the 6.8 SPC, type one, type two crap. I was all into this a couple years ago but its foggy now but I think the "type 2 chamber" is the original with compound throat which is also the SAAMI spec, It's also what Alexander Arms uses. I think there are like 4 different versions of this chamber now.

If you go the AR route buy a spare bolt. I have three builds in this cartridge (went down the rabbit hole big time on this one) all home builds. Two are based AA barrels and bolts and the third is BHW barrel w/ polygonal rifling, I forget where the BCG came from but it was a reputable manufacturer. all shoot good but have never really had the time to see what I could really get out of them.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents but they have mucked up the 6.5 Grendel like they did with the 6.8 SPC, type one, type 2 crap. I was all into this a couple years ago but its foggy now but I think the "type 2 chamber" is the original with compound throat which is also the SAAMI spec. It's also what Alexander Arms uses. I think there are like 4 different versions of this chamber now.

Without googling it I believe SAMMI wouldn’t give Bill Alexander a patent on 6.5 Grendel since it wasn’t a significant advancement as the bolt is 7.62 x 39. Whomever launched the second version (Wilson maybe) wanted to avoid issues with Alexander Arms so they modified the depth which improved the extractor in the process and called it Type 1 funny enough. That change in depth also earned Wilson a SAMMI approval.

I was talking about 6.5 Grendel, not 6.5 Creedmoor. If I did go the Creedmoor route, I’d definitely be buying a set of dies for my Lee. Would probably do the same for Grendel too.

Without googling it I believe SAMMI wouldn’t give Bill Alexander a patent on 6.5 Grendel since it wasn’t a significant advancement as the bolt is 7.62 x 39. Whomever launched the second version (Wilson maybe) wanted to avoid issues with Alexander Arms so they modified the depth which improved the extractor in the process and called it Type 1 funny enough. That change in depth also earned Wilson a SAMMI approval.
Then there is the 264 LBC, which I think is a 6.5 grendel type 1 with a super tight throat dimension...Or is that Wilson? I forget but that's what I mean, everybody tries to improve something and they end up confusing the shit out of everybody!!

I was talking about 6.5 Grendel, not 6.5 Creedmoor. If I did go the Creedmoor route, I’d definitely be buying a set of dies for my Lee. Would probably do the same for Grendel too.
6.5 grendel MATCH yes your looking at $1 round plus depending on the bullet stuffed up top.

Right now I'm waiting on 6.5 mm jacketed,mold blockgas checks,size die for cast bullets,6 boxes ammo and 6.5 grendel dies. Going to try reforming 7.62x39 to 6.5 grendel.
Scope and base mount coming as well,now if Carl will let me know if the rifle is in and when I can pick it up we'll be gtg

Right now I'm waiting on 6.5 mm jacketed,mold blockgas checks,size die for cast bullets,6 boxes ammo and 6.5 grendel dies. Going to try reforming 7.62x39 to 6.5 grendel.
Scope and base mount coming as well,now if Carl will let me know if the rifle is in and when I can pick it up we'll be gtg
which mold did you get.

Noe 266 -126fn-A03 2 cavity aluminium. Anyone considering an aluminum mold check NOE they really mak some of the best moulds out there.

Last edited:
6.5 Grendel opinions? Just to keep the calibers in perspective...

6.5 Creedmoor:

messy-top-knot-lasselom.jpg

6.5 Grendel:

content-066381.jpg

IDK are these calibers really that trendy man bun stuff? 6.5 G is a big boost to the AR-15 platform. Way better than 7.62x39mm in the AR-15.

Both are excellent choices for their intended purpose and 6.5 Creedmoor might be my favorite rifle caliber. That said, there is a ridiculous volume of memes for 6.5 CM and some friends give me crap about it. I figure 6.5 G deserves some crap as well.

Both are excellent choices for their intended purpose and 6.5 Creedmoor might be my favorite rifle caliber. That said, there is a ridiculous volume of memes for 6.5 CM and some friends give me crap about it. I figure 6.5 G deserves some crap as well.
yes 6.5 gendol does deserve some crap, its really not NES with out the crap.

6.5 Creedmoor is just another in a long line of marketing coups that give people delirium for no real reason. Want capability and availability? 6.5x55 Swede simply CANNOT be outdone by Creedmore. And the .270 Winchester is in every store that sells ammo. Ho-hum....................

6.5 Grendel is better than 6.8SPC, and fits in lighter and handier guns than 6.5 Screemoor. 3u9w72.jpg

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor is just another in a long line of marketing coups that give people delirium for no real reason. Want capability and availability? 6.5x55 Swede simply CANNOT be outdone by Creedmore. And the .270 Winchester is in every store that sells ammo. Ho-hum....................

6.5CM is no longer a fad or marketing ploy. It is supplanting 7.62x51 in gas guns, and rightfully so. Better ballistics, still great terminal performance, milder recoil. I get the ballistics of a 20-22” .308, in a 16” 6.5CM barrel. I held out a long time waiting to see if 6.5CM would fade away as a fad... it hasn’t and its SOCOM adoption is likely to filter down to conventional military. 7.62 NATO will be going the way of the dodo in the not too distant future. Now, for those hunters who already use a 308, yeah probably no reason to swap. 270 is also great for hunting. But if someone was getting a new rifle now in a short action, 6.5CM would be the route to take.

6.5 Grendel is better than 6.8SPC, and fits in lighter and handier guns than 6.5 Screemoor.View attachment 342268

Good point! That damn 6.5 Swede is taking up way too much shelf space at my LGS and Walmart too! I could make the same argument as you for 7.5 Swiss over 308, and would be wrong for the same reasons. 6.5 Swede is for sure a great round, but it's quite a bit longer than 6.5 CM. Not sure you can get it to work in a AR-308 platform or the most common 308 mags.

For most people and purposes, 6.5 Grendel would probably fit the need better than 6.5 CM. No argument there. If the intent is for long distance shooting (mine is), no one is going to use 6.5 Grendel- it goes transsonic a little beyond 400 yards. For that measure, why not just use .224 Valkyrie?

Total potatoes to oranges here. Not even apples to oranges.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you said, PappyM3, but there are so many Central and a South American countries, African countries, Former Bloc countries, that I don’t see .308 going anywhere any time soon. It’s not like 30-30. I still use .30-06 for hunting and I think that’s closer to being on its way out. .308 has another generation to go, at least. Just my $0.02.

For most people and purposes, 6.5 Grendel would probably fit the need better than 6.5 CM. No argument there. If the intent is for long distance shooting (mine is), no one is going to use 6.5 Grendel- it goes transsonic a little beyond 400 yards. ...

Unless I'm way off on velocity(2,200 fps?), I believe an 11.5" 6.5 Grendel shooting 123gr SST doesn't go transonic until 600-650ish. A 16" Grendel would be transonic in the 800-850 range. 22" does only seem to get you another 50 yards before going transonic though. I agree that CM is much better for long distance shooting, but Grendel isn't bad to stretch things out past mid-range a little. I think it really boils down to:

Between those two 6.5s, I think Creedmoor by default, Grendel if you want either an SBR or a light weight AR hunting rifle.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you said, PappyM3, but there are so many Central and a South American countries, African countries, Former Bloc countries, that I don’t see .308 going anywhere any time soon. It’s not like 30-30. I still use .30-06 for hunting and I think that’s closer to being on its way out. .308 has another generation to go, at least. Just my $0.02.

Oh, yeah, it'll still be around, but it will become less and less common in the U.S. Another generation to go is very reasonable, and like you said perhaps longer. I guess my "going the way of the dodo" was a bit colorful. In terms of the U.S. military, I think it holds true though.

Back
Top Bottom