5th Annual John Kelly Memorial - SUN 6/29/14 - Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Sunday, 6/29/14, we are putting on the John Kelly Memorial match at Harvard. It is the day after the IDPA club match so we are leaving one IDPA stage up. Craig Phillips and Aaron Haines are going to build one of the IDPA stages on Saturday that can be converted into a USPSA Stage with a lot of the props and visual barriers etc already pre-staged. My friend Jason Linn is going to set up a ProAm steel stage and one of the pits. We will round out the match by mixing 2 Steel Challenge stages - thanks to my friend Paul Dandini for offering to let us use the steel. Unfortunately, our Walls Wallsof Steel friends cannot make it this year because the schedule conflicts with their Mini Walls of Steel, which is an awesome match! First shots at 10:00 am; all proceeds to charity (half to the American Heart Association, half to GOAL to promote getting youths into shooting). If anyone is interested in helping, PM me or email me at [email protected]

EDITED: The donation we are asking for is $20, $10 to each charity.

Last edited:
Sunday, 6/29/14, we are putting on the John Kelly Memorial match at Harvard. It is the day after the IDPA club match so we are leaving one IDPA stage up. Craig Phillips and Aaron Haines are going to build one of the IDPA stages on Saturday that can be converted into a USPSA Stage with a lot of the props and visual barriers etc already pre-staged. My friend Jason Linn is going to set up a ProAm steel stage and one of the pits. We will round out the match by mixing 2 Steel Challenge stages - thanks to my friend Paul Dandini for offering to let us use the steel. Unfortunately, our Walls Wallsof Steel friends cannot make it this year because the schedule conflicts with their Mini Walls of Steel, which is an awesome match! First shots at 10:00 am; all proceeds to charity (half to the American Heart Association, half to GOAL to promote getting youths into shooting). If anyone is interested in helping, PM me or email me at [email protected]

John, is there a way, for those of us who cannot make it to the match, to contribute in the name of John Kelly?

John, is there a way, for those of us who cannot make it to the match, to contribute in the name of John Kelly?

Bill, and anyone else, you can PM for my address - if you want to make a check out to "Metro West Tactical" I will throw it into the the match fees. MWT then cuts a check to each organization.

Hey Shooters! We are a week out from the Kelly Memorial match and it is shaping up to be awesome . I have designed a ProAm stage that is going to be off the hook. ProAm is fun and exciting to shoot and watch. The stage will feature 11 poppers , 10 knock overs, two Texas stars and a Texas swinger and 5 shooting boxes. All GT Targets of course ! There will be an IDPA stage, a USPSA stage and my personal favorite Steel Challenge. If you want to make a weekend out of it there is a Metrowest IDPA match Saturday so all you USPSA guys can get your feet wet ;). Come out and show what you got !

Here is an indoor ProAm I ran in the winter if you want to see the targets.

http://youtu.be/Q3Naz9J9EJw

As you know Walls of Steel will not be, unfortunately, able to attend this year's John Kelly match held annually at Harvard. This is the first year we will miss this great event and to be honest we are regretting it. For those of you that never had the pleasure of meeting John all I can think to say is " That's really too bad". John was a great proponent of all disciplines of shooting. USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Walls of Steel and I'm sure more that I am not even aware of. He was always the first to ask if he could help with the match, always especially helpful to new people to the sports and as I remember always had a smile.

I am lucky to have been his friend and I learned as much from him as he did from all of us.

Next year we will not have this scheduling conflict with the matches because I really believe this a great event held in the honor of a great man and it's run by awesome people that I'm sure feel the same way I do.

To all the shooters who are attending this match, we at Walls of Steel wish you the best day of shooting and ask that you think about John and all that he has done to promote the shooting sports that he so enjoyed.

Respectfully,

Jim

Respectfully. We need more people in the world like Mr. Kelly. Never met him but he was always positive in his posts.

He is missed.

Last edited:
Sorry to miss this this year, I'll be down at mini-WoS. I didn't know John well but he was ever-present at the beginning of my action shooting experience. He was always welcoming to new shooters and participated in all the different sports: IDPA, USPSA, WoS etc.

OK, for all of you. One of my better John Kelly stories. We spent a lot of time together on the range and by email. I truly miss John and although I nrarely talk about him, he is nover out of my mind.

One day on my way to R&G club of New Bedford, I was running early. Got near the cemetery not far from the club and there was John in the cemetery looking at stones. we shared that interest.

When we met at the club, I jokingly said "What were you dong in the cemetery? Picking your spot?" We laughed and joked some more. Less than a year later. I was at John's wake with my friend Mooney.

I hope John got the spot he wanted.

Back
Top Bottom