58 House Republicans sponsor bill to repeal federal firearm, ammo excise tax, NFA transfer tax

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
HR8167:
Text - H.R.8167 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): RETURN our Constitutional Rights Act of 2022

The goal is to excise the 10% excise tax on handgun purchases and the 11% excise tax on long, ammo, and archery purchases that provide funding for the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act (16 U.S.C. 669b(a)) from the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

Some of the funds have been put to good use in conservation, and the bill has pitted conservationists against those who believe rights should not be taxed. My guess is, though, alleged misuse of existing revenue and Democratic braying about increasing the taxes and using them to fund firearm prohibition, sold as doing something about "gun violence," is what prompted this bill.

Here is a fun paper on how the revenue is used:
Violent Entanglements on JSTOR

Misuse???

Pittman Robertson, as well as Huge Dingle funds, get allocated to the states as matching funds. I can't think of many programs that have been as successful as PRDJ. You can question why "shooters" are paying for it. Which this is doing. But saying it's a failure or a boondoggle is a complete falsehood. It's the exact opposite of how government typically works. (See: EPA, SEC, ATF, ETC. lol)

I'm torn on the ammo and other firearms tax. We live in a very different world than 1937. PRDJ is very very simple. So it's easy to administer. Any changes would make it more complicated - adding personnel which could just funnel more money to government oversight and less to conservation. I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe pistol-caliber stuff is exempt?

Meh it's just another election year stunt by republicans. If they take both houses of congress, hell if every single senator and rep were republicans cocaine Mitch would still be hiding the legislation in his desk.
Even if the repubs gain 100% of power it sadly isn’t going to get any traction.
I’d love to be wrong but..,

Of course. It's always about getting re-elected. Imagine if you were able to convince your entire bloc to change enough laws in a short period of time to do the country amazing good. . . . but the majority of you would lose your jobs??? Unpossible.

Of course, the other side would then gain a supermajority and then reverse everything - also not fearing for their jobs.

Sometimes, having this compromise system avoids stupid shit from happening. (See: Post-Bruen legislation in supermajority NY and CA)

Even if the repubs gain 100% of power it sadly isn’t going to get any traction.
I’d love to be wrong but..,
You must have the super duper, extra special, extra accurate, crystal ball version.

Nobody knows what goes on in the inner circles of DC.

All taxes on 2A related items are unconstitutional. It's long past time to start repealing ALL of them, one by one or by blanket impact.

You must have the super duper, extra special, extra accurate, crystal ball version.

Nobody knows what goes on in the inner circles of DC.

All taxes on 2A related items are unconstitutional. It's long past time to start repealing ALL of them, one by one or by blanket impact.
I’m not arguing about what is or shouldn’t be happening. I just think with the severe debt mounting by the second the chances of cutting taxes are a pipe dream.
The beast must be fed to stay alive and I don’t see any positive outcome on the efforts.
Please note: I’m not disagreeing that the NFA tax stamp is a f***ing joke.

Just 58 out of 210 GOP Reps? That’s a pretty poor meaningless gesture…

That JSTOR article looks like some anti-gun academics (Geography & Sociology) finding a way to score some government and private funding to blame guns for whatever is selling today.

The deepening dependence of conservation funding on firearms sales only reaffirms this historic bond between violence, racism, and lands and wildlife management. In terms of violence alone, an increasing body of evidence links greater availability of guns per se—and especially handguns—to higher rates of gun-related deaths “

“Other groups have proposed ways to make wildlife conservation less dependent on guns. One idea from some backcountry hunters and Forest Service employees is to create a “backpack tax” on equipment used for outdoor activities like hiking and birding.

Last edited:
We'll just file this bill right next to universal carry. It'll sit between Obamas birth certificate and Trumps tax return if you need it.
More standing on a soapbox but if it makes some people think these a hole politicians are working for us then fine. I realize they are only pissing down their legs in a dark suit.

Aww that's cute , introduce it now that you know it has a snowball's chance in hell of passing.
Let's see it back on the table on day one if they take back the house and senate .
Then I might be mildly impressed .
The problem is , they think they are dealing with the same low information voters that vote for democrats.

My "I'm a gun owner too " "Republican" rep seemed shocked when I actually knew they stripped out the penalties from the red flag law at the last minute that he happily signed .
When I called him out for signing it , he started giving me the "Well there are severe penalties for filing false reports. " horse shit which I shut down real quick.
They really do think everyone but them is stupid and uninformed.

What I would like to know is ... if this happens, would we see an instant reduction in the cost of guns and ammo?

I wouldn’t bet on the prices to go down. Where the money goes is anyone’s guess.
It goes around and around and ends up in the pockets of politicians in the form of money laundering. What do you think this entire Ukraine war is about? Ukraine is the money laundering capital of the world's politicians.

People don't think its because of their view on gay pride that we're sending them billions and billions of taxpayer dollars do they?

The average person needs to wake the fuk up!
/my.02

I wonder what Our political landscape would look like if Our Founding Fathers had included Term Limits in the Constitution...

Nothing. No change. Nada. Zip. Noodle.

Expecting Term Limits to stop Congressional corruption is like expecting a gun registry to stop murders. It will help for a short period of time. Then the "machine" will figure out a way around it all.

I look at my industry - financial services. 30 years ago, you would have full-page ads in the industry press. "Annuity - Guaranteed 12% commission!" I'm sorry, what??? How about how it can help the client. F the client.

You'd have mutual fund companies paying you 6% commission. If you sold $100,000 of their fund, you'd get a lobster dinner FedEx'd to you. $200K, you'd get a weekend down the Cape. $500K - they'd send you to Bermuda for 4 days. On top of the 6%.

Do I think that financial wizards were any MORE corrupt in 1992 than 2022?? Nope. Same thing.

Now look at polimatishans. 30 years ago was full of junkets and seventeen martini lunches and legal lobbyist graft all over. Remember that Gary Hart got in trouble b/c of a lobbyist junket with some bimbo.

Do we think politicians were MORE corrupt 30 years ago or today?

It's not about the system. You can ALWAYS figure out a way to game the system.

It goes around and around and ends up in the pockets of politicians in the form of money laundering. What do you think this entire Ukraine war is about? Ukraine is the money laundering capital of the world's politicians.

People don't think its because of their view on gay pride that we're sending them billions and billions of taxpayer dollars do they?

The average person needs to wake the fuk up!
/my.02
You won’t find an argument with me over that but you forgot another theft of tax dollars ever with Covid

Back
Top Bottom