55gr .223 bullets

How much are you guys spending ? And where are you getting it from? I live towards the cape and have been really interested in reloading .223 . I got a rough price today at a local gun shop, on how much it would cost to reload 1000rds , minus the brass and he told me it would be around $250 for everything , bullets , powder, primers . Does this sound accurate. If it is going to be in that price range I might just make a visit to qmmo instead of doing it myself. I just shoot paper , no hunting or competition , so I dont need any fancy brand bullets . Also is $15 per 100 once fired brass a good deal or are there better deals out there. Like I said I am new to the reloading scene , just dont want to be spending more than I have to , and I figured I would ask the experts on this website to start me off in the right direction .

How much are you guys spending ? And where are you getting it from? I live towards the cape and have been really interested in reloading .223 . I got a rough price today at a local gun shop, on how much it would cost to reload 1000rds , minus the brass and he told me it would be around $250 for everything , bullets , powder, primers . Does this sound accurate. If it is going to be in that price range I might just make a visit to qmmo instead of doing it myself. I just shoot paper , no hunting or competition , so I dont need any fancy brand bullets . Also is $15 per 100 once fired brass a good deal or are there better deals out there. Like I said I am new to the reloading scene , just dont want to be spending more than I have to , and I figured I would ask the experts on this website to start me off in the right direction .

The above is a bit pricey and may reflect his component costs. I just loaded a little over
500 rounds and it cost about $90 minus brass. That must be new brass costs. You can
get once fired brass (LC) cheaper than that from time to time. The thing about reloading
is you have to become a brass rat at the range and be able to scrounge around for what
you need. The price to reload is about half what it costs to purchase if you can scrounge
the brass. If not, then you have to factor about 1/6 the cost of brass, if it is good brass,
into the cost equation each time you reload. Even if you paid $15/100 then the brass cost
each time you reloaded it would only be 2.5 cents per round. The best price I have seen
on .223 lately is 500 rounds for around $200 and going up.

223reloadcosts.jpg

Last edited:
Hornady bullets in bulk: .07 each

H322 8lb container will yield about 2800 rounds at 20 grains per round (what my gun likes). $140 for the 8 lbs makes each round about .05

Primers are about .03

Depending on what brass you buy, and the amount of reloads out of each, about .02 per load.

Total is about 17 cents/round

Of course none of this includes shipping charges if you have any or the price of the press and accessories.

Dave

More 223 ?

Lets see if we can keep the thread going. Can you all give me your preferences on manufacturers and what we should expect to pay. Also local vendors ( anywhere east of worcester) I'm on cape

I think your better off reloading 1.save$$ 2.tune to your gun for better accuracy
3.Satisfaction. Those are the top three. I just started about four months ago and I had the same thoughts, I definitly would say go for it just don't go overboard with components, defintitly get some books, Assuming your shooting A AR 15 you realy don't need precision components
after some reading and testing I realized that. If you want to PM me I know A place where you don't have to drive to get components

Hornady bullets in bulk: .07 each

H322 8lb container will yield about 2800 rounds at 20 grains per round (what my gun likes). $140 for the 8 lbs makes each round about .05

Primers are about .03

Depending on what brass you buy, and the amount of reloads out of each, about .02 per load.

Total is about 17 cents/round

Of course none of this includes shipping charges if you have any or the price of the press and accessories.

Dave

wow 20 grains.....middle of the road charge for 322 is 24.5 grains for an ar-15 i think i will try a few at 20 to see if they cycle. at that load i could get a free load every 5 shells......

Wow, $250/1000 minus brass...

I can easily get 1000 bullets (55gr, FMJ-boattail) from cabella's about $94 after tax, without any specials going on. I know they can be found for less. 1000 small rifle primers run about $30. Powder's running about $22/lb, and you'd generously need about 3.25lbs of powder which seems to be going at either $22/lb buying in 1lb containers, or $150/8lbs (19/lb). All told without looking for any special deals, I can reload 5.56/.223 for about $185/1000rounds.

When I order from Cabella's, I have them ship to their Maine store, and I go and pick it up. They do not ship to MA. You're probably closer to their CT store.

Last edited:
I think the brass is a bit steep. You can pick up fully processed & primed once fired for a bit less than 150/1000. The bullets are the big variable in the quote, you can add from .07 to .30 per round.

Back
Top Bottom