53 Izveshk SKS- (refurb)

40 caliber

NES Member
Any serious sks collector desires a 53 Izveshk. These are one of the most rare SKSs . There are some others (Vietnam bringback, North Korean etc...) but a 53 Izzy is right up there in the holy grail among those of us mortals that can't afford or find these rare gems.

The last 53 Izveshk (original non refurb) that I saw go on Gunbroker was around $1380. a little more than my gun allowance will bear for a single rifle. Imagine my suprise when i came across this refurb! Granted, it is a black bolt with BBQ paint which is my least favorite russian SKS. It is however an Izzy and a 53 Izzy. It also came nowhere near those prices.

I may never own a 53 Izzy non refurb, but my collection has a a hole filled with an acceptable "pinch hitter". ok all you mortals and non mortals (Martin08) feel free to post your 53Izzy refurbs and non refurbs and let's all share the moment. another NESr has joined the fold!

and yes, the bore is excellent, laminated stock , it looks like it has never been shot since refurb and it is all matching. She is also somewhat of a blonde, even though I prefer the reds. [wink]

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

Last edited:
Very very nice, is this the second 53 izzy for you? I'm on the hunt and building up funds as we speak, you know in case you need to lose a 53! Congrats on a great purchase.

Ah, another SKS. Rarity perhaps like a G-date Mauser. I think you have more of them now than I have Mausers. Grrr.

MS

I was just looking at boomer's link on the sks boards and saw the 53 that went for $625 today. Now I have to ask... what did you pay for yours?[grin]

so did the paint get applied to these in the factory? Or was this post-refurb handiwork?

The black paint is done at the arsenal during refurbishing. Its pretty much the same type seen on Saigas and not like the finish seen on the RC K98s out there. Somewhere along the line Russia figured paint was better than bluing.

The black paint is done at the arsenal during refurbishing. Its pretty much the same type seen on Saigas and not like the finish seen on the RC K98s out there. Somewhere along the line Russia figured paint was better than bluing.

the texture does look similar to that of refurbished AKMs coming out of Izhevsk during the 80's.

You're one ahead of me in the '53 Izhevsk column, 40 cal. That is one needle that hasn't been dropped into my haystack yet!

Congrats.

Really? i now have a 53 izzy and a genuine unissued 55 letter series tula. How does a mere mortal come anywhere close to besting Martin08????? even on one gun??

Granted as far as 53 Izzy's go, she is not the best (black bolt and all). Kinda hard to say i bested Martin with a BBQ SKS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom