5.56 vs .223

I have mostly mil once fired 5.56 various headstamps. While going through my brass I noticed a small amount of .223 Rem. I know there is a differance in factory ammo, but what about the brass? I couldn't find any differance with my case guage or calipers. So, load it or toss it? I don't have enough of the .223 to justify loading seperatly.

There is no dimensional difference between cases stamped .223 Rem. and cases stamped 5.56 NATO (or equivalent).

It is usually (but not always) true that, in any given caliber, military brass is a bit thicker, and you can test for this by weighing cases. Unless you are pushing the pressure envelope, however, you can ignore the difference.

The only real difference IMO is the 5.56 brass has a crimped primer pocket and it will have to be swagged before you can seat a new primer in it.
Rusty

The only real difference IMO is the 5.56 brass has a crimped primer pocket and it will have to be swagged before you can seat a new primer in it.
Rusty

Did you see the pics? There is a major difference that will create a lot more pressure in 5.56 than .223 for sure. Weigh a case from each cal. and see for yourself what the difference is in weight alone. Why would mil brass be heavier?

I have a bunch of 5.56 loaded with minimun weight charge and they are compressed loads. The same charge in .223 case is mid shoulder.

Did you see the pics? There is a major difference that will create a lot more pressure in 5.56 than .223 for sure. Weigh a case from each cal. and see for yourself what the difference is in weight alone. Why would mil brass be heavier?

I have a bunch of 5.56 loaded with minimun weight charge and they are compressed loads. The same charge in .223 case is mid shoulder.

Thanks, I see what you mean. I experimented with my usual load of 26.5 gn of Varget. The LC was just about full, as usual. The .223 was at the sholder. The .223 is headed in the scrap bin.

Thanks, I see what you mean. I experimented with my usual load of 26.5 gn of Varget. The LC was just about full, as usual. The .223 was at the sholder. The .223 is headed in the scrap bin.

I would hang on to any brass you can since it is good to have in case of emergency. Plus, if you go GREEN then you can burn it up at a shoot or trade it.

The only difference I see from the picture is the bottom of the case is thicker. The walls look to be the same thickness and I wouldn't call it a major difference but that's just me. I load 5.56 and 223 case with the same data and have never had a problem or a compressed load and I don't load at minimum. That's just my experience.
Rusty

That picture gives you a single data point, which is an unreliable basis for drawing a generalized correlation.

Some years ago Ken Waters (the reloading guru of Handloader magazine) included a bunch of data comparing various makes of 5.56/.223 cases both by empty case weight and case water capacity. The variation amongst the commercial cases was greater than the difference between the average commercial and the average military. In all events, the difference in terms of water capacity (a surrogate for case volume) was small. I don't recall the exact values, but so long as your load has headroom (i.e., is not compressed or at the verge of being compressed), the difference was not enough to matter in the case of a typical not-quite-max load (such as, in my guns, 26.0 gr. Win 748 pushing a 55 gr. slug).

For those who insist on going right up to the line, then the rule is don't mix headstamps at all, regardless of military or commercial.

Back
Top Bottom