5.56 brass from MFLR

Fixxah

NES Member
Well, I have sized all 4k, swaged 4k, cleaned flash holes of 4k and have trimmed 40lbs. by hand with Wilson trimmer. My effin hands are blistered and I swear I am going to buy the best electric trimmer next time. After trimming I have to de-burr inside and out. Grrrrrrrr![crying]

Man this is fun. At least I didn't try it all in one session.[laugh]

You wasted your time swaging that brass, it reprimes just fine without that step.

I've done a couple of K myself and only had to touch a couple of them with a reamer giving them a twist or two.

Did you try priming some before you got into swaging?

You wasted your time swaging that brass, it reprimes just fine without that step.

I've done a couple of K myself and only had to touch a couple of them with a reamer giving them a twist or two.

Did you try priming some before you got into swaging?

Tom... Thanks for the tip... you just saved me LOTS of time!

Rich

The swaging was no big deal compared to trimming. I use the drill press and it only took a couple of hours. I didn't want to do just a few since I use progressive press and hate it when the process is stalled due to a crushed primer. Thankfully I only need to do this once.

I didn't find I had to trim either..Did you?

Using a Dillon case guage, Yes, I did find that they had to be trimmed. I trim all my bottleneck rifle cases all the time using a Dillon power trimmer. It full length resizes and trims in one stroke. That gives you consistant length and the case won't get hung up in the chamber throat.

The Giraud cannot reference case length directly (since it has no access to the case head). I'm guessing it references some point on the case shoulder to gauge case length, and while this is OK in theory, it means that the cases should be resized to whatever spec Giraud was using when it designed its tool, before trimming.

Back
Top Bottom