4th Annual John Kelly Memorial Shooting Match - Saturday, 6/29/13 - Harvard SC

CALL FOR HELP: Folks, we are running a little short on staffing for this match. If you can come to the range at about 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 29, 2013 to help setup that would be greatly appreciated. If you have experience running shooters in IDPA, USPSA or Steel Challenge we can also use your help. This year we will set up one IDPA stage; one USPSA stage; one Walls of Steel stage; and two Steel Challenge stages.

On Saturday, June 29th, 2013, the Harvard Sportsmens Club will be hosting the 4th Annual John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match in memory of our departed friend John Kelly. Mr. Kelly was an avid practical shooting participant who never had a bad word for any one discipline over another (he played them all) and was always the first one to lend a helping hand to both new and experienced shooters alike.

In memory of Mr. Kelly, we ask that all experienced shooters who attend the match go the extra mile to help out new folks either coming out to try practical shooting for the first time, or experienced shooters trying a new discipline. In the first year (2010) we had 77 shooters from the entire spectrum of experience and a good time was had by all; in the second year (2011) the participants increased to 107 shooters; in the third year (2012) we had 74 shooters.

This year will have five stages with a slightly different lineup: (1) IDPA; (2) USPSA; (3) & (4) Steel Challenge Stage, and (5) Walls of Steel Stage. All stages will be outdoors this year. We dropped the indoor-no light IDPA stage from the 2010 match. Same rules as last year, pick one gun and equipment setup and use it for all 5 stages regardless of the individual sport's equipment rules. You will have to follow each sport's rule regarding magazine capacity, so for example in the IDPA stage the maximum round capacity will be 10 per magazine. We will have 5 divisions based on USPSA: Open, Production, Single Stack, Limited and Revolver (no Limited 10 - L10 shooters will shoot with Limited shooters this year, not Production like the first year.) Dave Bold from The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford has stepped up and will do the scoring for us so that a champion, bragging rights only (no trophies), will be crowned in each division.

We are also planning on having the side-match fund raiser stage with the Texas Star, steel-clay flipping poppers using provided shotguns and 7.5 birdshot. This side-match was $10 per run if you used our shotguns and ammo or $5 per run if you used your handgun and your ammo on a modified version without the steel-clay flipping poppers. If you would like to bring your own shotgun and 7.5 birdshot you can also participate in the side-match at $5 per run. This side-stage was a hit at last year's match and helped raise a lot of funds. Joe Parks from the Metro West Tactical IDPA Group will be running the charity side match to raise funds for The Independence Fund, to raise money for wheelchairs for veterans - please refer to the PDF below for information.

This year there will be no pre-registration or T-shirts... Registration will start at 9:00 a.m. on the day of the match, shooters meeting at 9:45 a.m. and first shots at 10:00 a.m. The match fee will be $20 and 1/2 will go to GOAL and the other 1/2 to the American Heart Association.

If you have thought about trying practical shooting, this is the place to start! You will need a pistol or revolver (9mm to .45 for pistols; .38 to .45 for revolvers), a strong side belt holster, and three loading devices (magazines, speedloaders, moonclips, etc). As usual, eye and ear protection as well and 200 rounds of ammunition to be on the safe side.

My thanks to Michael Joffe and the Harvard SC Metro West Tactical IDPA Group; Donna Major from the Boston Urban Action Shooters USPSA Group; Greg Newman from the Harvard Action Shooters USPSA Group for helping us with gear; Paul Dandini and the Harvard SC Steel Challenge Group; Joe Parks from the Metro West Tactical IDPA Group for running the Texas Star side-match; Dave Bold and the Action Pistol Team at The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford for scoring; and Jim Richardson and the Wallum Lake Walls of Steel Group.

If anyone would like to staff the match just send me an email at [email protected] or send me a PM on Northeastshooters.com (NBPD3682). We look forward to seeing everyone again this year!

Regards,
John Catterall
Match Director

Attachments

• Amelia and Annalise Essay.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 29
Doh! I wish I had checked the MWT schedule earlier: I am signed up to shoot the MA classic that day. This has always been a match I've loved to help work.

Doh! I wish I had checked the MWT schedule earlier: I am signed up to shoot the MA classic that day. This has always been a match I've loved to help work.

The "5th" weekend fell in June this year... A lot of the JK Match regulars will be shooting the MA Classic that day - hence the light staffing... I'm sure everything will work out just fine...

John,

I'll be there and glad to help. But please don't make me RO the IDPA stage . . . [rofl]

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

Welcome all participants in the John Kelly Memorial Match!

This year for the side stage the proceeds are going to Independence Fund. The Independence Fund supplies tracked wheelchairs for disabled veterans. These chairs cost about $15,000.00 apiece. Now I don’t expect that we’ll be buying one but I would like to donate enough to get started on getting a deserving hero one.

I am hoping to have one at the match for the participants to see.

The stage will be a 9 round shotgun or pistol stage with a Texas star and pepper poppers with launchers for clays. The shells for the shotgun will be supplied.

You can check out their web site at www.independence-fund.org It has all the information and stories about this Track Chair.

JKM2013.png

Couple a questions:

If I'm wheelgunning this thing, how many speed loaders should I come with, minimum?

Should that prove to be not feasible, who can I borrow 2 mags for my Glock 34 from?

What happened to the PPC stage?

Thanks!

-- Dan

Couple a questions:

If I'm wheelgunning this thing, how many speed loaders should I come with, minimum?

Should that prove to be not feasible, who can I borrow 2 mags for my Glock 34 from?

What happened to the PPC stage?

Thanks!

-- Dan

Dan,
For the Steel Challenge stage you will shoot the stage (5 targets) five times.
A minimum of five - I'd recommend six speed loaders if you have them..

If you need to borrow G34 mags PM or better yet send me an email.
Paul

Dan, what kind of wheelgun are you shooting? If it is a K-frame, I can loan you a few. Send me a PM if you want to borrow them.

I'm shooting a S&W 19. I have 5 good speed loaders for the K frame. I'm far more worried about the USPSA and Wall of Steel stages... If it's a 30 rounds or less, I'm good. Otherwise, I'll have to depend on the kindness of strangers.

-- Edit --

Just hear that the stages are going to be at a max of about 30 rounds, so I should be good to go. I appreciate the offers of help, and hope to see you all there tomorrow. Call me "Last Place".[smile]

Last edited:
Lose your camera gear?

Did you lose your camera gear at the Kelly Match? If so, send me a PM describing the gear and the case, and we'll figure out a way to get it back to you.

I had a blast today at the match. It was great to try the other games. I liked all of them, so I'm going to have to figure out how I can fit time for them along with shooting rifle! There aren't enough weekends!!! Thank you to all who were running the different stages, and thanks to John for running the show! What a good time and a great cause.

David

Thanks to all the shooters and staff who participated in today's match - many of the staff either didn't shoot at all or only shot a couple of stages... overall we had a little over 50 shooters this year. It looks like we made just over $1,000 in the match fees and the side match to benefit The Independence Fund is going to raise a little over $800 - we still have to find out how much our ammo supplier is going to charge us for the ammo we used.

Stay tuned to this thread - results will be posted here in a couple of days once our scorekeeper comes home and has a chance to put them up.

Regards,
John

Pics and videos!!

Thanks to all who work and put this event on! Its great to see the support from the community and I hope all new folks enjoy it as much as the guys who put it on do!!!

Dori and I could not make the whole match. We wanted to stay but could not. Went down for the Walls of Steel and the side stage.. Totally worth it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome match. I could do that set of stages every month.
Wish I gotten the video of the shotgun side match but only one thing seems to work at a time the gun or the camera. Both operator issues :) I did manage to get me running it with the pistol.
[video=youtube_share;1o-WbSf3kqk]http://youtu.be/1o-WbSf3kqk[/video]

My son and I had a great time! It was our first time doing anything like this. Somehow we walked away with our score sheets but that's ok, this was about having fun and learning.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to educate us as we went along, it was greatly appreciated!

That was one of the most fun matches...Thank you everyone. Here is a video of most of the stages
[video=youtube_share;XFfgyw0YKv4]http://youtu.be/XFfgyw0YKv4[/video]

I would have loved to go to the event, but my bathroom decided to I should stay home and fix the broken pipe that flooded my basement and ruined my bathroom instead... Oh well, there is always next year.

Thanks for a great match. The whole family had a blast!!! Thanks for allowing my boys to participate.

The Criss crew

lost camera case

Did you lose your camera gear at the Kelly Match? If so, send me a PM describing the gear and the case, and we'll figure out a way to get it back to you.

I am not sure if this went through the first time. Thank you for posting, I lost a silver case with Go Pro Gear. I will be at the Cerf match.
Thank you, Duncan

I am not sure if this went through the first time. Thank you for posting, I lost a silver case with Go Pro Gear. I will be at the Cerf match.
Thank you, Duncan

Duncan, this is the first communication I received from you, so thanks for resending. I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to find the owner.

I do have your case with the Go Pro gear. I sent you PM letting you know how to contact me.

M1911

Back
Top Bottom