.45ACP Reloads

Manual says 732 fps for a 230 FMJ at 4.0 grains. Do a search at the forums on
Brianenos.com for some real world results.

Thanks, I am a frequent flyer there[smile]

Only results I can rely on have to come from a revolver. They loose a little because of the cylinder gap. When I get a chance to buy some Clays I will try it and chrono some loads.

Thanks again,

Thanks, I am a frequent flyer there[smile]

Only results I can rely on have to come from a revolver. They loose a little because of the cylinder gap. When I get a chance to buy some Clays I will try it and chrono some loads.

Thanks again,

If I remember, I bring some clays to the match, I got some extra that I haven't been using

+1

With my new S&W 1911 here, I'm also tooling up, so this is a very timely thread.

My question concerns powders. Has anyone had any experience with Bullseye in .45? I've come to use it in both .40 S&W and 38 Special with good results. The Lyman manual shows several "Most Accurate" loadings at several bullet weights using Bullseye. To simplify the logistics of powder buying and management, a single powder for all three would be great.
2.7g of b.eye w/ 148g. wc's in the 38 spcl. & 3.5g. w/ 200g. semi wc's in the 45 acp has been the std. accuracy bullseye load forever.
Win. 231 has taken over, because it is cleaner burning.
These are target loads.

I'm just old fashioned. I read too much Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith.

My two favorite powders are Unique and 2400. Keith developed the .44Mag load with 2400, and Skeeter liked the Unique in his .357's

The Unigue is very versatile in a 38/357 revolver, and I have used loads from 4.5 grains to over 11 grains pushing 158 grain Carrol semi-wadcutters, and several 158 and 125 grain jacketed hollow points.

My .45 Reloads

I cast all of my bullets from straight wheelweights using Lee 6-cavity molds.

H&G68 205gr SWC, 4.5-5.0 gr Hodgdon TiteGroup, WLP primers. A nice practice load - 850-900 fps.

235gr LTC, 5.0 gr WSL, WLP primers. 850 fps

235gr LTC, 6.5 gr WSF, WLP primers. 900 fps - good for pins on steel tables.

254gr SWC, 4.8 gr HTG, WLP primers. 850 fps - my standard pin load for pins on wood tables.

254gr SWC, 5.6 gr WSF, WLP primers. 860 fps - a little extra propellant for my comp gun.

Compilation of contributions

NESShooterLoads1.jpg

I didn't put otasan's on there as I was not sure that anyone could buy these
bullets. If these are commercially available let me know and I will update this
list. If anyone on the list wants to fill in some blanks let me know and I will
update as well.

TBP

TBP,
Charts like that usually have barrel lengths or gun configurations on them as well as some chrono readings or at least notes as to what the rounds were built for. Getting that info is what gives the data real value as a guide of what to try.

I just loaded a 1000 45's with Winchester large primers, W231 5.3 grs with the 1000 Hornady .451 230 GR HP/XTP's, I got for free with my press.

The W231 is a great powder to use because it meters so well.

TBP,
Charts like that usually have barrel lengths or gun configurations on them as well as some chrono readings or at least notes as to what the rounds were built for. Getting that info is what gives the data real value as a guide of what to try.

I didn't intend this to be anything more than listing the responses to this thread.
If anyone wanted to supply additional info for these loadings I would be more than
happy to add it to the spreadsheet. BTW, I have this in an Excel spreadsheet
so if anyone wants this PM me with your email address and I will send it to
you.

TBP

I've been using 4.25gns of Bullseye under 230grn LRN with CCI primers. It makes a mess (is it me, or is the bullseye residue actually greasy?). Don't have a chrony and power factor is not important to me.

Great thread, as I'm looking to change my load and am looking for something cleaner.

I've put TiteGroup and Clays on the Big List, and will try each in turn this year with the three pistol calibers I shoot. Thanks.

Please consider refraining from using straight-up Clays in .40, if that's one of your calibers....its not recommended per the Hodgdon manual.

UNIVERSAL Clays is supposedly OK for .40 (per Hodgdon).

For .45, I have been using 4.2 grains of Clays (straight) pushing a 230 grn TMC, FMJ, etc (all coppered) at an OAL of 1.265 ( I think- it's just a TAD shorter than a factory) and Federal primers in both my 5" SW 625 revo and my 5" SW 745 IPSC, as well as my brother's SW 1911 5".

Shoots really, really soft, and will make IPSC major all day (not very temperature sensitive). A little smoky, but VERY easy to clean, wipes right off with minimal solvent.

Clays is also quite voluminous- if you double charge it, you'll know because the powder will be at or over the top of the casemouth. Very easy to look in and see that you actually HAVE powder in there, too....

Don't forget to start low and work your way up....but this goes right around 750-775 fps. in my revolver, a little faster in the semis.

Back
Top Bottom