45 HPs that are shaped as ball

Anyone have any experience with either of these rounds? Given how much a PITA it will be to get these here, I would rather see if anyone has any experience with either of these. And no, they don't ship to MA.
http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Guns and Ammo&Category=AMMO_DHAND&Prod=FC-45EX1
http://www.dakotaammo.net/Glaser-PowRBall/45-Auto-165gr-PowRBall/PB45165-20/600/Product

Or suggest other rounds that will feed in older 1911s. I don't want to muck with ramps, etc. I have my reasons.

Last edited:
Well, that's good to know about the Federal. I am always looking for .45 ACP that has good stopping power, but reduces the risk of collateral damage.

I bought the 124 +P 9mm at the local guy maybe a year or so ago.A box and half fed just fine thru the mighty Highpower. Accuracy was as good as I can I shoot.I dont recall the price,but it wasnt exorbitant.

Get Remington golden sabres. If the gun isn't reliable enough to run a GS230, then I wouldn't carry it for self defense, ever. The 230 gr GS load is my litmus test for .45 ACP handguns. If your gun doesn't eat it, it's broken. [laugh]

-Mike

Used to shoot Remington R45AP2 in my Star PD without any feed issues.
It has a mild ogive. It wasn't cheap to buy. Had FS order it for me.
GC

.45 ACP (occassionally called "11.43x23mm" by some silly Europeans)
The .45 ACP is a recognized manstopper, and there are many
excellent loads in this caliber. Some of the best:
- Federal 230 grain Hydrashok JHP (P45HS1): a great load, and my #1
choice. It gives the most stopping power in this potent caliber.
- Federal 185 grain JHP (45C) another top-notch load from Federal. I
would choose this round for a compact, short-barrelled .45 like the Colt
Officer's ACP or the S&W 4516. It has lighter recoil than the Hydrashok
or CCI 200 JHP, and its higher velocity makes it more likely to expand
out of a short 3.5" barrel.
- Cor-Bon 185 grain Sierra JHP
- CCI Lawman 200 gr. JHP (3965). a.k.a. the "Inspector" or "Flying Ashtray."
- CCI Blazer 200 gr. JHP (3568). The "Flying Ashtray" in an economical
aluminum case.
Both of these CCI loads use a wide-mouth hollowpoint bullet that
may jam some guns. It is 100% reliable in newer guns like the current
production "enhanced" Colt 1911A1, the SIG/Sauer P220, Star M45 Firestar
and Megastar, and all Smith & Wesson, Para-Ordnance, and Ruger .45
automatics and the Smith & Wesson Model 625 revolver. (Note well: if you
are one of those knuckleheads who install light springs in your gun to
get a lighter trigger pull you are asking for trouble. Never use CCI ammo
in such a gun, as CCI uses especially hard primers and your hammer might
not be able to detonate the round reliably, now that you have monkeyed
with it.)

- Remington 185 grain JHP (R45AP2)
This is the best choice for older guns that may jam with other
hollow-points. I would select this load for the Heckler and Koch P9S,
Browning BDA, Springfield Armory, AMT and Thompson M1911A1, Llama, Star
PD, etc.

SNIP

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/VG1.html

I've seen them locally at Northeast Trading in North Attleboro. They seem interesting but I haven't personally bought/shot any myself.

I love this line:

"It’s the perfect choice for reliable expansion and penetration—not to mention for agencies that don’t permit hollow point ammunition."

If I was employed by such an agency I would find another job PDQ. Don't allow HPs? GMAFB.

I use Hornady 45 Auto +P 230GR XTP for a carry load. They work in all my 45's. The only draw back with them is their not cheap at a dollar each. I've fired a little over a 100 of them and they are a great carry round with no real noticeabile difference in recoil from a regular round.

At the muzzle 950
50yards 908
100yards 872

I love this line:

"It’s the perfect choice for reliable expansion and penetration—not to mention for agencies that don’t permit hollow point ammunition."

If I was employed by such an agency I would find another job PDQ. Don't allow HPs? GMAFB.

I think there's at least one major police department that's behind the times on this one.

Also, off-duty LEOs in NJ are prohibited from carrying hollowpoints. State cops have busted off-duty Feds on this one.

I love this line:

Could this replace FMJ for military use?

When I was first testing defensive rounds, I've shot a bunch of PowR'Ball through my XD and my 1911s. They were great for one of my 1911s that sometimes had trouble feeding JHP and other non-ball ammo.

I ended up going with another ammo, just because the PowR'Ball was hard to find, and I sold the gun with the feeding problems. I think I still have a box left - PM me if you want it.

-TD

When I was first testing defensive rounds, I've shot a bunch of PowR'Ball through my XD and my 1911s. They were great for one of my 1911s that sometimes had trouble feeding JHP and other non-ball ammo.

I ended up going with another ammo, just because the PowR'Ball was hard to find, and I sold the gun with the feeding problems. I think I still have a box left - PM me if you want it.

-TD

PM sent. I have only found a light 165 gr version of that. Is there a heavier version? Did the lighter weight have any issues terminus side in your testing.

Back
Top Bottom