.45 Colt Question...

GML

NES Member
I've got a revolver that shoots .45 Colt. I am planning on getting a lever action rifle in the same caliber. I was wondering if anyone has any experience hunting deer with .45 Colt? Want to make sure it is effective, as it would be the main purpose of the rifle. Thoughts?

I've got a revolver that shoots .45 Colt. I am planning on getting a lever action rifle in the same caliber. I was wondering if anyone has any experience hunting deer with .45 Colt? Want to make sure it is effective, as it would be the main purpose of the rifle. Thoughts?
I have a cousin that has taken a few deer and a bear with a Henry 45 lever action. He's had no issues but he reloads his own hunting specific ammo.

I don’t think you will have issues.
Check out the castboolits forum. Tons of guys over there hunting from mild revolver loads to wild hot loads.
You have bullet weight on your side and a 255 or heavier at nominal velocity will drill through a deer no issue. Add some speed in the rifle to take out some heavier game or load it down to noise fart energy to pop small game.
Very versatile.

I don’t think you will have issues.
Check out the castboolits forum. Tons of guys over there hunting from mild revolver loads to wild hot loads.
You have bullet weight on your side and a 255 or heavier at nominal velocity will drill through a deer no issue. Add some speed in the rifle to take out some heavier game or load it down to noise fart energy to pop small game.
Very versatile.
I think the point we are making is 45 Colt is a viable option for deer.....but you should have the ability reload your own to get the most out of it.

I think the point we are making is 45 Colt is a viable option for deer.....but you should have the ability reload your own to get the most out of it.
Yep. Even with factory ammo you can effectively hunt anything in this neck of the woods.

Depending on the lever gun (NOT a 73), you can get some pretty hefty loads from places like Corbon that'll take out a deer, man, bear, wooly mammoth at nominal Northeast distances. You can use lead or jacketed. I've seen both. Buffalo Bore makes a Deer Grenade load. ROFL!!

I'd get a Marlin just b/c I've got a soft spot for Marlins right now. I don't HAVE one. I WANT one but have yet to pull that trigger. (Considering a 45-70 - just because.)

Depending on the lever gun (NOT a 73), you can get some pretty hefty loads from places like Corbon that'll take out a deer, man, bear, wooly mammoth at nominal Northeast distances. You can use lead or jacketed. I've seen both. Buffalo Bore makes a Deer Grenade load. ROFL!!

I'd get a Marlin just b/c I've got a soft spot for Marlins right now. I don't HAVE one. I WANT one but have yet to pull that trigger. (Considering a 45-70 - just because.)
I would check the owners manual on the repro ‘73
They are made in 357 mag and 44 mag now and handle the hot loads with no issues. The new steel and tight fit can do a lot for the strength of the design.
I could have sworn I saw a pic of the Owners manual with a CUP rating for the 73s the same way Pedersoli does with the Sharps rifles and such.

Damn. A 73 is, like, the WORST action in the world. You're better off putting a thumbtack on your thumb and pushing it into the primer as your thumb covers the breech than use a 73. That toggle is great for speed on a SASS stage.

Plus the action is pretty fragile anyhow. Too many working parts just jangling around in there. I'd take a Marlin or a Winchester every day for hunting.

Damn. A 73 is, like, the WORST action in the world. You're better off putting a thumbtack on your thumb and pushing it into the primer as your thumb covers the breech than use a 73. That toggle is great for speed on a SASS stage.

Plus the action is pretty fragile anyhow. Too many working parts just jangling around in there. I'd take a Marlin or a Winchester every day for hunting.
Not sure if serious. 🤔

About what? The 73 in 73 was a great action. But it's a BP cartridge action. It's got 2 hinges holding that bolt into the chamber. I'm not worried about the chamber bulging. I'm concerned of damage potentially to the action.

The 92 was a much better design with the 2 locking blocks coming up to hold the bolt in place. The 94 from both Marlin and Winnie was even better.

My concern isn't modern loaded 45's. My concern would be some guy throwing a Corbon 300gr cartridge (or any Corbon load, for that matter) in there that'll run about 1300fps out of a 7.5" bbl. I sadly couldn't find SAAMI specs on it but I suspect it's a little higher (lol) than even Winchester reco's for their new model 73's. (Which is SAAMI max of 14000psi.)

About what? The 73 in 73 was a great action. But it's a BP cartridge action. It's got 2 hinges holding that bolt into the chamber. I'm not worried about the chamber bulging. I'm concerned of damage potentially to the action.

The 92 was a much better design with the 2 locking blocks coming up to hold the bolt in place. The 94 from both Marlin and Winnie was even better.

My concern isn't modern loaded 45's. My concern would be some guy throwing a Corbon 300gr cartridge (or any Corbon load, for that matter) in there that'll run about 1300fps out of a 7.5" bbl. I sadly couldn't find SAAMI specs on it but I suspect it's a little higher (lol) than even Winchester reco's for their new model 73's. (Which is SAAMI max of 14000psi.)
Yes the 92 and the Marlin 94 will outlast it. Much better actions.

However I think the modern 73s don’t get enough credit. Italians don’t mess around with firearms. They build solid stuff. They wouldn’t build a gun that can’t handle a lifetime of factory loads. The 73 being made in both 357 mag and 44 mag there is no reason a +P 45 Colt (usually based off the +p pressure rating for the 45 ACP which is 23k psi due to the use of swap cylinder revolvers.

Saying a modern Winchester 73 is a black powder action is like saying a modern Colt 1873 is a black powder action and can’t handle anything but black powder loads.

Modern steel and tolerances make all the difference.

That being said there isn’t anything around here that a well placed Standard pressure 45 Colt won’t drop.
I wouldn’t hit rod 320 grain 45 Colt bullets with H110 in a 73 but I have put so many 357s through mine with no issues and have yet to read a review about a 44 mag falling apart after a hunting season.

They are noice.
CDD5D766-2BC5-49D0-AD42-CE5A1DA62499.jpeg

I had some 250 grain XTP reloads made with H110 that were fairly hot and in the 44 mag speed and energy category.
They would drop a deer like it was hit ever the head with wrecking ball.

I would not shoot them thru a 73 action or a single action army.

I would use brand new Starline brass or very good brass. 45 Colt brass is thin and not your magnum type brass.

They shot fine out of my Henry.

Ive never hunted deer wth a 45 colt but i caught a coyote in the face with a slug from my S&W mountian magnum . That 45 colt does some massive damage that poor yote was unrecognizable when it was all over . I think it was a 225 cast lead bullet if i remember right . It would be no problem for deer.

Back
Top Bottom