• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duck hunting excursion question

hillman

NES Member
My wife has recently become interested in duck hunting, specifically she wants to eat lots of ducks and the thought of shooting them herself doesn't bother her nearly as much as the cost of buying them. Anyway, I'm happy to encourage this, but I've never hunted ducks, I don't own any shotguns appropriate for this (mine are HD Mossberg 500 and 590a1), so I have a couple of questions.

What's a good shotgun for her to get started, semi-auto, pump, or double/single shot? She's fired our 12 gauge pumps before with no problems.

She's primarily interested in duck and goose hunting, but might want something she could later also use for turkeys.

Is there a class (other than hunter's safety class) that would help her get started in this?

She would be interested in her first "hunt" maybe being in a guided excursion sort of environment, does anyone here know of a good outfit that would be good for that, somewhere in NE? We spend a lot of time in VT and ME, so really anywhere in New England would work for her.

Thanks.

I spend more days a year duck hunting than any other animal, she’s made a good choice. I use a browning semi auto shotgun, mine is a black polymer model. No gun takes a beating like a duck gun, don’t buy anything you’re not willing to see get beat up. It’s going to go underwater, hammered by salt water and tossed about in the duck boat.

I specifically bought a 12 gauge that can take 3.5 inch shells for goose. I had used a 10 gauge browning pump for goose for years but there’s fewer and fewer 10 gauge guys around and harder to just stop at the gas station to buy shells. I usually load two three inch shells and the the last being 3.5.

Access to hunt ducks is usually easier since you have so much open waterways and gov land. Spend the summer and fall scouting locations and for the love don’t set up 40 feet from another blind.

Guided hunts are probably a good way to start. You will see how decs go out, decoys are not needed btw, I probably only take 40% of my ducks over decoys. You can learn the calls on you tube, even a bad caller can call pretty effectively.

Know you rules. Migratory birds are controlled by the feds. You don’t want to f*** with limits and rules.

Get a good retriever or you’ll be doing it for your wife.

There's a few things you want to keep in mind:

(1) You're almost always going to need to use nontoxic shot because of state and Federal regulations. There's two main options for nontoxic shot - steel or bismuth. Steel shot more or less can only safely be fired through modern guns - check the gun's manual or the company's website to confirm. In all other instances, use bismuth.

(2) Choke: generally speaking, you want a tighter choke for waterfowl, between Modified and Extra Full. Either get a gun with a tight fixed choke or interchangeable choke tubes.

(3) With 12-gauge, you're going to want to want a gun capable of shooting 3" and 3.5" shells. You could probably also use a 16 or 20 gauge for ducks, but that'd be more of a specialized duck gun rather than a versatile gun for both ducks and geese, and potentially turkeys.

(4) You're again almost always going to be limited to a 3-shot cap by state and Federal regulations.

Each style of gun has pros and cons. Pumps are inexpensive but have more recoil and the potential for short stroking. Semi-autos are usually pretty reliable and sometimes do a great job of mitigating recoil but don't usually handle as well as a double gun. Side-by-sides are either ancient and inexpensive and require a lot of work or are highly expensive, but have that cool old timey vibe and handle well. Over/unders are usually more modern and handle well also.

How much are you trying to spend? You can get a wide variety of awesome new pumps or semi-autos for under $2000. Double guns cost more for something great, if you're buying new.

If I was going to buy a duck and goose gun tomorrow, I would get a 12-gauge O/U with interchangeable chokes proofed for steel from a company like Beretta, Browning, or Blaser. But that's just me and I just shoot double guns better than pumps or semi-autos.

There's a few things you want to keep in mind:

(1) You're almost always going to need to use nontoxic shot because of state and Federal regulations. There's two main options for nontoxic shot - steel or bismuth. Steel shot more or less can only safely be fired through modern guns - check the gun's manual or the company's website to confirm. In all other instances, use bismuth.

(2) Choke: generally speaking, you want a tighter choke for waterfowl, between Modified and Extra Full. Either get a gun with a tight fixed choke or interchangeable choke tubes.

(3) With 12-gauge, you're going to want to want a gun capable of shooting 3" and 3.5" shells. You could probably also use a 16 or 20 gauge for ducks, but that'd be more of a specialized duck gun rather than a versatile gun for both ducks and geese, and potentially turkeys.

(4) You're again almost always going to be limited to a 3-shot cap by state and Federal regulations.

Each style of gun has pros and cons. Pumps are inexpensive but have more recoil and the potential for short stroking. Semi-autos are usually pretty reliable and sometimes do a great job of mitigating recoil but don't usually handle as well as a double gun. Side-by-sides are either ancient and inexpensive and require a lot of work or are highly expensive, but have that cool old timey vibe and handle well. Over/unders are usually more modern and handle well also.

How much are you trying to spend? You can get a wide variety of awesome new pumps or semi-autos for under $2000. Double guns cost more for something great, if you're buying new.

If I was going to buy a duck and goose gun tomorrow, I would get a 12-gauge O/U with interchangeable chokes proofed for steel from a company like Beretta, Browning, or Blaser. But that's just me and I just shoot double guns better than pumps or semi-autos.
I fired a 3.5 inch out of my Browning Cynergy O/U exactly once.

I fired a 3.5 inch out of my Browning Cynergy O/U exactly once.

Right lol, if shooting a lot of 3.5" shells... different story. Depends on whether his wife is mostly going for ducks or geese or turkey - 28-gauges can drop ducks, but definitely aren't goose or turkey guns.

My favorite duck gun is Benelie semi. that takes 3 and 3 1/2 shells. That said I usually take an over / under in 12 gauge for I rarely ever hit anything with third shot. Your best choice is a gun that fits you and u can shoot well

My gun stays in a camo padded floating gun case until I’m set in blind and ready to shoot.

please keep in mind that not all ducks are equal in palatibility. Some diving ducks are not edible in my opinion

No reason you can't make the shotguns you have work.. No need for a dedicated gun unless you want it. Why don't you try it first before dropping the loot? I know the wife seems into the idea right now, but after freezing your ass off in January in a duck blind near open water when the weather is foul, that may change quick.

IMHO, better to find that out before dropping over 1K on a waterfowl shotgun. That said, the Browning Maxus, Winchester SX3 or Benelli Super Black Eagle are all good choices. None of them are cheap.

There are some female specific gun options out there, one that comes to mind is the Franchi Affinity. WIth bismuth loads a 20 is plenty of gun for most situations and should be a little easier to handle. One thing to keep in mind is that market duck and wild duck are way different in terms of taste and texture and not all wild ducks are good eating. As far as guides go, most guides in this area focus on sea ducks (bottom of the barrel eating wise) as that is what people travel here for and there are a lot of guides that don't like taking locals. If you go the guide route just make sure you're going out for puddle ducks.

There are some female specific gun options out there, one that comes to mind is the Franchi Affinity. WIth bismuth loads a 20 is plenty of gun for most situations and should be a little easier to handle. One thing to keep in mind is that market duck and wild duck are way different in terms of taste and texture and not all wild ducks are good eating. As far as guides go, most guides in this area focus on sea ducks (bottom of the barrel eating wise) as that is what people travel here for and there are a lot of guides that don't like taking locals. If you go the guide route just make sure you're going out for puddle ducks.
Thanks, I don't think, after reading everything I've been reading for the last couple days, that we are not interested in hunting sea ducks.

Last edited:
No reason you can't make the shotguns you have work.. No need for a dedicated gun unless you want it. Why don't you try it first before dropping the loot? I know the wife seems into the idea right now, but after freezing your ass off in January in a duck blind near open water when the weather is foul, that may change quick.

IMHO, better to find that out before dropping over 1K on a waterfowl shotgun. That said, the Browning Maxus, Winchester SX3 or Benelli Super Black Eagle are all good choices. None of them are cheap.
But I WANT new guns! And she's literally saying "Hey, buy new guns." I have been looking at the SXP as an option, found a few for a decent price, haven't seen any Benelli's in stock anywhere though.

But I WANT new guns! And she's literally saying "Hey, buy new guns." I have been looking at the SXP as an option, found a few for a decent price, haven't seen any Benelli's in stock anywhere though.

How much are you trying to spend?

I have been looking at the Weatherby sa 08 compact 20ga for my girlfriend. You can find them locally for under $600.00.

Guide and preserve hunts.

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't think, after reading everything I've been reading for the last couple days, that we are interested in hunting sea ducks.
It’s a lot of fun, you can shoot all day long, I liken it to prairie dogs. If you have an ethical problem it’s not for you, they are so bad they are basically inedible. Most often they are left for the seals to eat.

Last edited:
It’s a lot of fun, you can shoot all day long, I liken it to prairie dogs. If you have an ethical problem it’s not for you, they are so bad they are basically inedible. Most often they are left for the seals to eat.
I meant to say not interested in sea ducks, sorry.

I would just pick up another mossberg 500, or if your 500 has a regular stock set on it, just put a regular barrel on one of yours and let her try it out with that. High brass waterfowl loads are a bit much in the recoil department for most unexperienced females I would think. A 20ga pump would be fine too with the right shells and some decent marksmanship, but right now 12ga is much easier to find.

If you guys can get some practice on the sporting clays or skeet/trap range that will help.
Wing shooting is a whole different ball game and takes some practice to figure out, most people are not gonna be able to just go out and buy a shotgun and start immediately getting good hits on ducks without spending some time on the clays/trap range first. Also, unless you have experience with decoys and calling, or are hunting with someone that does, expect to be having to take longer shots.

I wouldn't dump a ton of money into it unless it's something you both really want to do as a hobby and are going to commit to it, duck and goose hunting isn't exactly a walk in the park, it's cold, it's wet, and somewhat difficult, unless she really has her mind set on it, it probably won't become much of a thing long term. Wild duck is not the same as farm raised duck, and also keep in mind there is more gear needed than just a gun, good clothing and peripherals will add up fast as well. It certainly won't be cheaper or easier than just buying ducks from the store, butcher shop, or farm.

I don't waterfowl hunt that much anymore, I did a lot when I was a teenager and I had a lot of time on my hands. I only really pheasant hunt now, but even in that I probably have $5,000 into it for a couple of good shotguns and all of my gear and ammo for it, not even counting the cost of buying, training, raising, and taking care of a dog. I do it more because I enjoy it as a hobby, I enjoy the outdoors, and I enjoy working with my dog out in the field and want to keep the tradition alive. I don't do it because I need to fill the freezer, getting a few birds to eat is just a bonus, and only if you don't break a tooth because you missed a piece of shot when you cleaned the birds lol dental work ain't cheap. If I was meat hunting I would be more dedicated to filling my deer tags for sure.

Not trying to discourage you guys, I'd love to see some more people out hunting, but I've seen a lot of people spend big bucks on stuff because they wanted to "try" hunting and then once they realize how difficult of a sport it is, they give up pretty quick. This is why hunting tends to be such a generational/traditional thing, unless you grow up doing it, it is kind of hard to get into. The more people that can pass it on the better though so good luck.

IMHO, of the listed, the Browning is what I would want anyway. I kind of shy away from inertia systems like the Benelli in lieu of gas like the Browning. Less recoil..
Also, if you get a gun chambered for 3 1/2" shells, it will have issues cycling short brass 2 3/4" shells. I don't care who makes it.. If you get a gun chambered for 3", that problem goes away, but you obviously lost the 3.5" capability.

There was one gun that I think cycled everything reliably which was the Remington VersaMax. But since their bankruptcy - good luck getting one of those.

IMHO, of the listed, the Browning is what I would want anyway. I kind of shy away from inertia systems like the Benelli in lieu of gas like the Browning. Less recoil..
Also, if you get a gun chambered for 3 1/2" shells, it will have issues cycling short brass 2 3/4" shells. I don't care who makes it.. If you get a gun chambered for 3", that problem goes away, but you obviously lost the 3.5" capability.

There was one gun that I think cycled everything reliably which was the Remington VersaMax. But since their bankruptcy - good luck getting one of those.
Yeah, I've looked for a VersaMax, haven't found anything yet, but I'd love one.

Lots of good advice here.
Also, check out Ducks Unlimited. Find your local chapter, maybe attend an event and get to know someone or a few people. Maybe you can get out with a DU member or at least get some good local advice.
Also, learn your waterfowl ID.
For one thing to watch limits (Hen Mallards vs Black ducks) and also picking your shots to take the species you do want to eat and not end up with a merg or some other diver in your bag.

Good resource here, actually the whole site too.

I had jerky made from eider recently. Surprisingly tolerable

I had heard this elsewhere. Fascinating. Too bad. They look like fun to shoot.

I think it would be a hoot to get involved in as well. Just seems like a lot of work for a little time on the water. I know a few places I could go. I've gone a couple of times but it seemed like a lot of prep. Boat, decoys, guns, etc., Then back, clean the gun, put away the gear, yada yada. I need a duck buddy. :)

I had heard this elsewhere. Fascinating. Too bad. They look like fun to shoot.

I think it would be a hoot to get involved in as well. Just seems like a lot of work for a little time on the water. I know a few places I could go. I've gone a couple of times but it seemed like a lot of prep. Boat, decoys, guns, etc., Then back, clean the gun, put away the gear, yada yada. I need a duck buddy. :)
I have a sneak boat for duck hunting on rivers, that’s a fun way to get into ducks. You could buy a sneak boat cheap or use a canoe or even a kayak. My a**h*** brother has a nice center console whaler, I tolerate him a few times a year to go sea duck hunting.

Forget 3.5 capabilities. Shells are alot more expensive and slinging more pellets down isn't going to get more birds if you shoot behind them. 3" mag shells are all you need and alot of practice.

Go with a semi for quick followup and recoil reduction. Remmy 1187 or 1100 is my go to as they are reliable, parts are widely and readily available, easy to work on and you won't kick yourself too bad if it gets dinged or dunked.

How much are you looking to spend? You have pretty good quality Turkish guns like Tristar for $450, all the way up to $1000+ for Benelli. Don’t waste cash on a 3.5 chambered shotgun, the pellet count vs recoil ration isn’t worth it. Take the cash saved and put it towards good non-toxic shot shells. I shoot bismuth Boss 2 3/4 #4 out of my shotgun and hammer tough diving ducks. Gas operated autos shoot softer than inertia driven guns, that’s something to consider. You can go cheap on a dozen mallard decoys and use Texas rigs. Hell of a lot easier to use than trying to untangle regular rigs in the in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom