• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ice fishing question…

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
I’ve only ice fished a few times as a youth. Besides traps and a sled what is the necessary equipment to go?

Fire, bait, traps, license, auger, hand axe, knife, grille/grate for cooking fish, beer, good safe lake with fish.
Ps, if you fishing at Norton res you can skip cooking fish! Although I did pull a 6 pounder from there in 1985 ;)

Any recommendations on an auger, which features to look for and/or things to keep in mind while shopping for one?
(Northern NE... VT)

Edit: There are manual, gas, and lithium battery models. Seems batteries and cold don't mix well. However, lithium may be different.

You can go small or go big. I treat ice fishing like tailgating on the ice......catching fish is just a side show. Venison sausage sandwiches is the usual lunch. Portable fire pit. We go big.

But you don't have to go big. I started 25 years ago with a hand auger, 5 tipups, a 5 gallon bucket (for bait and a seat to sit on), a thermos of coffee and a p and j sandwich. Caught a shit ton of fish back then.

20220116_111319.jpg 20220116_115115.jpg 20220116_115740.jpg

Last edited:
Any recommendations on an auger, which features to look for and/or things to keep in mind while shopping for one?
(Northern NE... VT)

Edit: There are manual, gas, and lithium battery models. Seems batteries and cold don't mix well. However, lithium may be different.
I have an Eskimo brand gas auger. Had it for 5 years now. I use true fuel pre mix gas and it runs perfect. In fact.....I used it last weekend and it still had the tank of gas in it from Feb 2021 in it. Started on the 2nd pull. My point is if you go with a gas unit spend the money on true fuel pre mix. It pays off.

Now.....gas vs electric vs propane.

Propane.....f*** that......in single digit Temps the cans freeze up and your screwed.....I've loaned my gas auger to many guys up north that had propane units not work when it's cold.

Gas units.....heavy.....but they run if you do like I said and use true fuel and maintain them.

Electric......my brother got one last year and it's the balls. Light.....cuts fast.....and he's had no issues when it's cold out. Price on some is the same or mire than gas power.

Manual......light but you get a workout. I have a nils brand hand auger that cuts super fast.....head and shoulders above any of the cheap hand augers because the head is curved and the handles are off set like an old wood drill. If your on a budget a nils hand auger will do you just fine.

Last edited:
minimal ( my preferred) is a jig stick, bag, some tackle, pliers, and an ice chisel but that is reserved for ice fishing trips....

sled, tip ups, auger, chairs, grill, jigs, food is reserved for those ice drinking trips...

I have an Eskimo brand gas auger. Had it for 5 years now. I use true fuel pre mix gas and it runs perfect. In fact.....I used it last weekend and it still had the tank of gas in it from Feb 2021 in it. Started on the 2nd pull. My point is if you go with a gas unit spend the money on true fuel pre mix. It pays off.

Now.....gas vs electric vs propane.

Propane.....f*** that......in single digit Temps the cans freeze up and your screwed.....I've loaned my gas auger to many guys up north that had propane units not work when it's cold.

Gas units.....heavy.....but they run if you do like I said and use true fuel and maintain them.

Electric......my brother got one last year and it's the balls. Light.....cuts fast.....and he's had no issues when it's cold out. Price on some is the same or mire than gas power.

Manual......light but you get a workout. I have a nils brand hand auger that cuts super fast.....head and shoulders above any of the cheap hand augers because the head is curved and the handles are off set like an old wood drill. If your on a budget a nils hand auger will do you just fine.
also have a Nils (11 years) and a drill adapter for it. sold my gas augers after the first time i used it. we managed 22 holes off one makita 18v in 24" of ice ( secret is keeping batteries warm). if 12 " or less, i just use the hand drill for it. if 8" or less i just use the chisel

also have a Nils (11 years) and a drill adapter for it. sold my gas augers after the first time i used it. we managed 22 holes off one makita 18v in 24" of ice ( secret is keeping batteries warm). if 12 " or less, i just use the hand drill for it. if 8" or less i just use the chisel
I live my nils. Only problem is they don't take much abuse on the cutting edge. Have to be careful with them. Don't tap it down on the ice just set if gently then start cutting. Had to buy a new head for mine about 7 years ago. My brother borrowed it and let his kids cut the holes and they were tapping it on the ice and bent the blades.......just treat them gently and they last a lifetime.

You can go small or go big. I treat ice fishing like tailgating on the ice......catching fish is just a side show. Venison sausage sandwiches is the usual lunch. Portable fire pit. We go big.

But you don't have to go big. I started 25 years ago with a hand auger, 5 tipups, a 5 gallon bucket (for bait and a seat to sit on), a thermos of coffee and a p and j sandwich. Caught a shit ton of fish back then.

View attachment 565962
I cant tell what Im looking at here. Is that fire and what is it on?

If you use live bait, get it locally so there is no issue of introducing non-native invasive species or diseases.
I buy mine from Merrimac bait and tackle.....he gets em from Arkansas. Not sure what u mean by "get it local"

I buy mine from Merrimac bait and tackle.....he gets em from Arkansas. Not sure what u mean by "get it local"

Not good enough . . . get your minnows and shiners from a local fishing/bait shop located near whatever body of water you are fishing, that is supplied by a local old timer who harvests them from local waters. If you get them from Arkansas, you may as well be using Asian carp or snakeheads from China.

Not good enough . . . get your minnows and shiners from a local fishing/bait shop located near whatever body of water you are fishing, that is supplied by a local old timer who harvests them from local waters. If you get them from Arkansas, you may as well be using Asian carp or snakeheads from China.
Until f and g makes it illegal I'll keep buying my shiners from wherever I want.

Back
Top Bottom