• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

44 MAG reloading for a revolver

For light to medium loads, .44 Special cases and Unique. For heavy .44 Magnum loads, 2400.

H110, 2400, and a military pull-down powder called WC820. Here's a write-up I did on it:

A while back I bought a bunch of surplus WC820 powder (the original application was for the .30 Carbine). This stuff is supposed to load somewhere between AA9 and H110. I decided to do some experimenting to find a .44 Mag load for my 8" Colt Anaconda. Here are the results.

I used 240gr Hornady JHP bullets, CCI large pistol magnum primers, and new Starline brass. As a benchmark, I compared it to some Magtech factory ammo with 240gr JSP bullets. I fired 20 shots of each load over my chrono from a rest.

Magtech ammo:
Avg velocity = 1251 fps - Velocity spread = 95 fps - Standard Deviation = 29

WC820 Loads:
19.0grs: Avg = 1297 - Spread = 67 - SD = 18
19.5grs: Avg = 1320 - Spread =110 - SD = 31
20.0grs: Avg = 1340 - Spread = 64 - SD = 30
20.5grs: Avg = 1374 - Spread = 55 - SD = 17
21.0grs: Avg = 1410 - Spread =107 - SD = 30

The best accuracy was obtained with the 20.5 grain load. I shot a 4" group at 50 yards while I was tired; these will probably shoot better than that.

10G. Unique behind a 250G Keith style PBSWC is comfortable@ 1100 or so fps. 8-9G Universal is about the same but cleaner.
22G WC820 behind a 250G Thompson GC SWC for the Rugers & Contender.
These are all home cast. Brinell 15 for PB & 22 for GC [Lino].

7 gr. of Unique under a 240/250 gr lead swc will give you a load that you can do just about anything with. I believe it was one of Skeeter Skeltons favorites in either 44 special or 44 magnum cases.

I've been working up some loads with Bullseye and Berry's lswc; 5.5g- 5.9g. I do need to run some more tests for accuracy with some previous loads with the newer recipes.

ETA: these are 240 grain bullets; I have found the Berry's to be more consistent in weight than Northeast Bullets.

One in the same?

296 or H110 are one and the same.

BG,
Why do you state that Winchester 296 and Hodgdon (sp) H110 are the same?
I would not think that one or the other is repackaging the others product and relabeling. I've burnt up quite a bit of 296 and some H110 as well. The 296 has a very distinct odor when lit. Definately smells different than the H110. I personally have not had them side by side under a microscope to compare.

BG,
Why do you state that Winchester 296 and Hodgdon (sp) H110 are the same?
I would not think that one or the other is repackaging the others product and relabeling. I've burnt up quite a bit of 296 and some H110 as well. The 296 has a very distinct odor when lit. Definately smells different than the H110. I personally have not had them side by side under a microscope to compare.

They were both made by Olin. In fact all ball powders were made by Olin. This may have changed with all the recent aquisitions but you will note that loading data is very similar with the exception that they suggest not dropping the max charge with 296. A lot of new powders are comming from Canada, Australia, And eastern Europe.
I have been using the same recipes for both powders for years with no difference in pressure signs, or velocity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom