• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15/M16 Drop-in auto safety sear

I was glancing through the most recent Shotgun News and happened to notice a very small advertisement by a company Su-press-on Inc that was advertising drop-in auto safety sears for AR15 style rifles that you don't need an FFL to receive. I think to myself, "Self....this can't be right."

So I do a little research on the item and find that there were two types of them. The pre-1981 and the post 1981. Anything pre-1981 was supposedly grandfathered in as not being a registered machine gun, anything post that date was manufactured as a machine gun or controlled item.

Supposedly it is legal to own one of the pre-1981 sears as long as you don't own an AR15 style rifle to put it in. However the problem arises that even if you own just the sear and no rifle that you can't prove the sear was pre-1981 as there is no serial number on the sear itself so the ATF could assume that it was made after that and is an illegal machine gun.

Anyone think that the ad is potentially entrapment? It sure seems like it. Probably an ATF cover.

Isn't the RECEIVER the registered part? IANAL...but I thought you could replace a sear, just not the receiver...

Dunno, but it seems to me that Title 26 USC Chapter 53 is pretty clear. Anything manufactured with the sole purpose of converting a gun to a machine gun is, by definition, itself a machine gun. So I'm not sure what the pre-1981/post-1981 stuff has to do with it. If the sear isn't registered as a machine gun pre-1986 (which I'm not sure you could even do), it'll land you in lots of hot water for trying to purchase it, whether you have an AR15 or not. I know they're trying to get away with saying it has something to do with being a "safety." Good luck with that argument in court.

Dunno, but it seems to me that Title 26 USC Chapter 53 is pretty clear. Anything manufactured with the sole purpose of converting a gun to a machine gun is, by definition, itself a machine gun. So I'm not sure what the pre-1981/post-1981 stuff has to do with it. If the sear isn't registered as a machine gun pre-1986 (which I'm not sure you could even do), it'll land you in lots of hot water for trying to purchase it, whether you have an AR15 or not. I know they're trying to get away with saying it has something to do with being a "safety." Good luck with that argument in court.

Exactly. For example you can buy a MP5 clone that is "sear ready" however not a automatic gun then have a legal transferable registered sear to drop in to make it automatic.

Those advertisements have been around for years, you can order the part but have to wonder if it is worth the trouble for constructive possession. I hate using the boogyman term there without any substantial proof to it, but its like finding a bag filled with $100s in the middle of Lowell. Is it worth the risk?

The pre81/post81 thing came about from a ruling that a part or collection of parts solely designed to convert a firearm to a machine gun, was in itself a machine gun.

Before 1981, you could buy a DIAS, and own it without registering it. Making a machine gun out of it (actually putting it in a receiver) meant you actually had to register your machine gun. Alot of people, not knowing any better would register their lower as the machine gun, and then drop a DIAS in. These lower/DIAS combos are now "married". The lower can't be modified to accept a GI sear, as that would be manufacturing a new machine gun. The DIAS can't be removed, as its not marked, and is now a machine gun all by itself.

Post 1981, DIASs had to be registered by the manufacture as machine guns when they where made.

The ads in Shotgun News are from the dude that invented the DIAS back 20 years ago. He is still active at gun shows near where he lives.

If you want to learn more about DIASs and how they work, checkout http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html.

--EasyD

I actually saw one of these in use at Knob Creek way back when and dumped a few mags through it. The DIAS was pretty simple, (looks like a kid could make it)(except me - I'm a mechanical retard) and I'll be damned if it didn't work...I almost bought one, but bought a MAC-10 instead... [wink]

I saw a couple registered lightning links on Gunbroker going for about 7k to 8k. I can't imagine spending that much money on a stupid piece of metal that could easily get lost or break from use. They don't seem to be easily repaired either so once it breaks that's pretty much it.

Now lets say I ordered one and was going to another country on vacation.. Assuming it was legal in that country. Could I legally put the rock and roll in and take it out before I got back??

I saw a couple registered lightning links on Gunbroker going for about 7k to 8k. I can't imagine spending that much money on a stupid piece of metal that could easily get lost or break from use. They don't seem to be easily repaired either so once it breaks that's pretty much it.

Due to the laws, the market for them and full auto is limited in civilian hands, so the market sets the price and those who have shot full auto or like to continue to shoot full auto dont seem to have any issues with the prices. I does sound steep though, but not when you really think about it. :)

Now lets say I ordered one and was going to another country on vacation.. Assuming it was legal in that country. Could I legally put the rock and roll in and take it out before I got back??

I believe that owning one in more than 80% completion plus owning an AR 15 to put it in would be possession with intent or constructive possession. So if you do happen to (in regards to an unregistered LL) have one, buy one, or whatever (not that anyone on this board would condone such a thing[grin]) keep it on the D low.

That is almost as old as the "I am the son of a wealthy nigerian price, I just need to send you a check for a bazillion dollars and collect a small fee"..

Short answer is that the DIAS is a go directly to jail, do not pass go, card.

Back
Top Bottom