.40 question

I have my 550 set up for loading .40. My question is, I have a lot of .40 brass from my M&P, but a good amount of it is also from the Glock 22 I used to have. I've read that these cases bulge due to the unsupported chamber. Should I trash any of these cases that I may find, or should I just use them? I'm planning to go with light loads, near the starting loads listed in the Lyman manual.

Don't trash the cases. The way to get rid of the bulge (other than a roll sizing CasePro) is to get the $22 undersized die from EGW. However, if you crank you current resizing die down as far as it will go and the chamber in your gun isn't tight, you might be good to go.

Someone is going to come along and say "get a Lee FCD" but that is a clunky addition to your press. It is changing case after the bullet is seated. Stick with a taper crimp. The tight resizing die is making more of the case right from the start. It gives a good feel too. On the down stroke, you'll really feel the case getting sized all in that first position. You can feel the really bulged ones as they go through, so use lube. It makes for very reliable ammo.

Don't trash the cases. The way to get rid of the bulge (other than a roll sizing CasePro) is to get the $22 undersized die from EGW. However, if you crank you current resizing die down as far as it will go and the chamber in your gun isn't tight, you might be good to go.

Someone is going to come along and say "get a Lee FCD" but that is a clunky addition to your press. It is changing case after the bullet is seated. Stick with a taper crimp. The tight resizing die is making more of the case right from the start. It gives a good feel too. On the down stroke, you'll really feel the case getting sized all in that first position. You can feel the really bulged ones as they go through, so use lube. It makes for very reliable ammo.

+1, I have put a lot of Glock fired brass in 9MM and 40S&W through my EGW dies. I now have one on order for the 45ACP to take care of the GAP brass I want to load for my revolver.

Someone is going to come along and say "get a Lee FCD" but that is a clunky addition to your press. It is changing [the] case after the bullet is seated. Stick with a taper crimp.

That's my cue. [wink]

The undersized die is A Good Thing, especially if you are reloading Glock brass. However, that only sizes the case. If you only shoot jacketed bullets, it will probably suffice.

I use an FCD because, aside from being exceedingly cost-effective, it sizes the entire cartridge, which a mere sizing die does not. It also puts in a nice crimp.

As it is in the final station, it is a final quality check, especially for cast bullets, which tend to run large. I haven't found it making the press "clunky" at all.

Factory Crimp Die.

It has a carbide ring to final-size the cartridge, full-length. A very useful little item, IME.

Oh, ok, I have a few of those for other calibers.

So after running all the cases through the Dillon and loading them, I'd use that to finish them off? I do have a seperate press I could use for that.

Both of my Para P-16s have match barrels with tight chambers. I have found that the Lee Undersized Die will resized once fired .40 (Glocked) brass with almost 100% success; the resized brass will function flawlessly in the match barrels. I have also found that cases fored more than once will leave a belt at the bottom after sizing with the Lee die and won't chamber. You have to be careful.

So after running all the cases through the Dillon and loading them, I'd use that to finish them off? I do have a separate press I could use for that.

WHY? Unless you've got all 4 stations filled already, there is no reason to use a separate press.

Make sure the die is down as far as it can go w/o touching the shell plate.

Hmm, my Dillon has 4 dies in it. Powder, deprimer, seating die, and crimp die. Do I just replace the standard crimp die with the Lee FCD?

Hmm, my Dillon has 4 dies in it. Powder, deprimer, seating die, and crimp die. Do I just replace the standard crimp die with the Lee FCD?

Yes. It's called a CRIMP die for a reason.

This way seating and crimping are kept separate, which is superior.

Back
Top Bottom