40 cal. revolver?

Does it exist? im having no luck with my search engine.. but i have a guy at work swearing S&W made a 40 cal revolver.. If you knowledgeable members could help me it would be greatly appreciated... thank you

Does it exist? im having no luck with my search engine.. but i have a guy at work swearing S&W made a 40 cal revolver.. If you knowledgeable members could help me it would be greatly appreciated... thank you

I actually called Hamilton Bowen to ask if he would custom a S&W mod. 10-5 in .40. He told me to buy a 10mm revo.[sad2] so, no, not to my knowledge.

S&W did make a .40 cal revolver. It could shoot both .40 cal and 10mm IIRC.

I believe some NES'rs have this revolver...

No good can come of the .40, but the 610 can fire the 10mm (as well as the weaker .40).

If I recall correctly, S&W did make a revolver in .40 only, but they realized their mistake and quickly stopped making it.

.40 ?

Why go for a .40 when you can go for a .45. Much better power and penetration. .40 in my opinion is an escape from a true higher power the 45!

The .40 is one of the greatest calibers ever concieved, for competitive use. In USPSA Limited a double stack .40 can hold 20 rounds; ideal for match use. I do over 90% of my shooting with a .40, either in a Glock or a Para P-16. This round is one of the cheapest you can reload. I use 155gr lead swcs in range brass that I have scrounged which gives me some decent savings over a .45 using 200gr lead swcs.

I wouldn't carry one as I much prefer the 9mm or the .45, but in its limited capacity as a competitive/practice round this caliber is tops.

The .40S&W is a cut-down 10mm because a bunch of people complained about the recoil of the 10mm. Then, just about every police department switched to it. Talk about a marketing success.

I dislike the .40 on principle, and because of personal experience not related to the performance of the cartridge.

On Principle
The .40 is symbolic of the pussification of America. You see... in the past someone would look at a cartridge like the .38 S&W and say to themselves, "If we made this thing longer, we could get more powder into it and make it more powerful. Let's do it!", and the .38 Special was born.

Then one night, Colonel D. B. Wesson and Phil Sharpe were drinking straight whiskey and smoking cigars when the Col picked up a .38 Special and said, "Dude, we should make this thing longer and stuff it with smokeless powder. We could even give it a cool name. It would kick ass!" and Phil Sharpe said, "You're a pussy if you don't", and the .357 Magnum was born.

The same thing happened with the .44 (except Elmer Keith was drinking the whiskey alone).

With the .40, some accountant picked up a 10mm and said, "If someone else would make this smaller and weaker, it wouldn't hurt my little hand as much when I shoot it." His transgender assistant said, "That a great idea! They could even make the guns smaller to fit in my evening bag", and the .40 was born.

Personal Experience
I've been shooting since my early teens. When I was first getting into handguns, I made the mistake of asking a blowhard know-it-all former co-worker his opinion. After that, every time he saw me he'd spend what seemed like hours expounding on the virtues of the .40 as "the perfect cartridge". I began to hate it. Soon thereafter, I had a bad gun shop experience with some crusty old fossil that tried to hard-sell me a .40. The non-conformist in me kicked into high gear and I said to myself, "I'm never going to own one of these things".

A side story about the know-it-all blowhard:

A couple of years ago I was talking to this guy and I mentioned that I was reloading for my .500. He said, "There's no such thing as a .50 caliber revolver". I directed him to Google and told him to do his research. (He must've missed the release of the X-frames because he couldn't hear it over the sound of how awesome the .40 is).

He asked if he could shoot mine because he was "proficient with big bore revolvers". So, I took Mr. Proficiency to to the range, put a single mild load in my 8" .500, he shot it, and dropped my gun!

He grabbed his wrist and started hopping around moaning like Dr. Smith on Lost In Space. He broke the fiberoptic front sight on my revolver and never paid for it. He loves the .40 though.

Last edited:
I didn't even drop the .500 when I shot one of those nuclear loads and I'm a wimp!

Of course, I did only shoot one. [wink]

I dislike the .40 on principle, and because of personal experience not related to the performance of the cartridge.

On Principle
The .40 is symbolic of the pussification of America. You see... in the past someone would look at a cartridge like the .38 S&W and say to themselves, "If we made this thing longer, we could get more powder into it and make it more powerful. Let's do it!", and the .38 Special was born.

Then one night, Colonel D. B. Wesson and Phil Sharpe were drinking straight whiskey and smoking cigars when the Col picked up a .38 Special and said, "Dude, we should make this thing longer and stuff it with smokeless powder. We could even give it a cool name. It would kick ass!" and Phil Sharpe said, "You're a pussy if you don't", and the .357 Magnum was born.

The same thing happened with the .44 (except Elmer Keith was drinking the whiskey alone).

With the .40, some accountant picked up a 10mm and said, "If someone else would make this smaller and weaker, it wouldn't hurt my little hand as much when I shoot it." His transgender assistant said, "That a great idea! They could even make the guns smaller to fit in my evening bag", and the .40 was born.

Personal Experience
I've been shooting since my early teens. When I was first getting into handguns, I made the mistake of asking a blowhard know-it-all former co-worker his opinion. After that, every time he saw me he'd spend what seemed like hours expounding on the virtues of the .40 as "the perfect cartridge". I began to hate it. Soon thereafter, I had a bad gun shop experience with some crusty old fossil that tried to hard-sell me a .40. The non-conformist in me kicked into high gear and I said to myself, "I'm never going to own one of these things".

A couple of years ago I was talking to this guy and I mentioned that I was reloading for my .500. He said, "There's no such thing as a .50 caliber revolver". I directed him to Google and told him to do his research. (He must've missed the release of the X-frames because he couldn't hear it over the sound of how awesome the .40 is).

He asked if he could shoot mine because he was "proficient with big bore revolvers". So, I took Mr. Proficiency to to the range, put a single mild load in my 8" .500, he shot it, and dropped my gun!

He grabbed his wrist and started hopping around moaning like Dr. Smith on Lost In Space. He broke the fiberoptic front sight on my revolver and never paid for it. He loves the .40 though.

Hand cannons it is hahahahaha... My thing was i hate the nine its weak and the 45 is so expensive to go out plinking with.. so i went with the .40... i always wanted to try those .500 x frames... looks like a blast...

On Principle

It's a shame people are so hesitant to share their opinions here :)
I'm considering a .40 at some point simply because it is more fun than a 9mm and relatively inexpensive round. I've heard some really good things about the S&W 610 from folks, and really enjoyed shooting 10mm, so it'll probably find its way home to me one of these days...

On Principle

Personal Experience

Posts like this are why I log into NES every lunch break.

On Principle

I nominate this for post of the year. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom