3D Printed Gun Part Can Withstand 600 Rounds - Wiki-Weapons Project

I'm not interested for myself. I know I'd end up with a box of junk before I was through.

But it's interesting to see where Technology is headed.

3D Printers are amazing. I've seen claims by some that they can print Meat - yes, edible Meat.

Others say they can print Drugs. Or Viruses - yes, the kind that get you sick.

Science Fiction is becoming fact.

The [really] good 3D printers are NOT cheap. I'm talking about the ones that use substrate/raw material that can withstand the stresses of firearm main parts (upper, lower, frame)... You'll always have metal parts inside the firearm though. Things like triggers, hammers, springs, barrels or where high temperatures come into play. Gas tubes will continue to be metal until a 3D printer can make them from materials that can withstand the pressures and gas heat levels.

As for the 80% 1911 frame. You need to machine the rails the slide rides on. IMO, that's a rather critical item, where tight tolerances are required. Not something I'd try to do with a hand file. You really want a good mill to do that.

BTW, you can Cerakote plastics you know. So you could increase their strength, or at least wear resistance, that way.

I'm sick of paying $40+ for spare magazines for random rifles and handguns, if they are available at all.

I wonder when the price of 3D printing stainless steel or aluminum will be cheap enough that I can print a CZ527
mag or an M1 carbine mag for < $20

3d printed guns or parts are cool, but 18th century craftsmen were able to produce amazing work in what amounted to home workshops.

Combine skills with todays knowledge and realize that modern cnc mills are not mandatory to produce functional modern firearms.

That said, nothing would be cooler to me than printing a gun to take to the range for a day and then melt it down to make another one next week. (yes I know you can't yet recycle parts in home printers)

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

The guys at Rudius have some deal when they run Workshops. They have the 3D Printer, you go there, you pay them, you press the button, you are now the actual MANUFACTURER of a Lower for your own personal use.

They claim it is all legal.

Though I recall some guy in NH had a similar deal once, with a CNC. He eventually got into a world of hurt.

3d printed guns or parts are cool, but 18th century craftsmen were able to produce amazing work in what amounted to home workshops.

Combine skills with todays knowledge and realize that modern cnc mills are not mandatory to produce functional modern firearms.

That said, nothing would be cooler to me than printing a gun to take to the range for a day and then melt it down to make another one next week. (yes I know you can't yet recycle parts in home printers)

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Craftsmen in 2013 ?

Avoiding any resemblence to working with your hands is why the Liberals want to send 100% of the kids to college.

Indoctrinate them - teach them nothing useful.

How a once mighty Nation has fallen !!

[crying]

Back
Top Bottom