3d Printed (Compact) Laser Sight - any inputs?

Was looking up laser sight options and man, they are either huge or very expensive for a quality one. So after a week of prototyping on my 3d printer I've come up with this little unit.
It has windage and elevation adjustment screws which are surprisingly sensitive. So far the build feels sturdy and I am very optimistic about maybe going to production level quality - but I have yet to do a range test.

IMG_20150501_232647.jpg

Down the sights

IMG_20150503_022517.jpg

Attached to my Ruger SR9 for size comparison.

It is a rough demonstration prototype so electrical tape to hold in the batteries and the screws are pretty protruded, overall not that pretty. Dimensions are 25mm wide 33mm long at 20mm high. This was printed as two separate units, one as an adapter for the pic rail, and the bottom compartmentalized for all the internal wiring. Besides the 3 adjustment screws at the front, there is that huge one on the left hand side to turn it on. I figure it'll be easier to access offhand, but reprinting on the right hand side can be easily done if that ends up being a better option. Had to settle for this kind of an ON switch because rocker switches and slide switches I've looked up are absolutely HUGE. They contribute more to the size than any other component. This easily cuts down on size and because it's such a simple item, less chance of component failures.

One thing I could really use some help with, especially from all the gentlemen who have been tinkering for ages, is the elevation adjustment. Unfortunately the plastic on the bottom of the second unit is extremely thin at only 3 mm. The screw does a great job zeroing in but after several minutes of working the action repeatedly, the threading strips the plastic pretty badly and it ends up coming loose so loss of zero. Is there anything that I can use that might reinforce this area? I was thinking of embedding a nut into the plastic but can't wrap my head around securing it in place well enough.

Anyways, I have parts for another 9 units so hopefully the design can be further cleaned up. Eventually, if there is enough interest, I'd be happy to send them out to any (few) volunteers who want to help test perhaps with different calibers.

Input greatly appreciated [smile]

Last edited:
Welp, a small update for anyone interested. I was able to mount a nut for the elevation screw and it is now solid as a rock. From what I can tell after mounting the sight for 48 hours, it has not lost zero. I've also gotten better materials to make it sleeker. The on off twisting switch is working like a charm. Here's a few internal shots, gives you an idea of what everything does. Tomorrow, off to the range to test it out!

317e40fc-6f47-494e-a1a9-70fb14d06b6f.jpg

Stuff crammed into the lower chassis

15012c8c-39ac-42cc-8893-3c5960abf183.jpg

Both the top adapter and bottom chassis

4c3a003f-b087-4992-a047-51c005b51a4b.jpg

Prototype on the right, final unit on the left. Not too bad looking.

Was looking up laser sight options and man, they are either huge or very expensive for a quality one.

What does a quality laser sight cost? Approx. price range? Just want to get a sense of what the opportunity might be.

Where did you get the laser unit?

looks like 50+ for anything that didn't break often or had sensitive adjustments (based off a quick read of amazon reviews). The other issue is that a lot of them are really big - these things can be made smaller without sacrificing durability.

Following. .. When I get home I'll post a photo of my tdr911 that is very similar but it also has 2 LED'S that are bright enough to see in a dark hall (but are by no means a flashlight). Vrary cool price of tech, it's a shame he went out of business.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

irst range test, failure.

I seriously underestimated what recoil can do to soft material. The right side of the adapter snapped off after 3 shots. The good news is that it broke along the grain of the print, essentially length wise of the pic rail. After thinking about it, it was silly trying to print it oriented that way. The easy fix is to set the machine to print width wise and reinforce the sides. The other good news is that the chassis and loose parts inside remain undamaged so we're half way there.

7875f68a-b855-4295-a4a8-cc9a25bf8708.jpg

Snapped off, in red (right side, left frontal view)

The TDR911 looks great. Slightly longer at almost 2 inches while this printed base is at 1.3" but very compact compared to what's out there. It seems like they're still in business too unless the website is outdated. It's reassuring to see that a professional product like that is employing the same opposing screw though. I would love to get my hands on one (any kind of laser sight) to see how they are designed but seems silly to purchase one just for that purpose.

Not so much a third party but a different material. Currently looking into my machine's compatibility with high impact resistant plastic - fairly sure it is as it's still ABS. Besides, relying on someone else for this takes away the fun.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look into it and see if I can adapt any of their applications to this little project, thanks.

Not so much a third party but a different material. Currently looking into my machine's compatibility with high impact resistant plastic - fairly sure it is as it's still ABS. Besides, relying on someone else for this takes away the fun.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look into it and see if I can adapt any of their applications to this little project, thanks.

A lot of abs chips and tears . Look into nylon 6/6
It's what a lot of polymer guns are made from and good with heat etc.

Back
Top Bottom