3bucc brass catcher and one piece scope mounts

exo

So I got tired of picking up my .223 brass at the range (especially with winter coming on), and bought a 3bucc brass catcher for flattop ARs. The reviews of it are all positive.

What I didn't consider is the clearance required for the rail mount. I have a scope in an American Defense RECON one piece mount (http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/5/) and I have BUIS mounted. The mount won't clear underneath the scope mount [angry]. I have additional rail segments available as my forearm has a top rail even with the receiver rail, but then that puts the catcher too far forward. Even with moving the BUIS I can't get the scope mount back far enough for it to work, and then I run into eye relief issues.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

If you are not to concerned with the looks, i have zip tied a small rag (think 6" x 8") to the carry handle of my ar so that it hung over the ejection port a good bit. It drops the brass right at my feet with no issue.

Pros: cheap, easy

Cons: Not very tacticool looking

[cerberus];2675544 said:
If you are not to concerned with the looks, i have zip tied a small rag (think 6" x 8") to the carry handle of my ar so that it hung over the ejection port a good bit. It drops the brass right at my feet with no issue.

Pros: cheap, easy

Cons: Not very tacticool looking

Yeah I get that, but the point is that I don't have to pick them up [wink]

Yes, they have spacers that will raise the mount just enough to clear the catcher mount. I paid like $8 ea. online ans had them in two days. Want pics?

Shoot me a PM.
-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I had the same issue with my LaRue SPR mount. The standard mounting bracket is a bit tall, but it doesn't strictly have to be. I made up a new bracket that's arranged lower, and fits under the scope mount's extension.

Two views of the bracket itself, left and right:

It's made out of Delrin, with a threaded brass insert for the retaining screw. If I remember correctly, the through-holes for the bag's "legs" are spaced to clear the Picatinny rail slots if necessary.

Here it is mounted, you can see the clearance between the bracket and the scope mount:

It's worked very well for me, and could be easily duplicated by anyone with the necessary tooling.

To do it with a minimum of fuss, a milling machine and a double-angle cutter for the Picatinny slot. It could probably be done with hand tools (files, etc) if necessary, though I personally wouldn't want to.

If you want to make a couple of mounts for the bag, I need a couple more.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

To do it with a minimum of fuss, a milling machine and a double-angle cutter for the Picatinny slot. It could probably be done with hand tools (files, etc) if necessary, though I personally wouldn't want to.

Hmm.

In that picture, is the thing actually gripping the rail? It looks like it is hanging in free space, unless this is a non-standard receiver with an extended rail?

Hmm.

In that picture, is the thing actually gripping the rail? It looks like it is hanging in free space, unless this is a non-standard receiver with an extended rail?

No, in that picture, it isn't. It's actually stuck on there backwards (to clear the retaining screw). My mount is currently placed such that there isn't an open rail slot between it and the rail's end, until I get a chance to adjust the scope in the mount a bit. Fortunately, the bracket is sufficiently tight that it grips the rail without being bolted in.

If you want to make a couple of mounts for the bag, I need a couple more.

If I ever get the urge to gin up some more, I'll let you know. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom