.38 special +P???

Probably asked a bunch of times but here it goes anyway.

I recently started reloading for my new GP100 and was wondering if I started throwing +P brass in the mix if the rounds loaded with it would vary over the standard .38 special?

I beleive there is less volume so more pressure...correct?

It is no big deal if this will have a inconsistent/negative effect. I am working on my revolver shooting and need a consistent accurate round.

Right now I am loading 148 lead WC over 2.7 grains of Bullseye. I could make the increase to 2.8 grains which the Lee manual says is the minimum for +P.

brass is brass. load it. shoot it.

what's stamped on the bottom (+P, +P+, etc) means nothing.

2.7gr BE under a 148DEWC is the oldschool bullseye load. VERY soft shooting, very very accurate. not even CLOSE to a +P if you're attempting to load ammo to mimic your carry loads.

FWIW, to mimic (similiar recoil) my Speer GDSB's, im running 4.0gr of BE under a 158gr LRNFP. THAT is +P.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am not trying to mimic a +p or SD round. Just want to stick with the oldschool bullseye round you refered to that has been working great for me.

My confusion came in when the Lee manual listed the usefull case capacity of .38 as 1.30cc and .38+p at 1.18cc.

This had me thinking there would be differences in the performance of the round.

As Jasper said, load any 38 special brass (whether marked 38 special or marked 38 special +P) the same. Be sure that you clearly mark your box of reloads as to the caliber, the powder amount, bullet weight, etc, etc, etc. Put the reload date on it, and your initials. That way you an anyone else who picks up the box of reloads will know what's inside.

that's case capacity of a SPECIFIC piece/brand of brass, established by water weighing the cases (the most accurate way to find the actual internal capacity of a piece of brass.

water weighing is completely pointless unless you're shooting benchrest (in which case case capacity can come into play). i dont even waterweigh brass to shoot 1000yds (although i do weigh the actual cases to eliminate the easy "fliers")

Thanks for the reply. I am not trying to mimic a +p or SD round. Just want to stick with the oldschool bullseye round you refered to that has been working great for me.

My confusion came in when the Lee manual listed the usefull case capacity of .38 as 1.30cc and .38+p at 1.18cc.

This had me thinking there would be differences in the performance of the round.

The +P stamp on the case head is for identifing factory loaded ammo and to prevent use in the older revolvers.

Can't say that I've ever measured the volume of any .38 Special case nor any .38 Special +P case. Actually, I always assumed the brass was similar, but the load was stouter in the +P. I guess I'll have to measure a few just for my own verification...
Case identification by headstamp is fine as long as you maintain and load your brass accordingly, but start trimming .30-06 Springfield into 8mm Mauser, and so forth, and that's all out the window.

Last edited:
Exactly! Which is why it's important to mark your ammo boxes with information as to what's inside. Those details should also get included in your reloading log book.

Can't say that I've ever measured the volume of any .38 Special case nor any .38 Special +P case. Actually, I always assumed the brass was similar, but the load was stouter in the +P. I guess I'll have to measure a few just for my own verification...
Case identification by headstamp is fine as long as you maintain and load your brass accordingly, but start trimming .30-06 Springfield into 8mm Mauser, and so forth, and that's all out the window.

Back
Top Bottom