38 sp loads

I picked up some 158gn FP bullets and 38/357 dies
I have Bullseye w231 and Titegroup
Anyone have a favorite load they would like to share. Will be shooting out of a Colt Trooper.
Thanks

I like 3.5 grains of Bullseye over a 158 SWC.
Shoots to the sights on my model 10. Shot thousands through my 686 and they shoot very well.
They run great in my 1894 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were a double crimp groove SWC and I used the bottom crimp groove.

Do your bullets have crimp grooves? Do you have a picture of the ones your using?

These were a double crimp groove SWC and I used the bottom crimp groove.

Do your bullets have crimp grooves? Do you have a picture of the ones your using?

They have a single very shallow grove. I guess the goal is to align the groove with the crimp. I should have figured that one out lol.

thanks for the quick replies

No prob. Even with the crimp groove telling you the OAL you should still try to match up some data to a similar bullet design.
Some crimp groove locations leave a lot more bullet in the case than others.
So it's good to find load data with a similar profile bullet so you have similar pressures.

Don't want to get up to book max and find out that your bullet is seated .100" deeper and you're really above max.

Could be an issue depending on the powder and what gun you're running them in.

No prob. Even with the crimp groove telling you the OAL you should still try to match up some data to a similar bullet design.
Some crimp groove locations leave a lot more bullet in the case than others.
So it's good to find load data with a similar profile bullet so you have similar pressures.

Don't want to get up to book max and find out that your bullet is seated .100" deeper and you're really above max.

Could be an issue depending on the powder and what gun you're running them in.

That makes a lot of sense. Ive done a lot of 9 and 45 and some rifle loads. None have had a crimp groove. I have 2 guns that shoot 38 and one of them is also rated for 357 so I am guessing it will be a little more forgiving. I may make some tonight and shoot them tomorrow. I need to buy a chrono. I think that will be my next purchase.
Again thanks, I really appreciate the input

Back
Top Bottom