M&P 9 help

snax

NES Member
So, I had the 9c out tonight, functions flawlessly. I've had this thing apart dozens of times. For some reason, I can't field strip it. I drop the takedown lever, the mag disconnect is down, and the slide moves forward about 1/4" and it stops hard like it's hung up on something. It's together correctly, it racks, fires, and cycles. Never had this problem in 8 years. Any ideas? I purchased this in '09 and it had a trigger job a few months later, so it's been apart many, many times. I last had it apart maybe 6-8 months ago at the range and it went back together fine and fired a magazine before putting it away. Haven't touched it since.

1. Try disassembling it by using the sear disconnect lever rather than trigger. And vice versa try trigger rather than sear disconnect

If that fails then

2. lock the slide back and remove the striker cover plate. Its easy just push down on the white polymer encasing the striker and slide the cover plate off. Then remove the striker assembly. you may have to push on the firing pin block to release it.

If the gun still doesnt disassemble then the issue is something other than the striker/sear in which case I would send it to S&W.

BTW, what if any aftermarket parts are you running?

Last edited:
when my Glock hangs up this way, the guide rod is in the way. maybe turn it upside down and give the slide a smack to see if the RSA moves closer to the barrel and clears whatever it's catching on?

Take a look at the retaining roll pin. If the pin has not been driven all the way through and sitting flush with the frame on the left side of the gun the take-down lever will hag up and and stop at the pin not allowing the lever to go all the way to it's stop. I have seen this a few times after someone has done a trigger job.

I've heard that occasionally the slide-stop lever spring will pop out its channel and hang up the slide like that. Peer into the gap between the slide and frame above the slide stop lever and check if you see anything.

Thanks. I think its hanging up on the takedown lever or guide rod. I can hear it in that area. Its a hard, solid stop. The roll pin is definitely out a little, but it us all the way thru. Definitely not hanging up on the trigger, striker or pin block.

Got it! hung up on the guide rod, it was almost completely off the rest on the barrel. Looked like it was barely catching on the takedown, I mean by a 32nd of an inch. didn't take much. I whacked it, cocked it back, twisted the pin and wiggled it, and it slid off normally, when it came off, the guide rod did pop off completely. I must have dislodged it reassembling it or something. It still fired that way too.

Well, at least that's what I think it was. I put it back together and took it apart about 5 more times and it was fine. There is a tiny mark on the takedown inside too.

Back
Top Bottom