Interesting. I had ammo/rifles held at the fedex office location in Peabody with no issues. Guess it varies store to store and who's working that day...
Holding a rifle at a hub was no big deal, had a nice chat with the guy. The ammo was a different animal. The ammo they would only let me select certain locations, so I had it held in Woburn. There was honestly no way for a person like me to know; she even said they should have rejected it on their side. Maybe only hubs can hold ammo/rifles? I might just order another can and have it held. Either that or just look for a deal on PPU.

Glad I picked up a crate when I did. This was the deal with two tins of HXP in enblocs. Have not yet shot the S&B.

Keep in mind that CMP's C.O.O. told us at the New England Games that they will run out of Garands sometime in 2018.
I remember when there were barrels full of Garands at Orent Bros. in Norwood when I was a kid. Some in chrome parade dress. Hope to buy one before they're gone.
Maybe President Trump will get the overseas supply to come home again.

I remember when there were barrels full of Garands at Orent Bros. in Norwood when I was a kid. Some in chrome parade dress. Hope to buy one before they're gone.

remember the oes locked up in korea will be free market full retail as they will be imported by someone who had to pay for them.....CMP gets the rifles from the US Army for free... well almost.
Also unless some how the importer convinced the Koreans to hold onto them they might have been sold to the next highest bidder already.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised how the Garand demand has remained strong & so has the pricing. Even parts can be a PITA now. I had a hell of a time finding some of the parts to build my .308 Garand. My criteria was very good condition to NOS, but not collector $$$$$ parts. 'Collectible' grade Garands are getting ridiculous. I don't remember what Garand prices were back in the day but I distinctly remember M1 Carbines for $150 tops and I'm not that old. Now even the carbines are getting ridiculous.

Guess the ammo is following suit.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised how the Garand demand has remained strong & so has the pricing. Even parts can be a PITA now. I had a hell of a time finding some of the parts to build my .308 Garand. My criteria was very good condition to NOS, but not collector $$$$$ parts. 'Collectible' grade Garands are getting ridiculous. I don't remember what Garand prices were back in the day but I distinctly remember M1 Carbines for $150 tops and I'm not that old. Now even the carbines are getting ridiculous.

Guess the ammo is following suit.

You can pick up correct and collector grades in south store for 2000-3500$ right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Demand should really pick up the day the CMP only has Garands for the auction block... [sad]

The cmp auction is already filled with over bid items.
A service grade inland will often top 1500$
Most garands on the lower end are 1500$ also.

There's been quite a few krags on cmp auction recently...
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org

Last edited:
Holding a rifle at a hub was no big deal, had a nice chat with the guy. The ammo was a different animal. The ammo they would only let me select certain locations, so I had it held in Woburn. There was honestly no way for a person like me to know; she even said they should have rejected it on their side. Maybe only hubs can hold ammo/rifles? I might just order another can and have it held. Either that or just look for a deal on PPU.

It's the ORM-D classification.
I've picked up all sorts of CMP items at the local FedEx storefront, but ammo has always been held at the nearest 'distribution facility' - about 45 minutes from me.

Thinking about maybe trying the S&B to mix things up...

I double-checked the 45 other rounds of surplus I have and it's Taiwanese (Nationalist China), and corrosive. The seller stated he thought it was Israeli, which apparently is a common mistake due to similar headstamps. In addition to being corrosive, the primer pockets are oversized so it won't take regular primers and is scrap for my purposes. I only paid 46 cents apiece so I really don't mind.

So that's 45 less cases available to me. Debating another can of HXP but at 85 cents each I wonder if I should just save up for a bigger order of PPU. Or try the S&B.

How many reloads per case do you guys get? I've heard four is average.

I am thinking I might have to relegate the Garands to weekday trips since collecting the brass on a crowded firing line is sure to not make anyone happy. With snowbanks right in front of the firing line at the current time, digging through the drifts for cases trying to use the imprints in the snow was not particularly enjoyable. Only lost two of the 56 though.

I don't reload yet, but I've been saving my HXP cases for a while now for when I start. My only concern was that my Garand seemed to beat up the mouth/neck of the case. Is that pretty common? Having never reloaded before, I don't know how common it is to have to reshape the mouth (I am aware of the need to trim cases for rifle rounds).

Last edited:
I don't reload yet, but I've been saving my HXP cases for a while now for when I start. My only concern was that my Garand seemed to beat up the mouth/neck of the case. Is that pretty common? Having never reloaded before, I don't know how common it is to have to reshape the mouth (I am aware of the need to trim cases for rifle rounds).

Common and not really a problem. I just use a loaded round and wedge it into the deformed casemouth to straighten it out. The sizing die will help straighten the casemouth a bit too.

Thinking about maybe trying the S&B to mix things up...

I double-checked the 45 other rounds of surplus I have and it's Taiwanese (Nationalist China), and corrosive. The seller stated he thought it was Israeli, which apparently is a common mistake due to similar headstamps. In addition to being corrosive, the primer pockets are oversized so it won't take regular primers and is scrap for my purposes. I only paid 46 cents apiece so I really don't mind.

So that's 45 less cases available to me. Debating another can of HXP but at 85 cents each I wonder if I should just save up for a bigger order of PPU. Or try the S&B.

I am thinking I might have to relegate the Garands to weekday trips since collecting the brass on a crowded firing line is sure to not make anyone happy. With snowbanks right in front of the firing line at the current time, digging through the drifts for cases trying to use the imprints in the snow was not particularly enjoyable. Only lost two of the 56 though.

I use this and a cheap tripod to catch my rifle and handgun brass. Works pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-122560-Brass-Trap/dp/B00EB5OU06

The PPU 500 rd cans comes in waves. It was in stock just a month or so ago. Now it's sold out everywhere except for Cabelas and Aimsurplus. Cabelas had some when I stopped by today. $409.99 plus tax. Could save $20 if you buy the discounted cabelas cards on eBay.

If you have free state connections:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ap3006can

Ken792 on the CMP forums, posted (#32) that he can get 16 reloads to an HXP case. Not too shabby...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=207635&page=4
Wow if I can get even half that then it wouldn't be a big rush. I'm just thinking (loosely) mathematically I have about 440 brass total if I fire all my loaded ammo. Four loadings each works out to 1760. If I shoot 100 rds a month that's 17.6 months, round up to a year and a half.

I expect to shoot more than 100 rds. a month though. If I can get 8 each then that's 3520 rounds / 100=35.2mths or just under three years.

Maybe one of those 120 rd S&B plastic cans to pad the numbers a little. My first 200 168gr Noslers arrived today. Gotta load em up.

Wow if I can get even half that then it wouldn't be a big rush. I'm just thinking (loosely) mathematically I have about 440 brass total if I fire all my loaded ammo. Four loadings each works out to 1760. If I shoot 100 rds a month that's 17.6 months, round up to a year and a half.

I expect to shoot more than 100 rds. a month though. If I can get 8 each then that's 3520 rounds / 100=35.2mths or just under three years.

Maybe one of those 120 rd S&B plastic cans to pad the numbers a little. My first 200 168gr Noslers arrived today. Gotta load em up.

For the most part you can reload your HXP for your garand until the neck split or the extractor rim gets all beat up....I found the rim gets beat up long before any other problems.
Also how much you resize your brass can have effect on how long it might last.
I have found after 6 loads the brass is starting to get "hard" it goes through the die different and also harder to trim... I also feel as if the bullet doesn't seat "tight" if that makes sense.
I think it needs to be anealed after a point...although I have so much 30-06 brass I could go another 10 years before needing to aneal.

I'm between my 4th reload / 5th firing of a lot of 3-400 cases. Mix of LC 69 and 72. Brass looks fine and I expect it to last at least a few more cycles. I do use a case gauge to ensure I'm (full size) resizing appropriately. And by that I mean, size the case down to 0. Without the gauge, you are likely sizing the brass too much, which may result in shorter life.

I'm between my 4th reload / 5th firing of a lot of 3-400 cases. Mix of LC 69 and 72. Brass looks fine and I expect it to last at least a few more cycles. I do use a case gauge to ensure I'm (full size) resizing appropriately. And by that I mean, size the case down to 0. Without the gauge, you are likely sizing the brass too much, which may result in shorter life.

Depending on your rifle....sizing back to "zero" on the rcbs gauge can be really working your brass.
Some sort of case headspace gauge will help you set up your die the best for a specific rifle.
I am about to do some 30-06 if I feel up to it I will post a few pictures of some of the things I have done....May help may not.

Anyone try the S&B with reloading? I ended up ordering another can of HXP instead because I read multiple reports of off-centered flash holes and very tight primer pockets in the S&B. Although the CMP site says 30-60 days' fulfillment for HXP (I think it's said that for a while and it was really more like a few days).

Haven't seen it in stores but haven't been looking, will buy some more PPU if I find it.

Anyone try the S&B with reloading? I ended up ordering another can of HXP instead because I read multiple reports of off-centered flash holes and very tight primer pockets in the S&B. Although the CMP site says 30-60 days' fulfillment for HXP (I think it's said that for a while and it was really more like a few days).

Haven't seen it in stores but haven't been looking, will buy some more PPU if I find it.

Cabelas in Berlin has PPU but at $409.99 plus tax...meh. I suppose if you buy some of those discounted Cabelas gift cards on eBay, it'd be a good deal....

PPU Garand 30-06 is back in stock at a favorite online ammo seller, $369 with free shipping for 500 rounds in an ammo can. As of now, they have 99+ in stock.

PPU Garand 30-06 is back in stock at a favorite online ammo seller, $369 with free shipping for 500 rounds in an ammo can. As of now, they have 99+ in stock.

Got it. Thanks brother. Been stalking this stuff for a while now and have always been a step behind.

Good call. I'm set but know people who are looking for some. Thanks.

I had signed up to be notified when it came back in stock. I got an email about 10 minutes ago and snapped up a can.

Thought I was signed up as well, but maybe not. Just checked and still no notification. May have been something else.

Heard its decent and the brass is pretty good as well so wanted to give it a try, but it always seemed to be out of stock. Can always use another can as well. Thanks again.

Update- Got the email notification this afternoon that the PRVI 3006 is back in stock...two days after they delivered it to my door, lol. WTF un-named ammo shipper?

That online vendor now has the PPU (without the ammo can) for $347 shipped. 70 cents per round shipped ain't bad....

Back
Top Bottom