Some posters are saying that the Sellier & Bellot shoots better than the HXP and brass reloads well. $.85/round

This is most likely not permanent, and more will show up at a later date. Most likely priced higher though...

~Matt

Glad I picked up a crate when I did. This was the deal with two tins of HXP in enblocs. Have not yet shot the S&B.

Keep in mind that CMP's C.O.O. told us at the New England Games that they will run out of Garands sometime in 2018.

Knowing this would happen one day got me into reloading a number of years ago. Learned to reload, never looked back. That being said, there may or may not be a handful of HXP tins hanging around the house.

guess it's a good thing I prepped my first cases for reloading tonight...
I have a box of the PPU for the M1 as well, local LGS didn't have any but I bought a box in NH when getting some Golden Tiger

Seems to be pretty elusive stuff. I dont think I ever recall seeing it in stock anywhere, but I might just have shit luck.

Use to be plentiful but seems harder to find as of late. I know I see the 500 round ammo cans of PPU at cabelas but they want like $400 a can plus tax if I recall. Usually goes for $370 shipped online.

THe ppu comes in waves It shoots well as does the S&B although for not much more the creedmoor ammo is very good stuff... runs about 1.35 shipped. great brass also.

I guess I should switch to my Pakistani and Korean and save the HXP.

I know the Korean is likely corrosive. The Pakistani is not supposed to be, but I treat it like it is to be safe.

Just checked my notes- CMP had ~4 million rounds of HXP last September. Didn't last very long...

Just checked my notes- CMP had ~4 million rounds of HXP last September. Didn't last very long...

4mil is only 80,000 rounds per state.
One club I go to averages 8500 rounds per year. So I hope they stocked up.
I think the end of HXP will put a end to CMP at many clubs.

I guess I should switch to my Pakistani and Korean and save the HXP.

I know the Korean is likely corrosive. The Pakistani is not supposed to be, but I treat it like it is to be safe.

I have some KA I bought a while back without realizing it was corrosive. Don't want to run it through the Garand. I was pulling, changing the primer, and reassembling but it's labor intensive and also a pain to push the old primer out of the crimped pocket. Good excuse to pick up an 03a3 I guess.

I have some KA I bought a while back without realizing it was corrosive. Don't want to run it through the Garand. I was pulling, changing the primer, and reassembling but it's labor intensive and also a pain to push the old primer out of the crimped pocket. Good excuse to pick up an 03a3 I guess.

or a old mauser in 30-06

How do you think it will affect Garand prices?

i dont think it will have much impact. Its not like the ammo will be hard to get. I think it will impact the price of new production ammo. once the CMP is out of HXP completely I would expect PPU S&B to go to 1$ or more per round...

BTW, this thread was meant to be a "plan ahead" thread and not a "panic thread".
Some of the newer M1 Rifle owners may want to think about the reloading aspect.

Yup. Once I burn through my 1,000+ rounds of PPU and HXP I'll continue reloading. I'm just too lazy and would rather burn through this ammo first....

THe ppu comes in waves It shoots well as does the S&B although for not much more the creedmoor ammo is very good stuff... runs about 1.35 shipped. great brass also.
That is what one of my local dealers said, that "this year's wave" had not come in and that he had no expected date. Another shop had some in February, don't know if they just had some held over from the "last wave." I know Federal makes an M1 load but all I have heard is that the cost does not match its quality.

The 1903 is soooo much easier!

BTW, this thread was meant to be a "plan ahead" thread and not a "panic thread".
Some of the newer M1 Rifle owners may want to think about the reloading aspect.
This is precisely why I got reloading equipment with some of my bonus/tax refund money. I also bought 32 rounds of FN 57 not knowing it was corrosive; I almost bought a 1903a3 (to the point where I had an email typed out saying I would take it, but decided not to send the email) before grabbing the two Garands instead. I guess I will hold onto it for the near future, maybe fire it before doing a detail cleaning on one of the M1s.

Yup. Once I burn through my 1,000+ rounds of PPU and HXP I'll continue reloading. I'm just too lazy and would rather burn through this ammo first....
I have about 350 unfired HXP cases, 50 resized/decapped ones and 20 Winchester ones. 20 unfired PPU as well. I have the 32 FN cases if I fire the corrosive FN 57. I wanted to buy more of PPU but I haven't found it locally. Not 1000s of rounds though, just maybe a handful of boxes. I was planning to mix reloads and HXP as I go.

Honestly I have not seen the federal AE M1 ammo in some time and it was more than 1$ round even back when I did see it.
If your going to spend more than 1$ per round for M1 ammo might as well go with creedmoor or federal GMM

Honestly I have not seen the federal AE M1 ammo in some time and it was more than 1$ round even back when I did see it.
If your going to spend more than 1$ per round for M1 ammo might as well go with creedmoor or federal GMM
That's what I hear. I just remembered the FN is berdan primed though, not going to mess with trying to prime it. I have 45 rounds of a headstamp I can't identify either, plan to post to the ammo subforum asking for help on identifying it.

That's what I hear. I just remembered the FN is berdan primed though, not going to mess with trying to prime it. I have 45 rounds of a headstamp I can't identify either, plan to post to the ammo subforum asking for help on identifying it.

I finally sorted all my ammo I was unsure of and or didn't want and just kept bringing it to club meetings, breakfasts and shoots. Some guys will buy anything.
I unloaded some of the worse 8mm mauser and I made it known it was NFG.
Still had 2 guys bickering over it.

I finally sorted all my ammo I was unsure of and or didn't want and just kept bringing it to club meetings, breakfasts and shoots. Some guys will buy anything.
I unloaded some of the worse 8mm mauser and I made it known it was NFG.
Still had 2 guys bickering over it.
That is one nice thing about bolt guns and corrosives. Less of a headache. This other 30-06 has 70s and 80s headstamps so I assume it's non-corrosive.

What was it last time, 68 cents/round? That's a 15% increase.

t
Yes, that was what I paid in November and December.

I just wish they didn't require signature. Working during the day makes it impossible to sign. Otherwise I'd order a can a month or something.

I did have a can held for pick up once at a Fedex store, when I went to pick it up the clerks asked me what was inside and were a little angry, they claimed that since it had a certain symbol on it (maybe ORM-D or something) they were not supposed to hold it at a store and my hold request should have been rejected.

Yes, that was what I paid in November and December.

I just wish they didn't require signature. Working during the day makes it impossible to sign. Otherwise I'd order a can a month or something.

I did have a can held for pick up once at a Fedex store, when I went to pick it up the clerks asked me what was inside and were a little angry, they claimed that since it had a certain symbol on it (maybe ORM-D or something) they were not supposed to hold it at a store and my hold request should have been rejected.

Interesting. I had ammo/rifles held at the fedex office location in Peabody with no issues. Guess it varies store to store and who's working that day...

HXP back in stock at CMP:
http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006X000-200P
200 loose rounds of M2 Ball, mixed headstamp, in rusty can for $160 ($.80/round)
4C3006X000-200P-s.jpg

Or, for a little more: ($1.00/round)
4C3006SBPP-120-s.JPG

Brand New S&B 120 for $120.00 in new plastic ammo box,

http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006SBPP-120

Lastly: 400-rounds for $340 ($.85/round)
http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006SB150-400
4C3006SB150-400.JPG

so it looks like they upped the price of HXP and dropped the SB a bit
the 400 rounds for 85 cents per round shipped is not a terrible deal.
PPU if you search could be had for 72-76 cents per round shipped.
my first 10 cases i paid .28 cents per round and got crates. that was not long ago 2007-08 ?

Back
Top Bottom