• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308? What do you load?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
I think I’m going to finally work up a load for my Remington 700.
I’ve shot 168 SMK over Varget in the past. Just some loads I had handy from another rifle. I never worked up anything proper for it. All mixed brass plinking stuff.

Now I want to spend time with the rifle this summer and work up something decent. 300 yard max at my range.

Here are my thoughts.

Lapua Brass
Grab 100 of each in the
Burgers
Hornady Amax
Hornady ELD
Should I go 168 or 178 range?

Federal match primers because I have them on hand.

RCBS dies to start. I’ll fire form then use a Lee collet neck sizer.

Not sure on powder. Suggestions?

89A312C6-475B-40C6-96D8-D24C91CA0D2E.jpeg

My best M14 load was 45gr of W748 under a Sierra 168. Thats way over the book load, by the way. It was the most accurate at 200 yds where I tested it. But if I was going to campaign with the old crowbar again, I'd be looking at working with a 155 Palma bullet for all yardlines.

I’ve been interested in going heavier lately and possibly trying to replicate the M118 and it’s 175gr SMK. The M24 is based on the Remington 700 if I’m not mistaken and the military designated the M118 to it for a reason (and it’s not because the stuff is cheap, surprisingly). This isn’t an original thought though.
The reason for my new found interest in heavy .308 loads? 9 Hole Reviews. Practical accuracy and The Speedway, ‘stacking rounds’ as they say. Worth a watch. Impressive shooting with an impressive platform and round.

View: https://youtu.be/Z4yk8D4MgIg

View: https://youtu.be/V2fKM8AlNSc

Last edited:
168gr Amax with 38gr of imr 4895 has been my go to. I picked up a rcbs case master concentricity gauge a while back to dial things in to see if I can get better results. I’ll bet that lapua brass will yield some good results

I did quite well in a Rem 700 Varmint Barrel .308 with 168 grain AMAX and Hornady 168 gr HPBT using 4064 for both and 5 shot groups ran about .5 moa (think 5 shots at 300 yards in the same 1” square. ) the rifle was pillared and bedded in a laminate stock and a Timney trigger added. It was great to 700 yards. 800 yards and farther out my misses increased

I also had a reduced recoiling load using 110 hollow points ( don’t recall powder off hand) that in the same rifle gave me the smallest 5 shot group I ever shot in any rifle at both 100 and 300 yards. A statistical fluke as on average it was .8 or .9 moa. The 110 HPs were at one time an economical bullet but no more. But still a great training round for ‘yutes. ( bonus points if you get movie reference)

No reason to shoot heavies for 300yrs really. Berger’s>Sierra>Hornady IMO. I’d try whatever powder you have that’s suitable before trying to source but Varget, IMR/H 4895, IMR 4064, and Re 15 are all pretty popular.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got a few SMK 155s hanging around if I can locate them you can have them.

Nice thank you all! @Mudflap621 that would be awesome.

I’ll have to look into 3031. I have a few pounds of that.

It would be nice to use something I have on hand as to not get raped on current powder pricing but if I have to buy some it’s not like shooting 1000 rounds a week.

Nice thank you all! @Mudflap621 that would be awesome.

I’ll have to look into 3031. I have a few pounds of that.

It would be nice to use something I have on hand as to not get raped on current powder pricing but if I have to buy some it’s not like shooting 1000 rounds a week.
Have had really good results with IMR3031 (42.2gr) under 125gr flat based SMKs in Peterson brass.

I’ve recently found my gun likes 168 Sierras and 43.5gr of 4064, lapua brass and federal gold primers. At 100 yards sone groups are under .1 but most at .25 ish. Haven’t had a ton of shooting that load any further, so not sure yet what it will do.

Dave
4064 - can be yours just by $90 per pound.

I do not believe so. I don’t think that was an option on this model.
Does the stock look familiar though?

What the actual f***, dude!?!?!? How did I completely miss the picture of the rifle?!?!? I didn’t sell that stock to YOU, did I? I’m pretty sure I would remember that. If not, how the hell did you know it was mine at one point?

Great stock, but I just liked by Bell and Carlson better...that squared off grip in the fore end of yours was a little strange and I didn’t feel like taking the time to get used to it.

Funny coincidences all around in this thread. I don’t know if you remember, but I first talked to you on the forum when you listed the Sadlak scope Mount off your dads M1A. I bought it and you offered me a spot in the casting seminar as part of the deal. Funny how small our community is here and how we just buy and sell each other parts, but they never really leave our little circles.

That stock looks handsome on your rifle and I kind of regret selling it now...let me know if you want to sell it!

I think I’m going to finally work up a load for my Remington 700.
I’ve shot 168 SMK over Varget in the past. Just some loads I had handy from another rifle. I never worked up anything proper for it. All mixed brass plinking stuff.

Now I want to spend time with the rifle this summer and work up something decent. 300 yard max at my range.

Here are my thoughts.

Lapua Brass
Grab 100 of each in the
Burgers
Hornady Amax
Hornady ELD
Should I go 168 or 178 range?

Federal match primers because I have them on hand.

RCBS dies to start. I’ll fire form then use a Lee collet neck sizer.

Not sure on powder. Suggestions?

View attachment 592088
18” barrel ?
Play with the slowest powder you have on hand ?

I’ll fire form then use a Lee collet neck sizer
It may or may not work, I have to use full body die every time as otherwise it makes it nearly impossible to close the bolt in.
I do not think it is critical, as long as your process is consistent and results are repeatable. I just now run all brass through the same die then size neck length to a same exact measurement and it seems to be sufficient.

I have a mix of various 308 brass but somehow the usual standard Redding die sets neck more or less exactly to 0.002”-.003” like it should be, so I see no need for a type s bushing one. And a same way for 223, btw.

Last edited:
What the actual f***, dude!?!?!? How did I completely miss the picture of the rifle?!?!? I didn’t sell that stock to YOU, did I? I’m pretty sure I would remember that. If not, how the hell did you know it was mine at one point?

Great stock, but I just liked by Bell and Carlson better...that squared off grip in the fore end of yours was a little strange and I didn’t feel like taking the time to get used to it.

Funny coincidences all around in this thread. I don’t know if you remember, but I first talked to you on the forum when you listed the Sadlak scope Mount off your dads M1A. I bought it and you offered me a spot in the casting seminar as part of the deal. Funny how small our community is here and how we just buy and sell each other parts, but they never really leave our little circles.

That stock looks handsome on your rifle and I kind of regret selling it now...let me know if you want to sell it!
Hahaha. Yeah I remember that. I bought the stock off you after that. Not a huge fan of the fat forend but I figure it’s always shot off a bipod and at the time they didn’t make a similar profile with a narrow forend.
I’m not selling it to the likes of you! 😂😂
18” barrel ?
Play with the slowest powder you have on hand ?
I think it’s a 20”. At least that’s the specs I can find online. I have to check the actual rifle.

It may or may not work, I have to use full body die every time as otherwise it makes it nearly impossible to close the bolt in.
I do not think it is critical, as long as your process is consistent and results are repeatable. I just now run all brass through the same die then size neck length to a same exact measurement and it seems to be sufficient.

I have a mix of various 308 brass but somehow the usual standard Redding die sets neck more or less exactly to 0.002”-.003” like it should be, so I see no need for a type s bushing one. And a same way for 223, btw.
Well that’s good news. I didn’t want to get in too deep and have more in dies that I did into the rifle. After all it’s pretty much stock and who knows if a late model Remington is capable of great accuracy or not.

Though I did get the bolt fluted so that’s going to cut the group down considerably (sarcasm) 😂😂😂😂😂

307BB5BC-35AF-4126-BC84-D90FD1847405.jpeg

Both of my late mode remingtons are the most accurate rifles I own. They’re in .308 and 6.5cm respectively and I can’t get either of them to shoot worse than sub MOA.

YMMV, of course, but at least you’ll look the part with that sweet fluted bolt!

That’s all I’m really worried about. I need to look better than
@Broccoli Iglesias does with his Kelley sights on his Pedersoli Sharps. I don’t go to the gym or wear skinny jeans to make my ass look good so I have to work harder on rifle upgrades.

I did quite well in a Rem 700 Varmint Barrel .308 with 168 grain AMAX and Hornady 168 gr HPBT using 4064 for both and 5 shot groups ran about .5 moa (think 5 shots at 300 yards in the same 1” square. ) the rifle was pillared and bedded in a laminate stock and a Timney trigger added. It was great to 700 yards. 800 yards and farther out my misses increased

I also had a reduced recoiling load using 110 hollow points ( don’t recall powder off hand) that in the same rifle gave me the smallest 5 shot group I ever shot in any rifle at both 100 and 300 yards. A statistical fluke as on average it was .8 or .9 moa. The 110 HPs were at one time an economical bullet but no more. But still a great training round for ‘yutes. ( bonus points if you get movie reference)
Some more info. My 168 gr loads used 44.0 gr 4064 in full length sized Federal brass, CCI large rifle primers. Rifle was factory action,barrel and bolt purchased new Jan 2017. Full length sizing was more accurate than neck or bump sizing. The Hornady 168 BTHP were 2714 avg fps with Labradar. OAL 2.798. I used this rifle and load to successfully shoot my Long range qualifier at Granby.

The 110 HP reduced loads were Speer bullets (#2110). 33.0 IMR 4198 CCI 200 primers In full length sized Remington cases OAL 2.650. avg. speed 2597 fps

This rifle hated Speer 165 and Berger’s 168 (5-6” at 200 yards).

picture below shows 300 yd target at HSC With 110hp. Shot prone front bipod and rear bag. It was a typical target before I changed out factory trigger where a good group was often blown by one shot always left. I finally figured out the factory trigger on every seventh or eighth shot would require an extra 8-12 oz pressure to release and I would pull shot left. had to replace trigger To fix

Attachments

• B4B743DE-E1A8-4BAB-BB93-99124CBCAF85.jpeg
    B4B743DE-E1A8-4BAB-BB93-99124CBCAF85.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 1
If ts only out to 300 yards, I'm not sure the heavier bullets are going to have an advantage over the 168s especially in a short barrel like yours. At longer distances, they buck the wind better but I like them in a 26" barrel to get all the velocity I can because they start to drop sooner. Probably not by much at 300 though. Its going to be about what your barrel likes better. Your 1:10 might like the 178s. The 1:12s really like the 168s, but also shoot the heavier bullets well depending on the powder.

175 SMK seated .010-0.15 off the lands
43.2 grains Varget or 43.6 IMR 4064
Lapua brass
CCI BR-2 or FED 210M
Rifles are a Savage 12 F/TR or a home built 700

You might have to tinker a bit with charge weights and or seating depths

Both loads shoot nearly identical out to 1000 yds.
I've used either rifle and loads down in Ridgway PA for the 1000 yd stuff or here at home in NH out to 500 yds.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom