.303 British

I am looking at some Enfields. Any place in Massachusetts sell .303? Unfortunately, I am not reloaded at this time.

Thanks!

Can't help you much in MA, but it's somewhat scarce in any state. I've seen some surplus on armslist, but shipping becomes a hassle.
I have a variety of my own reloads (about 140 rounds), if all else fails. Come down with your Enfield and also try the K31 while you're down.
If you bring some bullets (unless the Speer 123gr, pictured below...bottom two rounds.. will suffice), I have about 60 empties as well that can be reloaded to your specifications.
Cheers.

Last edited:
For seasons used to have a good selection of PPU brand ammo for all the some out "odd" cal.
303,8mm, 7.5 swiss and such.
I don't know if they have any left , fat cat sports in Bridgewater ma has some while back.

A while back, Dick's had it. NOT Cheap!

For the cost of a few boxes you could get into some inexpensive reloading.
Buy one box for the brass and the cheapest way out for reloading 303

Last edited by a moderator:
Bass pro and cabellas usually have it. Bout the same price as modern 30-06.....like a dollar a round.

Was at Four Seasons Saturday and they had a half dozen boxes out or so. I didn't ask if they had more.

As others have pointed out, it tends to be expensive. Way back when, you could get surplus .303 for cheap, but those days are long since gone. Which is too bad, because I like my No. 4 Mk1

I don't know how it works in Mass. but can't you ask your LGS to order from GRAF or some other place? Eighty cents apiece for full powered hunting ammunition sounds like a deal to me. PRVI is pretty good stuff.

I don't know how it works in Mass. but can't you ask your LGS to order from GRAF or some other place? Eighty cents apiece for full powered hunting ammunition sounds like a deal to me. PRVI is pretty good stuff.

I have had zero luck getting any LGS getting me anything from other places . If their (what ever supply chain ) distributor doesn't have it for get it. Plus that .80 cent per round ammo suddenly becomes 1.30 per round.

I tried many LGS to simple take delivery o f orders for me. None would even entertain the idea. I asked if they would do it for a % of the order or a flat fee and 0 money has to come out of their pocket.

Still nothing.... we just placed a bulk order for reload supplies had to be shipped in 4 boxes as we reached the hazmat limit for the size of the box....grand total for powder primers was just over 4500$ even if a LGS charged 15% to just simply take delivery that's easy money with no expense out of their pocket other than 4 boxes taking up a few squa r e feet for a day or 2?

Also if your wondering even at 15% service fee we are still saving good money on mail order.

Luckily we have a free state friend who charges 0.

Last edited:
It seems as though some of the out-of-the-way gun shops usually have some older Radway Green .303 British hanging around.
Since I can't name names, you'll have to PM me for a couple of possibilities. One is RI, the other two in CT. A telephone call can save any extra driving. I can work with you to purchase CT ammo... the one shop still has that clean French Lebel surplus ammo.

Speaking of .303 British and Enfields, does anyone recall the title of that series that ran on public television (CPTV, WGBH, et al...), possibly "Mystery", that had a British officer and several Indian soldiers. It was a drama that usually had the Indian accomplice using his Enfield regularly.

On another note, a friend came down to shoot and learn some reloading basics yesterday. He brought along three Swiss rifles and some Wolf Gold ammo to empty for a supply of boxer primed 7.5 Swiss. A few rounds of GP11 were available, too. Seems as though the Wolf shot just about as well as the GP11; same with our reloads, as far as that goes (we were only shooting about 80 meters however). The Wolf Gold route may also be a possibility for .303 British, too. Decent, reasonably-priced ammo that will also provide some brass for easy reloads.

If you have a supply of KV762N primers (.217" berdan), there are some brands of .303 British that use the smaller primer (most use the 6.47mm primers), so it is also reloadable, but with a little more effort/cost. Same applies to the GP11 brass, as most of you guys are well aware.

Last edited:
It seems as though some of the out-of-the-way gun shops usually have some older Radway Green .303 British hanging around.
Since I can't name names, you'll have to PM me for a couple of possibilities. One is RI, the other two in CT. A telephone call can save any extra driving. I can work with you to purchase CT ammo... the one shop still has that clean French Lebel surplus ammo.

Speaking of .303 British and Enfields, does anyone recall the title of that series that ran on public television (CPTV, WGBH, et al...), possibly "Mystery", that had a British officer and several Indian soldiers. It was a drama that usually had the Indian accomplice using his Enfield regularly.

On another note, a friend came down to shoot and learn some reloading basics yesterday. He brought along three Swiss rifles and some Wolf Gold ammo to empty for a supply of boxer primed 7.5 Swiss. A few rounds of GP11 were available, too. Seems as though the Wolf shot just about as well as the GP11; same with our reloads, as far as that goes (we were only shooting about 80 meters however). The Wolf Gold route may also be a possibility for .303 British, too. Decent, reasonably-priced ammo that will also provide some brass for easy reloads.

If you have a supply of KV762N primers (.217" berdan), there are some brands of .303 British that use the smaller primer (most use the 6.47mm primers), so it is also reloadable, but with a little more effort/cost. Same applies to the GP11 brass, as most of you guys are well aware.

I will give wolf gold a nod, its by far some very good stuff just short of expensive "match ammo" . The 8mm mauser wolf gold I shot up against some hornady match did much better... wolf beat it by a solid 2" @ 100 yards.
The PPU branded match ammo comes up for $18 or less for 20 rounds now and again. I have found the soft point offerings from PPU to be very good also.

Back
Top Bottom