• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY State Resident buying in another state (NH)

What can I buy in NH without shipping to an FFL with a NYS drivers license

Can I buy 762 and 223 ammo?

9mm pistol ammo?

Preban Mags for my AR?

If I wanted to buy an FS2000 they would ship it to my FFL in NYS correct? Assuming it only had a 10rd mag.

Are there any rifles that can be bought and not shipped to an FFL in NYS? Can I go up there buy a rifle and walk out the door after background check?

Any help would be appreciated I am new to this and do not quite understand all the ins and outs yet.

Last edited:
It's only handguns that have to be shipped to a FFL in your home state, as I recall. Longarms have to just comply with your home state's laws (AWB, etc).

It's only handguns that have to be shipped to a FFL in your home state, as I recall. Longarms have to just comply with your home state's laws (AWB, etc).

Since NY and NH are not adjacent states, the long arm transfer also needs to take place at a NY FFL.

Check BATF regs, they are very clear on this matter.

Since NY and NH are not adjacent states, the long arm transfer also needs to take place at a NY FFL.

That is not correct. The requirement for adjacency was dropped long ago. You can buy a long gun in any state, provided you obey the laws of both states. This is addressed in the ATF's FAQ, which reads, in part:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Full text is here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/

ammo is no problem, however you will want to be very very careful driving through MA if you do not have a MA non-resident permit.

Also make sure it's legal for you to own what you buy in NY.

You guys are awesome

I am new to this site and I am hooked. I really appreciate all the feedback. I am going to become a member. I have a dew more questions I am going to post I look forward to getting the answers.

1985 is calling. Something about mullets and Miami Vice. Asked that you call back when you get a chance.

the mor I read about NY gun laws, why do I get the ever growing suspicion that NY might actually be logistically harder to own/possess/have a permit in than MA?

just a weird vibe I get from reading....

the mor I read about NY gun laws, why do I get the ever growing suspicion that NY might actually be logistically harder to own/possess/have a permit in than MA?

You are correct... a friend of mine on L. I. explained what he had to do to purchase a handgun there. It's even worse than here.

Go to gun shop.
Purchase gun.
Get receipt, leave gun there.
Go to PD HQ (in Huntington, I think), do paperwork to own gun.
Go back to gun shop.
Pick up gun.

IIRC, he calls it the "Suffolk Shuffle". [rolleyes]

Not for AR's and AK's you dont have to tell the state sh?t, federal background check no going and registgering each thing you own and you can walk into walmart and buy any ammo you want as long as you are of age. Also Walmart sells mini 14 ranch I saw one on sale for 350 .....

Hand guns require you to go to the county clerk apply for a permit..they do background you get a card in the mail approx 2 months and then you use that card to buy handguns where they are sold. Also federal background again and oh yeah how many handguns can you get in MA? It seems like only a few manufacturers decided to kiss Teddy's A$$. Am I wrong or is it illegal to buy a new Glock in MA?

Last edited:
Am I wrong or is it illegal to buy a new Glock in MA?
Well... technically speaking, you ARE wrong. It's perfectly legal for me to BUY a new Glock. However, it IS against the Attorney General's "consumer protection regulations" for a licensed dealer (read: FFL) to SELL me a new Glock.

It works out the same, though. [angry] I don't particularly WANT to buy a new Glock, but I'd like to make that choice myself. Martha Coakley and her predecessors are lying hypocrites to say with a straight face that they're protecting us citizens by putting in, and maintaining, the regs that keep Glocks from being sold. Those regs are an unlawful gun ban, nothing more, nothing less.

Back
Top Bottom