.300 or 6.5??

je25ff

NES Member
Already on to starting my second AR build. My other two are carbine, CQB type guns so I want to build one that has a bit of tack driver to it. I've read that .300 is all the rage at the moment, and it will fit in a standard AR magazine so that's a plus. It's also good past 300 yards and shoots flatter than the 5.56. I've also read that the 6.5 can be nearly as effective and is a bit more available.

Which do you guys run or would prefer?

i think the 300 blackout is winning favor due to same magazine platform and good high power and subsonic performance. i am looking to pull the trigger on a 11.5 inch upper for an sbr w/can setup for home defense with a 60 round surefire mag and slide fire stock. i sold my mile long hbar upper recently but still need a chunk of change to get the whole package.

depends which you prefer, the slightly better availability of the 6.5 Grendel, not to mention insane the long-range capability (better than .308, from what I've heard) or the ability to suppress .300 blackout and use normal 5.56 magazines.

depends which you prefer, the slightly better availability of the 6.5 Grendel, not to mention insane the long-range capability (better than .308, from what I've heard) or the ability to suppress .300 blackout and use normal 5.56 magazines.

Just from an economical standpoint, the .300 wins because I can just use any of the 5.56 magazines I already have. Also, if .300 required a different magazine, I'm fairly sure finding a pre-ban would be almost impossible. Suppression isn't in the cards for me right now though (no class III and I live in MA). I'm still trying to figure out if I can fit a .300 winmag in an AR magazine. My guess is no.

Already on to starting my second AR build. My other two are carbine, CQB type guns so I want to build one that has a bit of tack driver to it. I've read that .300 is all the rage at the moment, and it will fit in a standard AR magazine so that's a plus. It's also good past 300 yards and shoots flatter than the 5.56. I've also read that the 6.5 can be nearly as effective and is a bit more available.

If you are talking 300 Whisper/Blackout, I think you got some erroneous info about it's ballistics; it's not flatter than the .223. It's decent out to 300 but kinda drops fast past that.

If you are talking 300 Whisper/Blackout, I think you got some erroneous info about it's ballistics; it's not flatter than the .223. It's decent out to 300 but kinda drops fast past that.

Ahh, I'm probably confusing the .300 whisper/blackout with the .300 winmag. That's my fault for not being clear. Huge difference there.

I'm really looking to use my existing, bare bones AR receiver to be a 500+ yard gun. I don't necessarily want a .308 (already have a .308 bolt gun) but something along the lines of .308 ballistics and range but in an AR platform. Building a .300 whisper/blackout gun is just a waste since I can't suppress it and, like you said, ballistics aren't better than 5.56 to make a change.

Guess I'm looking for suggestions on it.

Just from an economical standpoint, the .300 wins because I can just use any of the 5.56 magazines I already have. Also, if .300 required a different magazine, I'm fairly sure finding a pre-ban would be almost impossible. Suppression isn't in the cards for me right now though (no class III and I live in MA). I'm still trying to figure out if I can fit a .300 winmag in an AR magazine. My guess is no.

Are you talking .300 Blackout or .300 Win Mag? I'm confused. The Blackout is growing in AR popularity, I'm not aware of many Win Mag AR's.

What type of distances are you planning on shooting. If you are looking for something for distance and accuracy, the 6.5 Grendel is a much better option then .300 Blackout.

How high can you hold an apple?

Really what I'm trying to do is build something beyond what the 5.56 can do, not necessarily what I can do [wink]

Only reason I ask is because I used to get the urge to do something weird like build an odd ball gun, I looked at 6.8 myself, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it really would have been a waste because 223/556 punches paper and hits steal just as well at as far as I have the ability to shoot (500 yards). So instead of spending a bunch of money on a build that I would have a harder time finding ammo for, and since I wouldn't really see any of the benefits of a 6.8, I decided to stock up on 223 ammo instead. When I get the itch to shoot something different, I take my M14 or AK out of the safe.

Having said that, I will be putting together a super short 300blk when I move to NH, but that is because a 762 can is first on my list of fun stuff to buy.

Last edited:
Only reason I ask is because I used to get the urge to do something weird like build an odd ball gun, I looked at 6.8 myself, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it really would have been a waste because 223/556 punches paper and hits steal just as well at as far as I have the ability to shoot (500 yards). So instead of spending a bunch of money on a build that I would have a harder time finding ammo for, and since I wouldn't really see any of the benefits of a 6.8, I decided to stock up on 223 ammo instead. When I get the itch to shoot something different, I take my M14 out of the safe.

Having said that, I will be putting together a super short 300blk when I move to NH, but that is because a 762 can is first on my list of fun stuff to buy.

tumblr_mq278hJci31s19oe6o1_500.jpg

Only reason I ask is because I used to get the urge to do something weird like build an odd ball gun, I looked at 6.8 myself, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it really would have been a waste because 223/556 punches paper and hits steal just as well at as far as I have the ability to shoot (500 yards). So instead of spending a bunch of money on a build that I would have a harder time finding ammo for, and since I wouldn't really see any of the benefits of a 6.8, I decided to stock up on 223 ammo instead. When I get the itch to shoot something different, I take my M14 or AK out of the safe.

[rofl] Ok, so spend the money on ammo and screw the other caliber. Gotcha..

[rofl] Ok, so spend the money on ammo and screw the other caliber. Gotcha..

Just offering my experience. I didn't have a need for an other caliber, so I stuck to what I knew, and what was cheap and available.

But since when does need have anything to do with gun ownership? [cheers]

It sounds like the 6.5 grendel is what you want. I love mine, and if you want to try one out let me know. I stuck mine together when I lived out in AZ, and now that I live in MA, I feel like I can't really stretch it's legs out. As far as the mag issue with it, you can use 6.8 mag's as well as the 7.62 AR mags. It's not too hard to reload for. Though getting the components can be a chore. [wink] But a 123 grain A-Max is pretty good medicine. I may try to hunt with it in Maine this year.

If you want a tack driver then .300 is Not it. there have been a few makers drop the .300 in their rifles due to below par accuracy. The 6.5 hits harder but these is nothing that makes it more accurate, in the distances that we find here in the northeast. Also why pay the high ammo costs for no realistic benefit to punch holes in paper. The 6.5 as a hunting gun, then yes, as target then no.

So it seems like the consensus is that, if I want a round to hit a bit harder and shoot flatter than the 5.56, the best option is the 6.5 rather than the .300 winmag. Now I just have to check to see how the ammo availability is for the 6.5...

Ammo is not that difficult to get,. but then again, I can mail order ammo.

If you are looking for a higher end 6.5. I am selling mine. Bought an expensive mountain bike, so the safe queen has to go.

Attachments

• FB.jpg
    FB.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 60
6.5 gren ammo is available, cheaper than .308 if you know where to look for it. (And no I'm never telling my source.)
It is a pretty incredible round. I was paying $18 for a box of 20 hornady 123 grain factory loads.

Mine is set up with an 18" barrel in a SPR sort of go. So I think it'll be good this year up in Maine. As I will be working an area with very large open fields. As I said before, and the offer is open to all green members, if you want to learn more about this round, just ask and we can set something up. I shoot 6.5 more than .223 and .308 combined.

Anyone actually have a 6.5 upper and barrel that they like? How about a 6.8?

Last edited:

These rounds have a completely different focus.

The 6.5 was designed to maximize kinetic energy retention at long range out of a standard .223 length AR action.

The .300 was designed to:
1) in subsonic form, give decent down range performance while maximizing terminal ballistics in a round that can be very quiet when suppressed.
2) in supersonic form, give 7.62x39 levels of energy and power at short to medium ranges.

Based on your desire to shoot >300 yards it sounds like the 6.5 is the answer.

So it seems like the consensus is that, if I want a round to hit a bit harder and shoot flatter than the 5.56, the best option is the 6.5 rather than the .300 winmag. Now I just have to check to see how the ammo availability is for the 6.5...

Uh? When did .300 winmag enter this equation. The .300 win mag is head and shoulders above the 6.5. But its too big to fit in an AR. Even a .308 AR. So its not even in the running if we are talking about an AR.

And not at all an "AR variant". That is very much it's own rifle.

Exactly.

There are 2 basic AR patterns. Neither of which will take anything longer than a .308.

Its too bad. Most people don't realize it but a .300 win mag isn't all that long. Its the same length as a 30-06, the case is just much fatter.

As others have said, 300 Win Mag is completely different animal. I own an Armalite AR30 chambered in 300 Win Mag. Probably my most accurate rifle. The recoil is not bad out of the AR30. But then this is a rifle is large, heavy and designed to be shot off the bench, not carried through the woods and shot offhand. Can't imagine it would be much fun shooting this round out of a 9 pound AR15.

But it definitely would get you out to 500 yards.:)

A friend of mine has a lightweight .300 Win Mag bolt gun that he purchased for Elk Hunting. When you are Elk Hunting you do a lot of walking, plus you may need to reach out several hundred yards to hit a several hundred pound animal. This lends itself towards lightweight rifles with relatively thin barrels.

With a scope, it was around 9 lbs. It was nice to carry, weighing no more than his 30-06 Model 700. The recoil was punishing. Fortunately it is one of those guns you carry a lot and shoot a little.

A few years ago he sent it out and had the barrel ported. He says it cut the recoil by about 50% but made it much louder.

Regarding your thought on a 9 lb .300 win mag AR. You are probably off by about 3 lbs. Most .308 ARs weigh 9 lbs loaded before you even put an optic on them.

A friend of mine has a lightweight .300 Win Mag bolt gun that he purchased for Elk Hunting. When you are Elk Hunting you do a lot of walking, plus you may need to reach out several hundred yards to hit a several hundred pound animal. This lends itself towards lightweight rifles with relatively thin barrels.

They are great for elk hunting and covering terrain but they absolutely SUCK to sight them in, especially in a gun lighter than 9 pounds. I used to fire my buddies .338 Win Mag before out elk hunts and usually after 4 or 5 shots I was done with that thing. It would be interesting to see some of the folks who call the their Mosin punishing take one of these for a test drive [smile]

A few years ago he sent it out and had the barrel ported. He says it cut the recoil by about 50% but made it much louder.

I could never understand people wanting a ported rifle for hunting. I have yet to be on a hunt where I used ear protection, thought it is probably a good idea. Ported is just too damn loud for me. Then again I probably should have dropped $400+ into a good set of electronic ear plugs for hunting many years ago.

1. The amplified plugs are probably the ticket. This same guy had a Mossberg 835 Ultimag that he duck hunted with. It recoiled pretty hard so he sent it out to get magnaported. I made the mistake of being at about a 90 degree angle to the barrel, nearly even with the ports once. Wow. My ears were ringing for days. As I’m sure you know, you don’t normally even notice the noise when you are hunting. That was not the case here. It was PAIN.

Back
Top Bottom