• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

30/30 With Cast?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Anyone have a favorite load for plinking?

I have a plain based 170 FP bullet I'm messing with.

I think I'm going to load some with 8 or 10 grains of Unique for a light plinker.
I have some loaded with 22 grains fo 3031 to try out too.

For "normal loads" i was running varget and H4895.
16 grains of 2400 was a nice load also. i sold my 30/30 few years ago. i was running gas checks though.

For "normal loads" i was running varget and H4895.
16 grains of 2400 was a nice load also. i sold my 30/30 few years ago.
Well that's not fun!
I was about to load some when I realized I had zero brass prepped up. The few that had primers in the container were actually pull down from old ammo.
So I just sized, trimmed, and M-Die expanded a bunch of cases. Now they're tumbling to remove the Dillon lube.
I guess I"ll load them tomorrow morning.
I would like to settle on one decent cast load. I don't need blistering velocities but I don't want to set my sights for a bunny fart load either.
I do have a tang sight on my Marlin so I guess I could regulate the bunny fart load to the buckhorn and the hotter load to the peep for longer shots.

well so far 2400 and a 170 grain "ranch dog" which is a "30/30" bullet 170gn tumble lube design FN, Gas checked...

Plain base coated I would think could hold some velocity? 2400 grains in my target load for 30-06 is just touching 1600 fps but checked.

you could use Hodgdon H4895 and use their reduced load formular for H4895

well so far 2400 and a 170 grain "ranch dog" which is a "30/30" bullet 170gn tumble lube design FN, Gas checked...

Plain base coated I would think could hold some velocity? 2400 grains in my target load for 30-06 is just touching 1600 fps but checked.

you could use Hodgdon H4895 and use their reduced load formular for H4895
Good idea. I didn’t even think of the reduced 4895 loads

Try 12 to 14 gr of Red Dot if you have any on hand. It's what I use for plinking loads with multiple weight cast bullets in my 308. This is a universal load by C.E. Harris.
Just note that a few years after publishing it, Mr. Harris commented that he does not recommend the Red Dot loads anymore, he recommends his universal load of 16-grns of the 2400 powder.

Unique is also a favorite, as is SR-4759 which unfortunately was discontinued. Good thing I have some on hand!

Last edited:
Just note that a few years after publishing it, Mr. Harris commented that he does not recommend the Red Dot loads anymore, he recommends his universal load of 16-grns of the 2400 powder.

Unique is also a favorite, as is SR-4759 which unfortunately was discontinued. Good thing I have some on hand!

Wow I’ve never heard that. Do you have an article. I would love to read that.

I usually go back to an older Lyman manual for unique loads.
They in damn near every rifle cartridge load data for cast bullets. Usually with good accuracy too.

I think he just found 2400 to do better vs anything actually wrong with red dot?
I will recommend to all if you have a link to any of these articles post them.
I’m trying to stock Pile them on my PC and put them on a thumb drive

I don't even shoot anything in .30-30, but I have loaded a few variations for this caliber. I usually load the Lyman 311008 with 7 to 8 grains (give or take) of Unique, or similar. Adjust to taste; a minimum to get them to clear the barrel, of course. These make for easy shooting plinkers for Junior or the Mrs.
The 22LR sabots, plastic training bullets and frangibles work, too, but use pointed bullets 1+1 or single-shot in tubular magazine fed rifles.

Attachments

• .30-30Win..jpg
    .30-30Win..jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 12
  • .30-30asst1b.jpg
    .30-30asst1b.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Sabot22a.jpg
    Sabot22a.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 11
While I can't speak for the thuddy thuddy I do have a nice load for my 35 Rem using 10.5 gr of Unique over a Lymann 204gr RNGC. Works great in my Marlin 336. (load data from memory originally from Lymann manual)
I love Unique. I use it for my 12ga trap loads and my 38spl range loads. I sometimes even put it on my Wheaties*.
*California prop 65 does not recommend the use of Unique or other smokeless powders as a flavoring accent to breakfast cerials

Last edited:
I load 8 "ish" gr of Unique under a cast 180gr RN with great results. Its a very economical load and the muzzle report/recoil is minimal. I call it my "popcorn fart" load.

I'm particularly fond of this combo for extended plinking with a TC Contender in 30/30 with a super 14" barrel. If memory serves me, the above load yielded 1,300fps and produced groups as good as any other load out of that pistol.

My load data came from the Lyman 49th, they have a good selection of popular cartridges using cast bullets and unique.

I don't even shoot anything in .30-30, but I have loaded a few variations for this caliber. I usually load the Lyman 311008 with 7 to 8 grains (give or take) of Unique, or similar. Adjust to taste; a minimum to get them to clear the barrel, of course. These make for easy shooting plinkers for Junior or the Mrs.
The 22LR sabots, plastic training bullets and frangibles work, too, but use pointed bullets 1+1 or single-shot in tubular magazine fed rifles.

Did you melt or otherwise fill those .22's with lead to make projos out of them? That's a lot of not-in-the-book load development right there! Cool.

PS how do they shoot??

Did you melt or otherwise fill those .22's with lead to make projos out of them? That's a lot of not-in-the-book load development right there! Cool.

PS how do they shoot??
Many years ago a old timer would pick up all the 22 lr cases.
Claimed he made jacketed bullets for his varmint rifle in 222
Many years later he was trying to sell his bullet swage set up.
Wish I,had the coin. All sorts of cool stuff , lead wire, copper jackets , commercial casting machine.

I have a home made setup for swaging .223 bullets using fired .22 lr cases. It works well and the bullets are surprisingly accurate. It is extremely time consuming. I did it for the sake of doing it. Much better to buy projectiles ready to load for 10 cents or so.

PS how do they shoot??

Yes, molten lead poured into a .22 LR; makes about a 62gr projectile.
Quite surprisingly, they run stable to 100 meters; I haven't fired them further then that. Not having a .30-30, I ran them in an FR-7 (7.62x51mm) and a K31 (7.5x55mm). If you run them too slow or too close, you may not get proper sabot separation. Generally, the sabot will peel away like a flower blossom.

Attachments

• .22LRSabot2.jpg
    .22LRSabot2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7.5SwissSabot2.jpg
    7.5SwissSabot2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CrispHoles2.jpg
    CrispHoles2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 8
Many years ago a old timer would pick up all the 22 lr cases.
Claimed he made jacketed bullets for his varmint rifle in 222
Many years later he was trying to sell his bullet swage set up.
Wish I,had the coin. All sorts of cool stuff , lead wire, copper jackets , commercial casting machine.
If memory serves me, Vernon Speer got his start making jackets from spent casings. My dad claimed to have gotten Speer bullets with random headstamps on the bullet base.
I'll have to see if I can find my old Speer reloading manual (early 80's). I think the history is in it

I've been loading 7.5gr of trail boss behind a cast lead boolit for 30/30 and I'm not sure it's as much recoil as a .22LR. The point of impact is maybe 8 inches lower at 50 yards but otherwise they shoot fine and accurately.

Back
Top Bottom