.30-30 vs .308 (warning newbie question)

Newbie reloading question here. From everything I see the bullets marked 3030 are the same as .308 except typically with a flat point.. is there any other issue? Can I load a 150gr (3030) bullet into a .308 cartridge safety??

ok.. sounds good.. just measured one against a Hornady and I notice the canilure on the 30-30 is marginally higher (toward the business end that is)on the bullet than on the .308. COL will be very important as I dont want higher pressures.. any ideas on how to adjust, or is the .1 inch or so difference not that much?

Cannelures will vary widely between different bullet types. I have loaded plenty of ammo where the cannelure was not lined ideally with the COL.

Jacketed bullets are made to different hardnesses, with heavier and lighter jackets, to control expansion at higher and lower velocities.

This means that a bullet made for the 30-30 would not penetrate properly if driven to the higher velocity of the .300 Magnums, and a more heavily constructed bullet that was designed for the magnums would probably not expand at all, at the lower velocity of the 30-30.
A further example: The lightweight and thin jacketed bullets made for the .222 Remington will sometimes disintegrate in flight when pushed to maximum velocity on the 22-250, .225 Winchester, or .220 Swift.

If you are not shooting a tubular magazine gun or a heavy recoiling magnum, you can ignore the crimp groove and load the bullets to the best length for your caliber.
Even if the bullets are not suited for hunting, you may still get good enough results for casual target shooting.

Jack

I have a 30-30 bullet karma going in the members forum. Before I put them up for that I
talked to the Hornady CSR about them. He advised me not to use them in any other
rifle but a 30-30 due to the velocity limitations of the bullet. For instance a .308 or a
30-06 would possible fragment the bullet after shooting and the most likely problem
he stated was that it would not expand correctly. I mentioned I would be using them for
paper targets and I would not be concerned with expansion but he was pretty reluctant to
endorse that due to the possibility of fragmenting. He stated that they just aren't made to
handle the higher velocity. I then mentioned downloading the round and he said that could
be done but the better option is not to use them and get the correct bullets. I only had
one box so that is the direction I took.

Jacketed bullets are made to different hardnesses, with heavier and lighter jackets, to control expansion at higher and lower velocities.

This means that a bullet made for the 30-30 would not penetrate properly if driven to the higher velocity of the .300 Magnums, and a more heavily constructed bullet that was designed for the magnums would probably not expand at all, at the lower velocity of the 30-30.
A further example: The lightweight and thin jacketed bullets made for the .222 Remington will sometimes disintegrate in flight when pushed to maximum velocity on the 22-250, .225 Winchester, or .220 Swift.

If you are not shooting a tubular magazine gun or a heavy recoiling magnum, you can ignore the crimp groove and load the bullets to the best length for your caliber.
Even if the bullets are not suited for hunting, you may still get good enough results for casual target shooting.

Jack
tnx.. plinking is the name of the game for these.....

I have a 30-30 bullet karma going in the members forum. Before I put them up for that I
talked to the Hornady CSR about them. He advised me not to use them in any other
rifle but a 30-30 due to the velocity limitations of the bullet. For instance a .308 or a
30-06 would possible fragment the bullet after shooting and the most likely problem
he stated was that it would not expand correctly. I mentioned I would be using them for
paper targets and I would not be concerned with expansion but he was pretty reluctant to
endorse that due to the possibility of fragmenting. He stated that they just aren't made to
handle the higher velocity. I then mentioned downloading the round and he said that could
be done but the better option is not to use them and get the correct bullets. I only had
one box so that is the direction I took.

Error on the side of safety... I have 200 bullets,... need some extra for your Karma?

Error on the side of safety... I have 200 bullets,... need some extra for your Karma?

Jump in on the members forum, the waters fine. There are a bunch of guys that are drooling
over them as they have 30-30's and reload. Just post that you are including them as well
and when I pick a winner I will post it and you can send it to them (or have them pick them up).
Here's the link: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50747

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom