3 References

So I went to the local police station to pick up the form for the NH carry permit, the officer behind the counter was very nice, but as part of conversation he told me that they "prefer" the required three references to be from the local (NH/MA) area.

As I just moved here from NJ I don't really know anyone local (except my realtor) and was planning to use friends back in NJ.

There is no legal requirement in NH for the references to be local but at the same time I don't want to cause any issues with the local police.

So what should I do? list 3 references who know me well enough to vouch for me but aren't local, or try to find 3 locals who will act as a reference but don't really know me that well??

Suggestions appreciated.

(as an aside they definately seem to be picking up bad habits from MA [wink] the form doesn't ask for any phone numbers but they said they also "require" my phone number, my employers phone number, and my three references' phone numbers)

Last edited:
MarkM said:
Suggestions appreciated.

You belong to NES, and you moved from communist NJ to free NH, so you can't be all that bad...

PM me, and I'll give you my info to put down for a reference.

Adam

Pilgrim said:
employer's phone number? ALARM going off !

What are they going to do check with your boss, and let him know you've got a gun?

I believe the MA application requires employer info on it as well...

Adam

Don't worry, it's NH. They probably will only run a quick background check to see if you've got a record, then issue the permit. I gave them the same info when I applied for my NR Permit from them, and they didn't check any of it. Now remember, my state doesn't require CCW Permits, but we submit a letter from our Chief LEO (County Sheriff in my case).

You could just tell them that you don't need the P&R permit, you'll just save the $10 and carry openly, which last I heard is still legal in NH, that may change their nosey little minds.

ETA what Nickel wrote is what they are supposed to do, a NH State Police record check and issue the P&R regardless of their thoughts if your record comes back clean.

Thanks for the offer Adam, PM about to be sent.

I'm not worried about them calling my employer and telling him I have a gun: I am self-employed [rofl]

Adam_MA said:

It does; however, it is only relevant if you are using that employment as the basis for the license. Note that the retired still get licensed. [wink]

Adam_MA said:

Adam

What does one do in this situation?... (snipped for brevity. Full story is here
http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=6655 )

WORCESTER - Revisions that Police Chief Gary J. Gemme has made to the Police Department's gun-licensing policy have made it one of the most stringent in the state, the chief said, calling it an effort to limit who is eligible to obtain a gun license in Worcester.

Chief Gemme said his new policy narrows the definition of a "suitable" person.

Under his plan, an applicant can be disqualified if he or she:

Has been arrested for a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years;

Has been arrested for any felony or any incident involving physical violence or threats to commit physical violence;

Has been involved in a domestic violence incident that results in the issuance of a temporary or permanent restraining order against him or her;

Has had any drug arrest, including marijuana;

Does not have a job;

Has been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or has multiple minor alcohol-related arrests;

Has had any past or present affiliation, association or cohabitation with any person or group with a known criminal history.

Moreover, the chief said he will ask applicants their intended use of the weapon, rather than allowing them to check off a box saying it's for "all lawful purposes."

Under the chief's plan, the only allowed purposes will be:

Sporting, for which the gun can be used only at shooting and target clubs;

Target practice, for which it can be used only at a shooting club or facility;

Hunting, for which a license will only be issued for a large- capacity rifle and a shotgun;

Personal protection, in which case the applicant must specify the reason he fears injury to himself or his property.

The chief also listed criteria an applicant must follow under the personal protection category: If a license is issued for work or employment, the weapon may only be used while acting within the scope of employment, such as transporting money to and from a place of employment or depository. If it's for a business, the weapon may only be kept at the business, or may be carried within a set time frame. If the weapon is used for protection at home, the license holder may not remove the weapon from the home. Anyone violating the terms of the license could see the license revoked.

Are any of these disqualifying factors still an issue with Gemme, or have they been resolved/put on hold?

Not that it really matters. The simple fact that Gemme even thinks like that and trys to justify it, speaks volumes for the justice in a "May Issue" system.

So if you live in Worcester and are retired there's no way you're going to get a license? Forget everything else; looks like a prime age discrimination case to me. Courts? We don't need no stinkin' courts. We've got the MCAD.

Ken

After reading this and KMaurer's post, I wonder if anyone would write the AARP for abvious age discrimination.

Be interesting to see what happens, and I mean Pols listen to the AARP because older people tend to vote a lot more often than younger people.

Mark, don't worry about the NJ references. Use Adam's and add two you know from NJ. If they ask, explain that you just moved here.

Lynne said:
Mark, don't worry about the NJ references. Use Adam's and add two you know from NJ. If they ask, explain that you just moved here.

Thats just about what I did, Adam, my NH realtor, and and old friend who works in DC and if they call will probably answer the phone "Homeland Security" [smile]

They told me a week to 10 days so lets see if they follow through on that. I was a good boy though and put on all the phone numbers they ask for that aren't required by NH law.

Still a better process than New Jersey where your fingerprints are sent to the state and the FBI just to get the "right" to own any gun or to purchase a handgun (just about everything up here is better and nicer than NJ, the girls in the town clerk's office already know me by name: Mr Cute Accent [wink])

That's a real pain in the rear. I didn't put any phone numbers for the references and had my license in two days.

I read the post and the article about the chief> I'm asking goal to come down
real hard on the chief..... we need some standard that each town
or chiefdome must follow.... regardless of what it is, and no chief can
by law vary from it.... DENIAL for all lawful purposes should be the standard,
not based on someones opinion.

so where do we start...

JimB

When I got back from vacation on Sat, there was a message from a detective at the Windham police department. Freaked me out at first, but then I remembered Mark had put me down for a reference. I called back, but she wouldn't be back until today.. I left her a message with my cell #, but haven't heard back from her yet.

I'll post another reply if I hear back from her.

Adam

Well,
I called the detective back yesterday evening. She asked me questions like how I know Mark, how long etc. Then, she starts asking me questions about drug and alcohol abuse, and then she starts to ask me about domestic violence. Wants to know if I have ever known Mark to be a violent man, or if he has ever been accused of any crimes, if I have ever known him to engage in any other illegal activities.

I told her, that outside that one night that we were out drinking, and snorting cocaine until 4 am, and when we stumbled back into his house and his wife started yelling when Mark was asking her where she had put the heroin and needles, and needed to be "put back into her rightful place" (it was her fault after all) and that the result was ONLY one black eye, busted lip, that Mark was an outstanding candidate for a pistol permit![smile]

Seriously though, the phone interview lasted much longer than I had expected and when she asked me how I would feel if Mark was issued a pistol permit, I think she was a little surprised at my answer... "Ma'am I would feel much safer knowing that an upstanding man like Mr. M was carrying a pistol" She thanked me for my time.

Any way, you should get your permit, it is NH after all, I'm just surprised at the questions that were asked. I wonder if anyone would actually put down a reference that wouldn't speak good of them?

Adam

Mark: PM inbound

Very interesting questions for a "shall issue" state, especially as there is nothing in state law about getting phone numbers, calling references and employers etc.

I hope it is just them being thorough because they are so close to MA (don't want mumbles Merino mad at them [wink]), and not them looking for a "reason" to reject the application.

Thanks Adam.

Adam_MA said:
I wonder if anyone would actually put down a reference that wouldn't speak good of them?

Adam

Mark: PM inbound

Yes, there are still morons out there!

Do a search here on a "women's issue" thread and you'll find my longer version of this story, but basically I had one co-worker at the late DEC that asked to put me down as a reference so he could get his LTC. His stated reason for doing so (to me) was basically he wanted it for "date rape" purposes! I told him NO! But in MA, I am unaware of anyone actually checking references on LTC applications.

Back
Top Bottom