3 for 100

An older friend of mine hade these laying around and wanted them out of the house. He didnt want anything but I gave him 100 bucks. Model 36, a high standard sport king .22 and what I think is a model 15

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

If you give me the serial numbers, with any letter prefix and with the last three numbers replaced by x's, I can give you a good idea of the date of manufacture.

edited to add: For the S&W's only.

Thanks for all the replies. I remember a couple of weeks ago someone posted that they were given a couple of free guns. At that time I thought, wow I never have that luck. On Saturday I get handed a shoe box and was asked if I wanted some old guns. = very happy.

At first I thought I would trade them in and may be out the $ to something new. I have done some looking around in regards to the high standard sport king and think I will keep it. I have to get the mag checked, it is real tight and may have a bend in it.

The smith that I thought was a model 10 or 15 has never been fired. It does have some scuff marks but other than that its looks real nice. The model 36 was carried on an ankle holster for many years and shows wear.

FPrice. Any help with a date of mfc would be great - k 1017xx and 666jxx

Thanks

k 1017xx and 666jxx

K1017xx would be about late 1950 and would make this an early Combat Masterpiece, a pre-Model 15. If you ever want to sell it, please let me know.

666jxx is about 1972. This should be a Model 36-1.

FPrice said:
If you give me the serial numbers, with any letter prefix and with the last three numbers replaced by x's, I can give you a good idea of the date of manufacture.

edited to add: For the S&W's only.

What is the big deal about throwing in the xxx's at the end. I don't understand this curious gunny custom. You afraid someone is gonna make some spurious claim that your gun is his?

Explain.

Cross-X said:
What is the big deal about throwing in the xxx's at the end. I don't understand this curious gunny custom. You afraid someone is gonna make some spurious claim that your gun is his?

Explain.

Darius,

Some feel that. Others just like to maintain some privacy. Besides, with the information I have at hand every number won't make a difference in the accuracy of my estimate. So that's what i ask for.

TOM-P said:
FPrice, I cant thank you enough. It would have taken me forever to figure that out. Thanks again

Tom,

You are welcome. I do it out of my love for older S&W's.

OK, makes a bit of sense.

I guess we gunnies sometimes tend to be security conscious to the point of near paranoia.

When I see a bunch of xxx's it excites me. (he says as he ducks and runs away from the ever-present Lynne and Len)

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
OK, makes a bit of sense.

I guess we gunnies sometimes tend to be security conscious to the point of near paranoia.

When I see a bunch of xxx's it excites me. (he says as he ducks and runs away from the ever-present Lynne and Len)

It's kind of easy to be a paranoid gunnie in the People's Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I was trying to think of some cute "x's" to end this post with but my brain is still in sleep mode.

Back
Top Bottom